Pet Peeves

Discussion in 'The Chatter Box' started by goatygirl8, May 4, 2018.

1. happybleats

happybleats Well-Known Member

Sep 12, 2010
    Gustine Texas
    They say a picture is worth 1000 words..Maybe print a few pictures of healthy looking goats in her breed to show what hers should look like.

2. Oliveoil

Oliveoil Active Member

Sep 3, 2019
    Wisconsin
    Could you please define low key abuse? Just curious about what you are refering to.

Moers kiko boars likes this.

3. Sfgwife

Sfgwife Well-Known Member

Feb 17, 2018
    North Cakalaki
    Yum! And that is too fun y on the friend nommin too!

4. Tanya

Tanya Well-Known Member

Here in SA if your friend dont listen you take action. Abuse of any kind is just not on. Friends or not. If they dont listen they dont keep their animals.

5. Goatzrule

Goatzrule Well-Known Member

Feb 7, 2013
    New England
    They are almost family to me.

6. MellonFriend

MellonFriend Well-Known Member

In my opinion, if I had a friend and they saw that I was doing something wrong, I would want them to correct me. It would matter how you went about it. Don't be judgmental or mean, but if you were courteous and kindly showed them what they were doing wrong, I think that that is the duty of good friends. To help each other learn and grow.

7. Ranger1

Ranger1 Well-Known Member

Sep 1, 2014
    “Family” should be able to take a bit of helpful criticism from. Try to come across more as questioning than judging.

Moers kiko boars and Sfgwife like this.
  8. luvmyherd

luvmyherd Well-Known Member

Apr 9, 2011
    NorCal
    Well, I saw this kind of thing with my family. Not only did she ignore our experience but would post things on FB that made it sound like she was teaching us how to properly raise goats. She insisted that their land was so much better than ours that they did not need to give mineral supplements. She would not provide hay because they had such diverse browse that their diet was balanced. I would weep every time she posted that another kid had died of "hypothermia". That was the go-to for losing most of their babies.
    I am happy to say that she got it together and started giving them good grass hay along with their browse and various supplements. But it was never because of anything I said or did but things she *learned*.

9. Goatzrule

Feb 7, 2013
    New England
    Thats so difficult @luvmyherd
    When they lost their last kids in the winter I sat down and talked to them. Too many pots on the stove. Her kids are brilliant and could easily be better showmen than me. Their last death of an animal I was warned about in advanced by another friend before I went over and tried to save it. That last few times just really made me sour. I have talked to her about biosecurity so many times but it will never stick. You cant teach someone who doesn't want to learn, unfortunately.
    Ive been tempted to casually mention that the other families refer to her farm as the people with the malnourished animals but I dont want her to take it hard. Just needs some sort of motivation to improve things.

10. Goats Rock

Goats Rock Member

Jun 20, 2011
    NE Ohio
    Maybe they need to "take it hard". Killing animals through stubbornness and stupidity is wrong. If they won't listen to a friend, maybe a humane officer could get through to them. Imagine the pain of an animal slowly starving to death or dying of a preventable infection. Not having fresh water. I'm sorry, but if someone will not care for animals the right way, they should not have them. A bullet would be more humane than slowly starving.

11. Goatzrule

Feb 7, 2013
    New England
    A year or two ago our state was presented with a bill that would mean everyone would register their animals. If they end up having too many deaths per year or two years a state vet would come out and investigate. I understand those opposed believe that the government is overstepping but I also believe that it could possibly help prevent things like these

Moers kiko boars and Iluvlilly! like this.
  12. Goatzrule

Feb 7, 2013
    New England
    Here is the link, I know goats are easier to keep many of on a smaller space but when you start factoring in the horses than things start to get tight

13. Sfgwife

Sfgwife Well-Known Member

Feb 17, 2018
    North Cakalaki
    luvmyherd, Goatzrule and Iluvlilly! like this.
  14. Moers kiko boars

Moers kiko boars Well-Known Member

Apr 22, 2018
    Oklahoma
    Hey Goatzrule. I read your posts. And it seems ( through your words) that everyone has exhausted all avenues of getting through to these people. They are the problem with their animals. To me its time to forget the friendship and protect the goats. Contact the authorities and remain anonymous. If you are not part of the solution..you are a part of the killing.
    The authorities are trained and able to handle this situation. Maybe you could be willing to help restore the animals once they are removed. The animals dont have a voice. You do.

15. Goatzrule

Feb 7, 2013
    New England
    I have been thinking about this a lot. I want to report it but don't know if they would do anything but even then it might be a good wake up call.

Iluvlilly! and Moers kiko boars like this.
  16. Nigerian dwarf goat

Nigerian dwarf goat Well-Known Member

Sep 24, 2017
    Texas
    @Oliveoil by low key abuse I am mostly referring to a family who’s goat was attacked by a dog and they used gorilla glue to close the gaping wounds up. Then brought the goat to show who’s leg was 2x the size it should be and got 3rd place...

Same family will beat their show animals. I don’t mean like a little pop on the nose or side. I mean they punch the goat in the nose repeatedly. Once they knocked out a tooth. It kills me to see it, so that is why our family stopped with market shows.

another family was in a pen right next to my daughter and the dad gave his daughter a steiroid shot for the goat. She knew because the dad told the daughter “here take this steiroid and give it to (insert goat name)”

the person who was helping my daughters with their market wethers gave them a steiroid to give them. Of course we told him we aren’t using it and he was offended, but personally I don’t stand for cheating, especially in an organization that is supposed to teach leadership, responsibilities, and animal husbandry.
    Sorry, I just won’t stand for it.

17. Goats Rock

Goats Rock Member

Jun 20, 2011
    NE Ohio
    Wow, if that's low key, what is full abuse? Yikes, I had no idea they were that brutal! What a terrible role model for children. (The steroid person).

18. Iluvlilly!

Iluvlilly! Well-Known Member

Apr 6, 2019
    Wisconsin
    Oh my gosh, i just about cried from reading that.:( I could never even think about beating them, i know they can be handfuls sometimes but that gives no right to hurt them, i could never live with myself if i did that. That is just plain horrifying, the poor animals.. just plain heartbreaking.. But that's just my opinion/rant for the day.

19. Nigerian dwarf goat

Nigerian dwarf goat Well-Known Member

Sep 24, 2017
    Texas
    I cried when I heard about it! Some people have no business owning animals.

We were at the Auction barn today, and a horse came through there :( If you don't know, that horse is going to a kill pen. Poor baby, I was crying (crying right now), most of the women were crying, and a few men had teary eyes.
    I'm sorry, but it's different when a cow goes to a slaughterhouse vs when a horse goes. The horse was skinny and had a broken tail. I wanted to buy her, but horses are so expensive... And she needed some extra care. I feel so bad that nobody bought her. But I'm sure they are in the same situation as me. Just don't have enough time or money to care for horses. How could somebody send a horse to auction? Again, some people have no business with animals :(

Moers kiko boars and Iluvlilly! like this.
  20. Boers4ever

Boers4ever Well-Known Member

Jun 28, 2020
    East Texas
    I agree. That’s terrible. I could never put up with that. If I saw some one doing that I would make sure they were stopped and disqualified. And as for the abuse, I would make them sorry they ever even bought the goats. Oops now you got me all worked up!