The Goat Spot Forum banner
101 - 120 of 147 Posts

·
Registered
322 Posts
Discussion Starter · #101 ·
I don't start training my goats to pull until they are at least two years old (and big enough to fill out the harness!). But before that I spend a lot of time walking and hiking with them, teaching them to stand tied, walk nicely on a leash, ride in the truck bed, and become comfortable around strange sights, loud noises, unfamiliar dogs and people, and traffic. If you want more info specifically regarding harness training, you can find some articles on my website here: https://www.goatorama.com/articles/
Could I use harness training for just walking them on a harness? My goats like to walk in the neighborhood. The neighbor kids pet them and give them some treats from their pantry. Plus, I want to start hiking with them and a leash is required on a lot of trails. Plus, they don't know their names.

Let me rephrase that. They know their names. It's obvious they do. They just don't like listening.

·
Registered
3,759 Posts
If they associate their names with a treat, scratches, loves, etc. they'll start liking to listen. ;)

I don't walk my goats in harnesses. I actually don't like walking any strong animal in a harness--it's too hard to control them! My goats' harnesses are for pulling so teaching my goats to stop in response to harness pressure would untrain them. I use halters to lead my goats and they learn to give in to halter pressure. This training works for both leading and driving with reins so they don't get confused. My goats are very large and strong so if they spooked or ran toward a tasty bush, I wouldn't be able to hang onto them with a harness--they'd pull me over and not even notice! A halter gives me enough leverage to control my goats even if they see a bear and try to bolt.

Small breeds like Nigerian Dwarfs aren't usually strong enough to require halters, but they're still strong enough I wouldn't want to try to control them with a harness.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Is it supposed to be like Monterey and Colby Jack like the cheeses?

Just making sure because I've run into some people who named their animals like that and had no idea the names added up to something else.
Haha! Yes, they are named that way on purpose. I originally was just getting the two half brothers and had named them Colby and Jack. Then the breeder decided she didn't want the other twin brother, so we took him as well and named him Monterey to fit the theme :)

·
Registered
322 Posts
Discussion Starter · #107 ·
Hey guys! Been awhile since I've been on The Goat Spot. The whole thing looks a lot different!

I'm happy to say that Snickerdoodle finally got rid of whatever crawled up her butt and died. She's finally a bit less of a $#!+#[email protected]) to everybody. She's more gentle all of a sudden, a lot less picky, and likes to play with the neighbor's dog, Neeko. He'll chase her around the barn for about 3 laps max, then she'll call it quits and jump on a trailer or the picnic table for a breather.

What's new with you guys?

·
Registered
322 Posts
Discussion Starter · #115 ·
Guys, we learned recently that Jimmy has a fart that can kill a large family

We have an apartment in our barn, and my "Uncle" Al rents it out from my dad as a barber shop. He likes the goats, and lets them hang out in there sometimes

So one day, Jimmy and Snickerdoodle were hanging out with us in there. Snickerdoodle was begging at my dad, since he was eating out of Al's jar of peanut butter pretzels- Sorry, I mean goat crack. Jimmy was asleep under Al's counter. We're just hanging out, talking, trying to get Snickerdoodle to catch a pretzel in midair (she hasn't mastered that yet). All of a sudden, we hear somebody just rip butt. Nobody confesses to the crime, so we let it go. Like 5 seconds later, it smells like a combination of a dog fart and sasquatch (I'm a bigfoot enthusiast. Look up what sasquatch smells like). Jimmy just sits there, staring at us, and it looked like he had a little stoned grin

It was awhile before he was allowed in the barbershop again

·
Registered
3,759 Posts
Do you have any pictures?
This is my kidding thread:

I need to add more pictures soon though! I only posted newborn photos and now the last set of kids will be two weeks old on Saturday! In my defense, I've either been out of town or just crazy busy this past couple weeks.

·
Registered
322 Posts
Discussion Starter · #119 ·
This is my kidding thread:

I need to add more pictures soon though! I only posted newborn photos and now the last set of kids will be two weeks old on Saturday! In my defense, I've either been out of town or just crazy busy this past couple weeks.
Just checked them out. Sonic is a great dad! My dad's Highlander bull, Copper, seems to be the same way. He likes the calves.

We had an attempted birth yesterday. It didn't work out, the calf died coming out. Copper smelled the blood, and since the cow, Zenniah, had nerve damage (rough birth) and was lying down (she still can't get up, but the vet came out and helped), he thought my dad was killing off the calves. He almost ran him over! Some cowgirls nearby had to chase him into our corrals and we moved him to our other property for the duration of calving season.

101 - 120 of 147 Posts