Pet Peeves

Discussion in 'The Chatter Box' started by goatygirl8, May 4, 2018.

1. Goats Rock

Goats Rock Member

Jun 20, 2011
    NE Ohio
    Flies, again. I hate flies. When they bite me, I really hate them! (sorry, just had to rant a second!)

2. luvmyherd

luvmyherd Well-Known Member

Apr 9, 2011
    NorCal
    I just do not understand flies at all. Why do they feel the need to buzz around my bangs? Or land on my arms and legs!! We keep bees and they do not bother us while we are eating but; even if we put out something attractive for the flies; they prefer to buzz in our faces.
    We just built a new deck and we like to eat out there. But we are already planning to screen it in because of the flies.

3. Goats Rock

Goats Rock Member

Jun 20, 2011
    NE Ohio
    I got back at the flies. I have a head lamp with a red light. After dark last night, I shopvac ed lots of flies! LOL They are stupid at night. I usually start the shop vaccing process earlier, but have been too busy. Die flies die! (insert evil laugh!) ha ha ha

4. toth boer goats

toth boer goats Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Jul 20, 2008
    Corning California
  5. Moers kiko boars

Moers kiko boars Well-Known Member

Apr 22, 2018
    Oklahoma
    Whatever works! And you have PLENTY to choose from. Sounds neat to.me! Happy Hunting!

6. Goatzrule

Goatzrule Well-Known Member

Feb 7, 2013
    New England
    Selling things is hard. People feel they are entitled to get things for cheap.

7. Goats Rock

Goats Rock Member

Jun 20, 2011
    NE Ohio
    This is more a pest peeve. I have a little doe that loves to lick the back of my knee when I am trying to bottle feed the other kids. (I wear shorts, my legs are all banged up from hay, hooves, etc) Anyway, the tickle factor is a 10 on a scale of 1-9 with 1 being tolerable!

She would make a great tormentor. Middle Ages torture devices have nothing on her little tongue!
    :ahh::nod::heehee:

8. Boers4ever

Boers4ever Well-Known Member

Jun 28, 2020
    East Texas
    Lol!! I have really long hair and my goats love to come up behind me and nibble at the ends. It drives me crazy! My hairdresser doesn’t like it either! I always forget to put it up so I guess this ones on me.

9. Goatzrule

Feb 7, 2013
    New England
    Pet peeve is people who buy too many animals for their property size. 80 goats and 3 horses on 2 acres is way too much. Know your limit. Look at your zoning laws before you get the animal. And listen to the zoning laws. See people rehoming the animal because they didn't take the zoning laws seriously

10. NigerianDwarfOwner707

NigerianDwarfOwner707 Well-Known Member

May 17, 2018
    East Coast, USA
    How many goats an acre is good would you say?

Moers kiko boars and Iluvlilly! like this.
  11. luvmyherd

Apr 9, 2011
    NorCal
    I learned the hard way (our zoning laws are really no help) by letting too many of my goats breed and having too many successful birthings (lots of twins, triplets and a set of quads) one year. The over crowding caused a serious cocci outbreak.
    But! I did learn from my experience.

Moers kiko boars likes this.
  12. luvmyherd

Apr 9, 2011
    NorCal
    My latest Pet Peeve (remember, I am visiting Arkansas) is.............................................
    P1070096.JPG

FIRE ANTS!!!!!!!!!!!

13. toth boer goats

toth boer goats Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Jul 20, 2008
    Corning California
  14. Goatzrule

Feb 7, 2013
    New England
    I cant say for sure and your land and house/barn set up does seem to play a part in it. I think determining it is being realistic, are the goats living comfortably both in their shelter and in their yard? I see the biggest overcrowding with nigerians, yes they are smaller but they still need space. My state extension put out space guidelines and I give it to any of my new 4H kids who might be at risk of overcrowding

15. Nigerian dwarf goat

Nigerian dwarf goat Well-Known Member

Sep 24, 2017
    Texas
    pet peeve: Cheerio, one of my goats!

What a little turd! Usually she will slip out of the pen so i can put the lead on her and take her to the milk stand, but today, i had to "tackle" her because she wouldn't cooperate, and then she scraped me against the fence, so i pulled her away, and she JUMPED into the full wheel barrow, and knocked it over! im 14! Im only 100 pounds, and shes 90! What the heck lol! Whats was her problem! She got a nice pop on the nose today! So now i have a beautiful gash on my leg! Lets hope shes better for me in the morning!

16. Calistar

Calistar Well-Known Member

My pet peeve lately is "WeLl You'Re ThE oNe wHo WanTed aLL tHoSe aNiMaLs!"

I get it ALL the time and I don't understand it! I don't complain about my animals. I work my butt off to keep my animals happy and provided for, that's just a fact, but I'm never grumpy or irritable about it. I KNOW I wanted all those animals, idiot! But if I mention the high cost of hay, or tell my coworkers that I'm not going anywhere this summer because I have to stay home and milk goats, or tell my neighbor that I'm wiped out today because I hand-sheared all my sheep by myself the previous day...."Well you're the one who wanted all those animals!"

Like, why would you even say that? When my coworker complains to me about having to take time off to attend a parent-teacher meeting, do I tell her "Well you're the one who wanted to have all those kids!" When my neighbor mentions the traffic on his most recent trip, do I tell him "Well you're the one who wanted to go on vacation!" No, I don't, because that's irrelevant and rude! It's just a drag to hear it all the time. Most recently was from a neighbor whose wife also has a herd of goats...like really? Arghhhh!

17. Nigerian dwarf goat

Nigerian dwarf goat Well-Known Member

Sep 24, 2017
    Texas
    yeah, i think its rude, and uncalled for as well. I have learned who i can talk to about animals, because most people dont understand what im saying anyways LOL!

Like today, i called my friend because i was excited about a feed change im making, because i havent changed the feed routine in 2 years!! (Im gonna start a thread here as well, because i am excited!) So i wanted to talk about it with someone I knew would understand! And she did! and gave me a few ideas! She has cows, not goats, but still she understood!
    Imagine if i would have called any of my other friends LOL! They wouldnt understand a word i was saying!

Iluvlilly! and Moers kiko boars like this.
  18. Boers4ever

Boers4ever Well-Known Member

Jun 28, 2020
    East Texas
    Ugh I feel you! I have a little problem goat too. None of my school friends understand goats at all. We’ll be sitting in the lunch crowd and I’ll just casually mention my herd of Boers. They’ll stare at me like I just grew a second head!! Then they’ll quickly change the subject. So annoying but also kinda funny!

19. luvmyherd

Apr 9, 2011
    NorCal
    Uh, people did say that to me. (I raised 5.) Like if you choose a lifestyle; you must never have anything negative to say. I think there are some people who just can't help criticizing others; especially if they are doing something slightly out of the ordinary.

20. Moers kiko boars

Moers kiko boars Well-Known Member

Apr 22, 2018
    Oklahoma
    My "cheerio"..is named Frosting. She can drive me right up the wall. All the does will go to the right pasture...not Frosting...going the other direction..looking for food. All my girls will come running..not.Frosting..
    She stays behind...looking for.more forage...until I shake the feed. Then its a miracle...she out runs the girls..straight to that feed can. Just walk next to me...loving on me..my BFF...
    Until the food is gone...them back to.being the mischievous Queen.

Kass, Boers4ever, Iluvlilly! and 2 others like this.