Pet Peeves

Discussion in 'The Chatter Box' started by goatygirl8, May 4, 2018.

1. Moers kiko boars

Moers kiko boars Well-Known Member

Apr 22, 2018
    Oklahoma
    Hey Jessica84..just tell problem mommy she can have it next year! Unless you want to keep the stress up. Alot of times they back off..or take it and wonder why everyone is calling last years leader to help them. Lol lol. :clever:

2. Goatzrule

Goatzrule Well-Known Member

Feb 7, 2013
    New England
    We had the opposite problem. Parents used our club like a daycare. Dropping their kids off and never doing any actual work, when their kids sign up to do something they would never do it then complain because their kid wasnt included. Always sign up to the fair after registration closes then call begging to get in. Show up to care for their lease goat once and leave a mess.
    I dont envy you at all, sounds like the mom needs a hit to the ego

3. Jessica84

Jessica84 Well-Known Member

Oct 27, 2011
    California
    Oh gosh Moers with as.........wonderful and loving as she is towards me I would seriously worry about how my kids would be treated if I did that. Savanna has two more years before she can do FFA. If she wants it then, it’s all hers. I highly doubt she will still be in our club by then. I was getting pretty good and just pretending she didn’t say anything. No doubt she is going to get worse! But it is what it is. I’m volunteering, I actually paid money to volunteer, what’s she going to do get me fired lol
    Goatzrule I can see that being frustrating too. Thankfully we really don’t have any of that going on. If anything we have to total opposite of that in our group.

Iluvlilly! and Moers kiko boars like this.
  4. Goatzrule

Feb 7, 2013
    New England
    Sounds like there is no winning with either. If only parents knew what it took to run a club. It takes a lot of passion to be able to put with the parents and not quit on the spot. A leader has to play vet, babysitter, therapist, judge and teacher without being paid.

5. Moers kiko boars

Apr 22, 2018
    Oklahoma
    :up: hey Goatzrule..you get paid. ItS not always in money..some is in frustration.
    And miss Princess Jessica84! For some stRAnge reason...I dont think this moody mommy is anything for you to even concern your self with. Shes just a drama mama doing the blah blah dance with little whiney thrown in.
    Just wait till you kids join FFA..you walk in to the Spring Fun Dance..and over 100 kids run towards you yelling Mommy! Lol lol All my 4hers and FFAers new me..lol lol . So that was PAYMENT IN FULL! :omg:

GoofyGoat, Goatzrule and Iluvlilly! like this.
  6. Jessica84

Oct 27, 2011
    California
    Your right it is a lot. And I think it would be a good idea for every parent to be a leader at least once. And I have to admit. I thought it would be a lot easier. But just coming up with ideas every month for a hour long meeting is hard. You have 9 year olds and 17 year olds and trying to find something both can comprehend is hard. I’m lucky and most of my kids are about the same age. Also I really never got the chance to hold a meeting of something I came up with the go over. We did a lot of studying for that expo (where they are judged on knowledge and skills).
    No Moers I can handle her. I also have my sister as a sounding board which does help......me not my sister lol I just don’t trust her and am probably driving the other leader nuts including her in every conversation. But she flat out says my project my rules. So if it gets bad I will set up two areas. One for moms to go hang out and one for me and the kids.

7. KCda03G

KCda03G New Member

May 3, 2020
    South Carolina
    People who breed awfully built, unregistered does or bucks. IF IT ISN'T PRETTY AND UGLY BUILT DO NOT BREED IT!!! I have nothing against responsible people who keep goats as pets but are knowledgeable enough not to bred goats who aren't built well.Bredding is suppose to improve the breed not make some backyard bred monster with 5 legs, a super short back, and awful hip angle!

8. Goatzrule

Feb 7, 2013
    New England
    I feel most of our kids/parents dont take it seriously and then make fun and pick on the kids who do take it seriously want to do things the correct way. Just because your kid doesnt intend to ever show goats again doesnt mean the one who does want a future with it is silly.

Moers kiko boars and Iluvlilly! like this.
  9. Jessica84

Oct 27, 2011
    California
    Pet peeve of the day! Hard headed people! Actually this is always a pet peeve of mine.
    I just got a message on FB getting a warning for being rude to someone on our little local goat group lol this lady posts:
    I’m new to goats, has anyone ever had a false pregnancy. My doe has a udder and no stomach.
    Well the goat is under weight but the rules state basically not to call people out on things unless they ask about that specific thing. I get it, people can be cruel. Whatever. So I tell her some does hide it well don’t give up hope just yet.
    She replies well she’s on day 150 and nothing.
    I let her know it’s give or take 5 days don’t stress.
    That all happened yesterday. Today she posts that today would be day 150 if she some how got bred on the last day she was there not on the day she was seen being bred. I remind her 145-150, and I actually have had singles go on day 157. She posts that she is no longer checking on the doe she is sure it’s a false pregnancy. I tell her I have all the days of my goats and what day they kid on, trying to find a link on when they will kid. And gave her examples of ones that went well over 150. She points out she has no stomach so it’s false. So I kinda got annoyed and told her that I surely hope that she keeps checking on her doe and we won’t be seeing her next post of a dead doe and kids because she didn’t get help when she needed it. There was also 2 others that were basically saying the same thing. Why state your new and wanting advise and don’t take it! Why he new and not take any advise? I’m not saying I’m the all knowing but seriously in this situation what is it going to hurt to keep checking the dang animal! So I’m in trouble and annoyed lol

10. Moers kiko boars

Apr 22, 2018
    Oklahoma
    Sorry..but you said FB. The most annoying negative place on this earth.Its not what its concept was. Its a way for people to hide and be ruthless, wear a mask. Please please dont trust or believe FB. So many.people have problems from believing or being a part of FB!

11. Jessica84

Oct 27, 2011
    California
    No FB does seem to bring out the keyboard tough guys and people who don’t look into a post about something that isn’t true. Someone posted it, it must be true. I mainly use it just to post funny things, share what’s up in my life with my friends and goat related stuff. There are good groups on there too. Off the top of my head I just joined a group for my leather sewing machine. It has been a life saver because it’s a touchy confusing little thing. It would really be a good thing if people were to only say what they would say to someone face, and yes I would have said that to the woman’s face as well

12. Tanya

Tanya Well-Known Member

Here is a pet peeve. When people are so ungrateful and are not ashamed to show it. I saw an elderly man standing outside a shop. Its a warm day here. He had no mask so he had to wait outside.
    I went in to the store and bought him a bottled water.
    His daughter actually grabbed the bottle out of his hands and yelled at me for buying him water. WTF

13. Goatzrule

Feb 7, 2013
    New England
    Jessica84 people only want to hear something if it agrees with them. I cant stand the FB goat pages because they are filled with idiots and anyone can give advice even if they don't have any experience. Along with that everything is considered "Bullying"
    My sister judged goat on the conformation page and the owner messaged her to blast her on giving a poor review. These goats were hideous.

14. NigerianDwarfOwner707

NigerianDwarfOwner707 Well-Known Member

May 17, 2018
    East Coast, USA
    The problem with the Facebook groups is that there are so many different opinions all at once. I’ve participated in some and it seems like it would be stressful for the OP. Usually, on TGS, the knowledgeable folks that all post tend to come to similar conclusions and we back each other up nicely. On Facebook, there are people who truly know nothing. I helped someone who posted about a goat who was extremely lethargic, head down and not moving... people were saying “tummy ache” and “bloat,” meanwhile, I was the only one who told her to take a rectal temp. The goat has a good fever yet people still were commenting saying “it’s probably just a tummy ache give some pepto, probios, etc.” I was APPALLED. I told her that combined with other symptoms that I continued to discover after conversing with her, it could likely be pneumonia. She called her vet and and the vet confirmed this. The goat is all better now, FYI!! But I fear if I had never entered the conversation, she would have been treating the goat for a “tummy ache.” When there are so many different opinions, there will be 10 different suggestions on how to treat things - and since you can’t do all 10, you have to figure out who to trust. Which is nearly impossible in a fb group. This is why having a mentor, or a few mentors to compare opinions, is SO incredibly important!!

15. NigerianDwarfOwner707

NigerianDwarfOwner707 Well-Known Member

May 17, 2018
    East Coast, USA
    While on the topic... can I list another pet peeve?

I’m sure some of you know that I have a fairly large crowd of people whom I mentor daily. One thing that I absolutely despise is when they think that treatment suggestions are not as important as they actually are...let me explain.

A goat has diarrhea - I say “give probios ASAP” amongst a larger list of directions. Diarrhea is not the most urgent situation, but this is even worse in more severe situations. A day later, I check up, the goat still has diarrhea, I say “did you give probios?” And the person says “oh no I haven’t gotten to tractor supply yet” (which is understandable) or worse “I can’t leave the house because of COVID right now and I don’t have any.” Hearing that a lot right now, AGAIN, understandable - but instead of just nodding and smiling when I say “give probios,” how about say “I can’t get it” so I can recommend easy backups like raw apple cider vinegar, raw organic honey, yogurt, the list goes on.

I know this is not a big deal, but a lot of people don’t realize the importance of the little things - like when I say “give garlic!” And the person tells me later when the goat is still ill that the goat didn’t want to eat it so they gave up... because they didn’t think it was important.

I’m not going to recommend something that ISN’T important!!

16. Tanya

Tanya Well-Known Member

You are so right. Being new here I try everything I learn here because I want to make sure my little Destiny has the best chance of survival.
    I say, dont ask a question if you are just going to ignore the advice. And no question is a stupid question. If you must ask, then it is important.

17. Tanya

Tanya Well-Known Member

You are so right. Being new here I try everything I learn here because I want to make sure my little Destiny has the best chance of survival.
    I say, dont ask a question if you are just going to ignore the advice. And no question is a stupid question. If you must ask, then it is important.

Nigerian dwarf goat likes this.
  18. Goats Rock

Goats Rock Member

Jun 20, 2011
    NE Ohio
    I've never been on Facebook. It looks like I'm not missing anything! I've been on TGS since 2011 ish and this is my sole social media outing! (And its really all anyone needs, in my humble opinion!)
    Before 2011, I was on another goat forum that the moderator/owner had to close due to personal reasons, Stacy, the original owner of this site, welcomed all of us here. Her "Keep it friendly, keep it fun" motto has really been wonderful.

19. Goatzrule

Feb 7, 2013
    New England
    In my old management job, the boss was doing the samething. I NEEDED Bounce Back, we had a kid dying fast and she needed electrolytes and he refused and got me Pedialyte instead the kid almost died because she didn't get what she need
    Treatment is a matter of life and death. You cant just wait until it convenience you

Iluvlilly! and Tanya like this.