Pet Peeves

Discussion in 'The Chatter Box' started by goatygirl8, May 4, 2018.

1. Nigerian dwarf goat

Nigerian dwarf goat Well-Known Member

Sep 24, 2017
    Texas
    Okey dokie! A peeve of mine is newbies saying "im ready to GIVE UP!" Oh my LORD! Please, if a tiny little thing is making you want to get rid of your goats, then you may not be cut out for owning animals! K, that's all I got to say about that...

2. Tanya

Tanya Well-Known Member

A pet peeve I have. When people have guests over on your property that let their kids loose on your goats. It peeves me off when you warn them the goats will stab you with their horns. And their kids get jabbed and they cant understand why you wont lock the goats up.

3. Sfgwife

Sfgwife Well-Known Member

Feb 17, 2018
    North Cakalaki
    MAJOR peeve today.... mama wanting to help but NEVER listening to what i ask her to do or how to do it. ;(. We spent hours yesterday cutting and liming cukes for pickles. This mornin i asked her to just run water over them to rinse. She scrubbed. Now i have half relish type pieces and half discs. Ugh! And there really is NO way to separate it easily. So. Pretty much a case of cukes may as well have been made into relish. And she wonders why i prefer to do things like this myself. I was nice and gently asked on the next to please just dunk them in the water and pull them out. We will see how it goes....

4. luvmyherd

luvmyherd Well-Known Member

Apr 9, 2011
    NorCal
    I never had problems like that with my mom but my mother-in-law would never let me do anything (in my own kitchen or hers) without telling me her way and making sure to let me know her way was better.
    If she caught me whipping fresh cream for a Holiday dessert I would always hear, *I have Coolwhip!!!*

5. Sfgwife

Feb 17, 2018
    North Cakalaki

Hahahha oh i get that alllll the time as well. I just ignore her most of the time... but some days she catches me in a mood and it is on lol! Her thing is butter and salt and tons of it in EVERYTHING. i have learned to just say salt your own food and leave the pots alone. She used to sneak and add them to my food on the stove (mama lives just up the hill from us and comes for dinner a lot of nights) and i had many big nasty fits. She has stopped sneaking in stuff in my pots after three years. But it took me hiding the salt shakers and putting the butter in the back of the fridge for months. No matter what i cook she will say every.single.time you did not put any butter or salt in this. My reply is yes i did but you cannot taste it because it is meant to help season and not clog my arteries or make me swell like a hot air balloon.

6. luvmyherd

Apr 9, 2011
    NorCal
    Mine would never advocate salt or butter.
    I would be Mrs. Dash and Margarine. *It's made with yogurt!!!!*
    If I try to tell her we only eat real food she just looks terribly confused.

7. Sfgwife

Feb 17, 2018
    North Cakalaki
    Hahhaha! Mine would die if i used those things. She even grumbles when i add olive oil to a pan for something like searing veggies or meat instead of butter. It is a sacrelige to her lol! Tonight we had take out italian. She got baked ziti and it came with bread. I kid you not... i bet she put almost three TABLEspoons of butter on this 3x3 piece of bread. Yuck!

Hubby was in the army so we lived in places with a varied community. We eat lots of different ethnicities of foods. Holy cow when it is not a southern dish you would think she sprouted another head or three lol! And we eat a LOT of not southern foods in this house. And enjoy them all! I made a middle eastern dish last week that we had not had in a long time.... it was simply schwarma spiced goat meat, spiced rice with green peas in it. The look on her face was priceless and she even will eat goat occasionally if it is in ground form. I also had stuffed grape leaves and homemade hummus and homemade pita bread. Paul, our son and i were very happy with it. Mama not so much. She had leftovers.

Any kind of meat or meatless hand pie is also out for her. Weirdo.

Last edited: Jul 8, 2020
  8. Damfino

Damfino Well-Known Member

Dec 29, 2013
    Right behind you
    Wait... I get that butter is a southern thing, but then so is Crisco and most of all bacon grease. My mom always kept bacon grease by the stove and fried practically everything in it just like her Mississippi-bred mother before her. But this was never a pet peeve of mine. I love stuff fried in bacon grease and I love butter! Crisco not so much. I prefer lard.

9. Sfgwife

Feb 17, 2018
    North Cakalaki
    Lol yes! There IS a place for all of those in my kitchen just not every single day and not unholy amounts of it. ;). When things are dripping with it and it coats my mouth... nope nope nope. Hahaahaha.

10. luvmyherd

Apr 9, 2011
    NorCal
    I refer to that as feeling like my mouth has been laminated.

I am not from the south nor any of my family. But there is always a jar of bacon fat by the stove. I find that brushing it on the pan adds just enough flavor without overwhelming the rest of the food. (I do remember basting my eggs in bacon drippings but that is a little too much for me now.) My son has access to grass fed pig and renders lard for us. It far surpasses anything from the store.
    Now my father just loved butter. Though when margarine in a tub, that was always soft, hit the market he was all over that. (We were also convinced that it was healthier.) My mom would grill a sandwich in butter and then he would insist that she put on more. If she told him it had been cooked in plenty of butter he would scold her and tell her to butter it anyway. They did go back to real butter the last decade or so of their lives.

11. Sfgwife

Feb 17, 2018
    North Cakalaki

We leave the butter on the counter. ;). It needs be salted butter or it will go rancid fast. We raise our own pigs and yes i love their lard!

12. Goatzrule

Goatzrule Well-Known Member

Feb 7, 2013
    New England
    Pet Peeve. People who ask for help then argue against your advice because it wasn't what they wanted to hear

13. Boers4ever

Boers4ever Well-Known Member

Jun 28, 2020
    East Texas
    Yes! Or people that ask for advice and then don’t take it seriously. Or laughs at it. Drives me crazy!

Iluvlilly! and Moers kiko boars like this.
  14. Moers kiko boars

Moers kiko boars Well-Known Member

Apr 22, 2018
    Oklahoma
    Im Native American and my mother is from the deep South. My father raised Native on an Oklahoma farm. I didnt know food was not cooked in lard/butter /or bacon grease for over 1/2 my life. Then I studied natural medicine..I halted all margerine( 1 chemical compound away from being plastic). Ill take.the natural fats anyday over GMO or any other chemical. Oh...my Moms 93. Lol lol

Last edited: Jul 9, 2020
  15. Nigerian dwarf goat

Sep 24, 2017
    Texas
    Mmm that sounds absolutely delicious! I made some hummus on the 4th of July, it filled 3 of these containers
    [​IMG]
    And we have eaten 1 1/2 already LOL!! My son took a lot to his job for lunch (he builds fences, so e gets pretty hungry!) to share with his friend, who had never tried it before! He came back with an empty container!

Yes! I help A LOT of people, and this one particular family has 2 goats with broken legs after I told them to board that spot up because I knew it would happen, they keep 2 goats in a space so small I can touch each wall when I spread my arms, and their lamb was shipped in from North Dakota and hasn't even gotten up because it is WAY too hot down here for her! Poor things! And then they call me and ask for help! I don't go to their house because one of their goats in the past had CL, and I'm not bringing that to my herd.

16. Tanya

Tanya Well-Known Member

Being vegetarian, i do not do any butter, margerine, oil or animal fat. I like steaming my food. I do like making my fish with fresh cream. The only dairy I will eat. I poach my eggs and will eat hard boiled.

17. Goatzrule

Feb 7, 2013
    New England
    @Nigerian dwarf goat
    I have the same problem with one of my 4H families. I adore the kids but I just cant help them anymore. They ask for advice after its too late. At the fairs they are known as the family with the malnourished animals. Too many animals on too small of a property. Regularly losing kids, feeding them homemade grain that has no nutrients. Wont feed them minerals, against my advice. Drives me insane and makes my relationship with them hard.

18. Goatzrule

Feb 7, 2013
    New England
    Ive been at a tough point with this family. Do you confront them about their practices and risk losing your friend? Do you sit back and let them slowly kill their animals

19. ksalvagno

ksalvagno Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

That is a hard one. How much of a friend are they?

Moers kiko boars likes this.
  20. Nigerian dwarf goat

Sep 24, 2017
    Texas
    Ive known them forever. We are great friends. I still tell them their animals are in rough shape though, but they would rather listen to the people that show majors, and low-key abuse their animals vs me.

Iluvlilly! and Moers kiko boars like this.