Pet Peeves

Discussion in 'The Chatter Box' started by goatygirl8, May 4, 2018.

1. toth boer goats

toth boer goats Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Jul 20, 2008
    Corning California
  2. Boers4ever

Boers4ever Well-Known Member

Jun 28, 2020
    East Texas
    Pet peeve: getting something sticky or smelly (especially buck smell) on your hands. And no matter how many times you wash them, the sticky or smell will NOT come off.

3. Goats Rock

Goats Rock Member

Jun 20, 2011
    NE Ohio
    Buck smell helps others keep "social distancing" from you! Oh, and febreeze doesn't cover buck smell on jeans. I get lots of social distancing after I feed 10 or 15 friendly bucks then go to the grocery store in the same clothes! (rofl)

4. Goats Rock

Goats Rock Member

Jun 20, 2011
    NE Ohio
    Mice are today's pet peeve. Specifically the suicidal little rodents. We have had days of rain, lots of puddles and swampy areas outside. So, why do the little jerks have to climb the wall to fall in full water buckets that are placed above goat rumps. (with cement blocks to stand on so they can reach the water).

With 15 full buckets and maybe a half dozen will have floaty mice. Those buckets have to be dumped, scrubbed and refilled. I have traps everywhere. Its only when I am in a hurry that they do it! I tell you, its an animal conspiracy! :ahh:But, I am going to win this mouse war...:waiting:

5. Moers kiko boars

Moers kiko boars Well-Known Member

Apr 22, 2018
    Oklahoma
    Good luck with the mouse war! I started using automatic dog waters for large dogs. I put them on a wooden step about a foot high. So no mice in water. :great:

Iluvlilly! likes this.
  6. toth boer goats

toth boer goats Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Jul 20, 2008
    Corning California
  7. Goats Rock

Goats Rock Member

Jun 20, 2011
    NE Ohio
    Time Change- why can't they leave DST all year. I don't like the "slow time", Who cares if its dark in the morning! I need eve. daylight! grrr.. Sorry, I've never liked the time changes, split the difference and leave the clocks alone! Ok, rant over......

8. happybleats

happybleats Well-Known Member

Sep 12, 2010
    Gustine Texas
    I'm with you Goats Rock. I rather the evening light too.

9. luvmyherd

luvmyherd Well-Known Member

Apr 9, 2011
    NorCal
    Yep, we voted on it and it passed but nothing has happened. I get physically ill when it starts getting dark mid-afternoon.

Moers kiko boars and Iluvlilly! like this.
  10. Calistar

Calistar Well-Known Member

I hated it too until this year. I get up at 4:30 to feed animals and milk goats before work, and it sucks that is hasn't been getting light until 7:00! As it is I've been doing morning AND evening chores in the dark, and most of my daylight hours are spent off the farm at work. It's going to get dark early in the evening regardless- that's just winter, and no amount of clock adjusting is going to make the sun shine longer when the earth is tilted away for the season. If we don't switch the clocks, the sun won't rise until something like 8:00 on Christmas morning. So, even though I have loudly complained about daylight savings up until now, I think it might actually be the lesser of two evils, and it's actually winter that I have a beef with :p

11. Damfino

Damfino Well-Known Member

Dec 29, 2013
    Right behind you
    I don't care which one they pick, but for the love of Pete just PICK ONE!!!

12. happybleats

happybleats Well-Known Member

Sep 12, 2010
    Gustine Texas
    Some Indian Chief said some where " only white man thinks by cutting off 2 feet from the top of his quilt and sewing it to the bottom of his quilt that he has a longer quilt" or somthing like that lol. :clever::heehee:

13. NigerianDwarfOwner707

NigerianDwarfOwner707 Well-Known Member

May 17, 2018
    East Coast, USA
    This may be an unpopular opinion... but pet peeve:

Vets not knowing the correct/current/most effective dosages and frequencies for antibiotics.

I see too many "single shot antibiotics" i.e. a vet only gives one shot of a drug like LA200, Penicillin, Nuflor, etc, that we all know have full course.

I just heard that a vet recommended Nuflor every other day for 3 doses.

I am not bashing the good ones because I have certainly seen vets prescribe antibiotics correctly, goat-educated vets that listen to owners and stay up to date on their info.

But C'mon, this is why we deal with antibiotic resistance.

14. Nigerian dwarf goat

Nigerian dwarf goat Well-Known Member

Sep 24, 2017
    Texas
    Mine all do that so usually I get the one from the vet then get 2 more from a friend. I gotta get my own bottles.
    I got a bottle of banamine when Sylvester was sick and I asked what the dosage was for goats and he said he’s text the chart to me, but I never got it lol. Anyone know the dosage?

15. MellonFriend

MellonFriend Well-Known Member

From our medicine cabinet thread:

Pain, swelling~~~~~~~~~~

Banamine
    – Dose 1 cc per 100 lbs IM preferred.
    Always take temp prior to giving, if temp is low, do NOT give unless advised by your vet. It is an Anti-inflammatory, drops high fever, can help stop severe diarrhea in very young kids, prevents scarring of the lungs, can calm the gut in digestive illnesses, relieves pain.
    Shouldn't be used more than once, every 36 hours.
    Can be used up to 4 days without issues.
    In some case, it is used for longer term, but the risk is greater for complications. Use as needed.
    Refrigerate. 36 hour milk withholding and 4 day from last treatment for slaughter. Vet Rx needed.

16. R.Williamson

R.Williamson Well-Known Member

Mar 21, 2019
    South Carolina
    Pet peeve: People assuming every vet will see a goat. The complete disbelief when indeed it is very few and far between to find an actual goat vet who has a clue. There are two vets that I have found in my area who see goats whom I know about. 1 I used for years for all of my animals. Suddenly he started refusing goat calls. Not just on me but for many others I know who were using him. Very knowledgeable, but almost impossible to get a hold of. In case of emergency you were on your own. The 2nd one is not actually a goat vet but will see them to do health certs etc. I can call in for medications that are needed. She legit knows very little about goats. Primarily an equine vet.
    Another peeve- People assuming that since my only job is at home with the animals and house that I therefore have all the time in the world. Most days I am busting my rear to get everything done before it is dark. Something pops up with the extended family like needing a ride " Hey call Ree she doesn't work."

**Edited to add both vets are primarily equine vets

17. NigerianDwarfOwner707

NigerianDwarfOwner707 Well-Known Member

May 17, 2018
    East Coast, USA
    I have a few vets local to me, one who I constantly disagree with, she is mainly an equine vet - has more goat knowledge than some but won’t stop recommending safeguard!! Ugh!! And this was for a fecal with 50EPG, which is great!!

Another is at a dog and cat vet (well, they do birds and rodents too) I have yet to use her, she does say she specializes in goats, but she is 5 mins away from me if I ever needed.

A big hospital which does all animals is about half an hour away.

My equine vet doesn’t really do goats, but if you make him, he can help a bit with superficial stuff, definitely for meds too.

We have a traveling farmvet out of the hospital I mentioned above, also not sure of his knowledge I have never used him.

We also have a popular farm vet that does mostly cows but goats too - I’ve heard okay things but have not used them.

Do I have a lot of vets in case I need them? Thankfully yes.

Do I trust any of them? Sadly no.

18. luvmyherd

luvmyherd Well-Known Member

Apr 9, 2011
    NorCal
    Oh I am so angry about our vet laws. Obviously no one in the legislature has ever owned a goat. To get injectables at all now the animal has to be seen in *person*. There is nobody near us. We had an equine vet who trusted us and prescribed what was needed. Now he cannot even do that in an emergency. And he does not see goats so we could not take them in.
    We have been on our own (with much help :ty: from TGS) for many years.

Moers kiko boars likes this.
  19. Goats Rock

Goats Rock Member

Jun 20, 2011
    NE Ohio
    Unfortunately, anyone with goats, or any livestock, has to have the vet out to get a "relationship" in order to get many drugs. Since a lot of the common over the counter antibiotics are going to become vet sold only, we all need to get that darn "relationship" on the books.

Just another example of "over reach" by those that think we are too dumb to think for ourselves!
    (Not being political, honest!)

They talk about antibiotic and parasitic resistance. But the ones that caused the problems in the first place were those with all the education- the vets and MD's. Instead of listening to the farmers, etc. they insisted on following only what they were taught. Book learnin' is good, actual experience is way better! (my humble opinion!)

20. MellonFriend

MellonFriend Well-Known Member

I feel pretty lucky to have a knowledgeable mobile vet that will come out to my farm. She lived on a goat farm while getting her degree and she is pretty young so her knowledge isn't very outdated, but she still said some things to me that I had to raise an eyebrow at. She had never heard that copper helps with parasites, and she didn't think selenium or zinc was necessary to supplement as long as I was feeding a balanced goat feed. The reason I love her though, is she seemed very willing to give me two of the Rx items I asked for even though she didn't necessarily agree with needing them for example, BoSe. She has also assisted with many, many kiddings and can and has done C-sections.

GoofyGoat and Moers kiko boars like this.