Pet Peeves

Discussion in 'The Chatter Box' started by goatygirl8, May 4, 2018.

1. Nigerian dwarf goat

Nigerian dwarf goat Well-Known Member

Sep 24, 2017
    Texas
    Small town, so they are a big name. Nobody can go against them. They were disqualified from a bunch of majors, but never in the county shows.

Moers kiko boars and Iluvlilly! like this.
  2. Nigerian dwarf goat

Sep 24, 2017
    Texas
    Oh! And the abusers aren't the family friends! The family friends get info from them

3. Tanya

Tanya Well-Known Member

This is why I run my small rescue centre.

4. Iluvlilly!

Iluvlilly! Well-Known Member

Apr 6, 2019
    Wisconsin
    Oh wow that is so sad:( I completely agree with you that some people shouldn't own animals. The poor horse, and that is why i can't go to an auction sale.

luvmyherd and Moers kiko boars like this.
  5. Iluvlilly!

Apr 6, 2019
    Wisconsin
    :ty:So glad you do!! I have thought about it a lot but i might do it when im on my own, any pointers?

6. Goats Rock

Goats Rock Member

Jun 20, 2011
    NE Ohio
    Running a rescue is expensive. Before one starts, you have to decide how many you can support, wether it be gerbils up to horses. Have a vet onboard, get outside financing, you need helpers, and room, feed, transportation, time and lots of patience. Also an endgame. What if they are too far gone or not save able. How will they be humanely put down? Where will the carcass go?

What are the regulations in your area? I am not trying to disuade you, but so many good hearted people with great intentions try to rescue the world and end up with too many animals that they can't care for and the animal is in worse shape than they were in the place they had to be rescued from.

7. Damfino

Damfino Well-Known Member

Dec 29, 2013
    Right behind you
    I've been a horse owner and horse lover all my life but I've never understood this one. I believe horses and cattle both belong on the menu, but both deserve fair and humane treatment on the way there. Giving horses special status is one of my pet peeves... far too much good meat goes to waste when horses can't be rendered. Nevertheless, no animal should ever be abused or neglected even if its destination is to a dog bowl or somebody's dinner plate.

8. Iluvlilly!

Apr 6, 2019
    Wisconsin
    Okay thank you for helping me understand all that:) Im not sure about the regulations..:shrug: You are in no way dissuading me! I want to learn as much as i can before i jump in!

luvmyherd and Moers kiko boars like this.
  9. happybleats

happybleats Well-Known Member

Sep 12, 2010
    Gustine Texas
    Today's pet peeve

When someone on fb comments on a polical view point you have on your own page to start an argument. Nope. Not having that! My page, my point of view.

I read lots of post I whole heartily disagree with. I either scroll on by or remove myself from following that persons. Ok. Done..for now lol

10. Jessica84

Jessica84 Well-Known Member

Oct 27, 2011
    California
    People get unfriended and blocked doing that. I agree my page, my views, my beliefs. It’s one thing if it is something that is untrue and someone corrects it, well unless it’s a funny thing, you know what I mean on those :p but I won’t be belittled over something I believe in and I won’t have my other FB friends bullied over it. Not everyone is going to agree with me and that’s fine! We want, vote, and believe in what WE think is best for US. If I can pass someone else’s post that I don’t agree with they can show me the same respect.

11. Nigerian dwarf goat

Sep 24, 2017
    Texas
    I understand that some cultures do eat horse meat, but to me, that horse really wasn't in horrible condition. I think that's what upset me. When you have animals, you need to be prepared for accidents to happen, you can't just sell it when one little thing goes wrong.

12. Goatzrule

Goatzrule Well-Known Member

Feb 7, 2013
    New England
    I agree with this. And making it so the horses have to ship to Canada or Mexico is not fair to the horses. Theres only so many pet homes now I don't think they should start farming them for meat but putting a drain into the horses that are already here would be helpful. I see a lot of people reach for the too far gone cases when two or three rehab able cases pass them by onto the transport truck.

13. Damfino

Dec 29, 2013
    Right behind you
    Well, it shouldn't have been in horrible condition any more than a cow, sheep, goat, or chicken should be in horrible condition when it reaches the sale barn. It's unfortunate that sale barns allow sick, injured, and even dying animals through because it's inhumane. Animals should be required to pass a health inspection in order to go through a sale barn, and they should always, always come with permanent ID already in place. I was disgusted when I saw employees tagging goats at a sale barn. The whole purpose of scrapies tags is to identify the place of origin in order to track a disease outbreak. If the "place of origin" is the sale barn, no one will be able to trace where the disease actually started, and this defeats the whole purpose of the scrapies program. It also makes it way too easy for someone to steal goats and take them to sale for a quick profit. Each and every animal should already be tagged, tattooed, or microchipped and the identification matched to the owner.

14. Moers kiko boars

Moers kiko boars Well-Known Member

Apr 22, 2018
    Oklahoma
    I have a rescue horse. She was severly beaten , starved, and they melted her tail. Its taken years to earn her trust..put her in good condition..and get her to act relaxed with humans. It took months to get her to enter a shed and eat. Took 2 hours for me to get her to load up.
    Im very partial and protective of Gypsy. Shes a full blood Morgan. Buautiful little girl. No words can describe how I feel about the inhuman creeps that did that to her. Ive been trained to protect myself.
    I would love to use them as a sparring challenger. That being said..I believe all Gods Creatures need respect & care from the human being. If not..the human needs to recieve the same neglect.or abuse.

15. Nigerian dwarf goat

Sep 24, 2017
    Texas
    My vet scolded me for not having scrapies tags because he doesn't want me to get in trouble!! If they end up tracing the goat back to you if it has scrapies, you can get in serious trouble even if you didn't put the tag in! (now that I'm thinking about it, I should get that done LOL!)

16. Damfino

Dec 29, 2013
    Right behind you
    Scrapie, if I remember correctly, is contracted at birth from placental fluids, so if a goat ended up with scrapie it SHOULD be traced back to you/your farm. That's the entire point. I don't think you'd get in trouble for having scrapie (although they would require your goats to be culled which of course would be horrible and probably worse than anything else that could happen), but you might get in trouble for not putting tags/tattoos in before you sold them. It's a pretty rare disease and is mostly eradicated from goats the U.S. They don't want it cropping up again since it's zoonotic. Hence the name "scrapie eradication program."

17. Jessica84

Jessica84 Well-Known Member

Oct 27, 2011
    California
    The scrapies at the sale yard part:
    The sale yard is (or better be) keeping the sellers information that goes along with the tag they are giving the animal. If one ends up being positive then hopefully the seller kept track of what goat got what tag.
    I just don’t get why people don’t just buy their own though. It is up to $2 a tag here and I did take advantage of it one time on a large buck and I didn’t have help to hold him and tag him. But the people that come in with 30 animals and they all need a tag just baffles me. Well I guess unless it’s a old lady or something then I totally get it but no one here seems to have their own tags.

18. Tanya

Tanya Well-Known Member

Nikita, my daughter lives on a horse farm that rescues horses, pigs and dogs. They train the horses to become awesome therapy horses. Chevani gets lessons there. The pigs are all ones that people baught as piglets and when they get bigger cant handle them. The dogs are abandoned at the gate. From puppies to old ones. They are always rehabilitated to become working dogs. In other words when a teail is run the dogs accompany the riders for protection as well ad gaurds for the horses. They have two beautiful old men there that will live out their last few years in comfort.
    My rescue is funded by my own pocket. The vet I work with is fantastic. He does my cases for 50% because I advertise his services on my property and with every rehoming. We are restricted to only a limited amount of animals. If my animals get a contageous dsease and it cannot be fixef, we euthenase and cremate. I have memory wall. All my animals are remembered with their personality. Horses here are not meat animals. They are work animals. If they do end up at a slaughter house, the SPCA and Animal anti cruelty league inspects the animal. If it can be rescued it is.

19. Aozora

Aozora Member

Mar 27, 2018
    South Carolina
    My huge pet peeve is Craiglist folks trying to get a deal, and not taking no for an answer. I have pastured, organically-fed, heritage meat birds up for sale for $20. You can't find these in stores, much less for that price. Here's the conversation I had yesterday.

Her: Can you do $15?
    Me: No, sorry.
    Her: Can you do $18?
    Me: Organic food is expensive. No, sorry.
    Her: I live 2 hours away. If I come, can I get a discount?
    Me: No, sorry.
    Her: Well, they're too expensive. Someone sells them for $10.
    Me: Go buy from them, then. Sorry.

Also, I call no way on organic, pastured, heritage birds for $10. That's just losing money. This after I had given her my address.... I had a sleepless night last night moving at every sound to make sure she wasn't coming to try to steal them. You never know with people from Craigslist!

20. luvmyherd

luvmyherd Well-Known Member

Apr 9, 2011
    NorCal
    It seems that everyone wants to sell junk for premium prices (I am not talking about your birds; I am talking about junk) while wanting to buy the best quality for nothing.