Pet Peeves

Discussion in 'The Chatter Box' started by goatygirl8, May 4, 2018.

1. goatygirl8

goatygirl8 Member

Nov 26, 2017
    What are your pet peeves of the goat world?
    Personally my biggest pet peeve is people breeding their goats without a purpose. Like breeding a doe having the kid and drying the doe up to do it the next year without any sense of need or reason besides wanting cute and fluffy kids.

Yours?

2. Suzanne_Tyler

Suzanne_Tyler GreenTGoats

Jul 19, 2014
    NC
    When ignorant people try to use my goats to teach their kids wrong information about goats.

Miller'sLostGoat and luvmyherd like this.

3. Maureen Harmon

Maureen Harmon Active Member

Jul 19, 2017
    Peru, NY
    When people tell me goats are creepy and evil.... morons.

4. Jessica84

Jessica84 Well-Known Member

Oct 27, 2011
    California
    I could write a book on this! I’ll keep it short though and just do the one I see the most and the one bothering me right now
    When people rant that a goat is priced too high just because “blah blah” whenever I hear this I’m like who cares! Show me the Kelly blue book on Goats!
    Buyers trying to get you to lower your price. Ok it never hurts to ask and when I’m asked I don’t get upset about it but this is a perfect example:
    Last night got a text
    Guy- what’s the lowest you’ll go on these 4 does?
    Me- ok instead of $1,300 I’ll sell for $1200
    Guy- what’s the best you can do
    Me-$1200
    Guy- I need a buck you have a buck?
    Me- yes this one, if you buy with the does I’ll sell for $600
    Guy what’s the best you can do?
    Me (annoyed now) $1900 (instead of $1800)
    Guy- I’ll give you $250 each
    Me-$2000 or I’ll keep them
    I have decided that this is my new thing!
    Ok and one more, when you ask someone for a price because they don’t have it listed (which annoys me) and you can’t afford it so thank them and let them know you can’t do that at this time and it’s “your really missing out on a great goat for that money! It will do amazing things for your herd” I’m like ok let me go rob a bank real fast! You don’t care that I’ll be in jail and can’t feed it right?

Dwarf Dad, Madgoat and SalteyLove like this.
  5. Goats Rock

Goats Rock Member

Jun 20, 2011
    NE Ohio
    When you sell goats (kids, adults, whatever), go over all the care, how to feed, (especially bottle kids), bend over backwards to make sure all is well, only to have them call a week or 2 later. Their "friend" who knows everything told them all this incorrect info, now the animal is sick or dying and they want you to fix it.

Sometimes it is easier to just send the goats to the sale barn.

6. WhiteFeatherFarms

WhiteFeatherFarms Member

Jun 29, 2017
    I’m still pretty new, so not selling milk or kids yet, but it makes me crazy that everyone says ‘Goats eat EVERYTHING!’ I’m like, yea, unless you want them to eat it, or God forbid it falls on the ground!!!

7. goatygirl8

goatygirl8 Member

Nov 26, 2017
    I have a new one!
    People getting a goat and asking you for information but picking and choosing what information they want and what they don't want especially if it is easier to not listen to somethings.

LamanchaAcres likes this.
  8. lifesabtchlearn2deal

lifesabtchlearn2deal Active Member

Mar 26, 2018
    I seemed to do that when my last momma was going thru her vaginal prolapse but I also ran every idea that was given to me by my vet before doing anything. He had been helping me from the start before I'd posted anything. He was happy to let me try anything he thought could possibly be helpful but some things he didn't want me doing because it would mess with the medications he was giving her

9. goatblessings

goatblessings Fair-Haven Supporting Member

Jan 5, 2015
    Southwest Ohio
    People having goats they purchased going on 1 1/2 years and not bothering to find out anything for themselves. "Can you clip for me?" "Can you tattoo for me?" "My goat's in labor what do I do now?" "What - you mean I need to take some poop to the vet?" "What are probiotics?" "I don't want to spend the money on a vet can you come look at her?"- Even though when they purchased the goats you gave them info AND pointed them toward reliable sites like this to help educate them! If you don't want to do the work don't have goats - or any other livestock for that matter.

10. Jessica84

Oct 27, 2011
    California
    Well that’s kinda one for me too BUT if someone (you) went onto a group and asked for opinions I see that as your wanting a very large variety of opinions to pick and choose from.
    I had one gal call me asking about giving copper boluses because her goats had fish tails. I spent a long time explaining it to her, finding sites and sending to her. Then she tells me later that she asked a vet on FB and they said it’s all a myth. I don’t claim to know everything but it does bother me when I put life on hold to help someone that calls or messages me and they turn around and basically tell me I’m wrong. When I’m giving it on here? I’m basically on here when I have nothing better to do, don’t feel good, taking a break......basically no life at the moment lol

Goat_Scout likes this.
  11. WhiteFeatherFarms

WhiteFeatherFarms Member

Jun 29, 2017
    I agree with you 100%!! In the short time I’ve had goats I’ve met several people who don’t want to learn how to do things &/or think they’ll save money not using a vet & then upset when their animals don’t make it! They’re always surprised at everything I do & have learned to do, but if you’re going to have them, then you should always be learning! I also have a good friend that is like this with their dogs & it annoys me bc I think when you get an animal, it’s a commitment to care for them!

12. Deborah Haney

Deborah Haney Active Member

Jul 11, 2017
    "Are they pygmys?"
    - anyone who ever comes to my house, walks by the yard, or sees us while we're on a walk or hike.

I'm fully aware that it's not really fair to be annoyed at this honest question, I'm just getting tired of answering it.

Also people thinking we got them to mow our lawn. We would have gotten a mini horse if we didn't want to mow anymore. Plus, our lawn is mostly creeping buttercup. They don't eat it because it tastes bad, which is good because it's toxic.

Jennifer Keyes likes this.
  13. Audrey LeRoux

Audrey LeRoux New Member

Apr 2, 2018
    My biggest is when it comes to breeding. I absolutely HATE it when people refer to being "out of" the buck and "by" the doe.

lottsagoats1 likes this.
  14. Goats Rock

Goats Rock Member

Jun 20, 2011
    NE Ohio
    The first question people ask when they know I have goats (dairy) is "Are they fainting goats, can I see them fall down?" WHAT? First, why would someone want to scare something so much that it falls down, and second, no, I have dairy goats. Then the entire "oh gross, you DRINK goat milk"? What is wrong with people. The older I get, the less patience I have. Especially after explaining the difference in meat vs. dairy vs. pet. Sheesh! ;)

15. yankeedoodle

yankeedoodle Active Member

Apr 12, 2018
    Fraser Valley,B.C.
    Mine is that there aren't more vets for small ruminants out there. I mean, there just is'nt that many that you know you can trust.
    Considering going to school to get certified my self.

Dowackado, Raynee Jensen and Damfino like this.
  16. toth boer goats

toth boer goats Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Jul 20, 2008
    Corning California
    Oh boy, pet peeves, don't get me started. ;)

yankeedoodle and Goat_Scout like this.
  17. SalteyLove

SalteyLove Well-Known Member

Jun 18, 2011
    New England
    What is the correct terminology?

Sfgwife likes this.
  18. Jessica84

Oct 27, 2011
    California
    Out of the doe by the buck. I always used to say out of X doe and X buck then I saw a rant about it and was looks OOPS! Lol

groovyoldlady likes this.
  19. groovyoldlady

groovyoldlady Goat Crazy!

Jul 21, 2011
    Central Maine
    I charge fairly low prices because I'm not one of the "BIG" breeders, but people always seem shocked by the prices.

20. Goat_Scout

Goat_Scout Well-Known Member

Mar 23, 2017
    Louisiana
    Oh yeah, almost EVERYONE asks if I have Fainting goats....
    I used to have two, but after a while it got so that I would hide them when any young people would come over, because my brother would tell them about how they “faint” and then they’d want to go out to the pasture and chase them to make them faint! My poor, sweet girls!! :( :(