Pet Peeves

Discussion in 'The Chatter Box' started by goatygirl8, May 4, 2018.

1. Goats Rock

Goats Rock Member

Jun 20, 2011
    NE Ohio
    A good vet will tell you about their knowledge, a great one will listen to you and check into things further, in order to become an even better vet!

2. Moers kiko boars

Moers kiko boars Well-Known Member

Apr 22, 2018
    Oklahoma
    Well I took my Lightning to Oklahoma State University..and supposedly got a world renowned super smart goat vet. Due to covid..I never saw him only over the phone communication. Well due to a knee injury..I was asked..what is the value of this animal..I got.mad. without a 1500.00 surgery the animal would be dead in 10 days. I told the vet I want xrays..I want you away from my animal..and I want a written report.of all you did and said. I'll pick him up in 10.minutes. That was 5 months ago. Lightning is growing,walking with a slight.limp..and doing well. My regular vet was so embarrassed by this other.vet..he called.him & asked him what was he talking about?
    So...for me...I'll take the ol.country.vet over the know it all idiot vet who puts $$ over reality. Sorry..but it still makes me mad.

3. luvmyherd

luvmyherd Well-Known Member

Apr 9, 2011
    NorCal
    We had a great old country vet who retired on us. He would say, "Well, let's try this; don't want to spend $300 on a $50 goat!"

4. MellonFriend

MellonFriend Well-Known Member

That's one of the good things about living in a lower income area. The vets around here, even dog and cat vets understand that not everyone can pay an arm an a leg for this, thus, and so. They are willing to work with you to help you find treatment options that fit your budget. There's a vet that we don't use because she's not mobile that treats any animal under the sun, and she said that she has to have a plan A, B, C, D etcetera for those who still want to treat their animal, but can't necessarily afford to.

5. R.Williamson

R.Williamson Well-Known Member

Mar 21, 2019
    South Carolina
    The vets in my area are 100% upfront on payment. If you are able to get care credit awesome. If not , you better have the cash in your account. I cannot say I blame them though. Primarily a horse area where I am and retirees. Race horses,show,polo ponies etc.
    Prices have sky rocketed here for anything that might possibly pertain to a horse, except of course actual horse prices.
    Huge pet peeves of mine. People hear you are buying hay for goats and are like, " Well, I got this hear stuff that's been out in the field and rained on a few times. I'll sell it $5 a square". Set eyes on it humoring said person. Mulch..it is a MULCH bale. I swear goat does not mean Garbage disposal. My goats won't touch half the hay my horses would have devoured.

6. MellonFriend

Ugh... I have a pet peeve. How about when you've been feeding your doe her herbal wormer for MONTHS hidden in applesauce in their nightly grain and suddenly out of the blue she decides it's disgusting and wont eat it after giving it one sniff. I don't get it! All my other goats eat it no problem and suddenly she wants nothing to do with it. (headsmash) :mad:

7. luvmyherd

Apr 9, 2011
    NorCal
    Been there! My girls would take something with no problem and suddenly it becomes poison.

8. Moers kiko boars

Apr 22, 2018
    Oklahoma
    The Only thing my girls eat no matter what .. their grain. Everything else has changed. Lol

Feira426, Iluvlilly! and MellonFriend like this.
  9. MellonFriend

Well it's good to know I'm not alone. Now to figure out how to get her to take it... She doesn't really like any treats that aren't leaves. I tried treat balls with molasses. Nope. Apparently molasses is poison. :rolleyes: Maybe if I put plain applesauce in for a couple days she'd eat it without thinking. Hmm...

Iluvlilly! and Moers kiko boars like this.
  10. Tanya

Tanya Well-Known Member

Gizmo and Destiny lived off banana at one stage. Now they turn their.nose up. If an apple is slightly bruised they turn their nose up. If the garlic is too chunky they turn their nose up.
    Goats, sometimes you got it, sometimes you dont

11. luvmyherd

Apr 9, 2011
    NorCal
    Which leads me to the age old goat owner's major pet peeve; *goats will eat anything!*

12. Tanya

Tanya Well-Known Member

Agh I hate it when that assumption is made

Moers kiko boars and Iluvlilly! like this.
  13. Goats Rock

Goats Rock Member

Jun 20, 2011
    NE Ohio
    Pet peeve for today! Young does in their first heat cycle! They scream like little banshees and won't shut up.. Way too young to breed and in a pen of 13, 5 or 6 are in their first heat! Naturally, they are in the center of the barn and you can't get away from the noise! Yikes!!!!

I sold all my Nubians (sorry Nubian people) because they were all pretty vocal. They had nothing on these little demons! All purebreds, but different breeds, Alpine, Lamancha, Toggenburg and one Oberhasli) They all holler! :ahh::what::haha::love:

14. Feira426

Feira426 Well-Known Member

Dec 11, 2019
    Texas
    So you know how goats HATE if you change ANYTHING about their routine? But then every now and then THEY suddenly decide they are going to change the routine on you? I have this nice milker, Hasi. Every evening I put out hay, wait ten or fifteen minutes so everyone can eat a bit, then go to the gate and call for Hasi. She comes through the gate and heads for the stand to get her grain, and I milk her. After, I give her half a carrot for being good and standing still, and then bribe her to follow me back to the gate with the second half of said carrot. I open the gate, give her the carrot, and she goes off to rejoin the other goats. Nice routine, right?

But then every now and then she suddenly decides she doesn’t really NEED the second half of that carrot, and she just stops a few yards from the gate and stares at me. “Hasi, you have to go back in the goat yard with the other goats.” “No, I’ll stay in the backyard. Maybe I’ll go eat your trees.” “No, I won’t let you eat my trees. Carrots are your favorite thing. We do this every night. What’s the problem here?” “What’s YOUR problem, human?” And off she goes to try to eat my trees. Lol

15. happybleats

happybleats Well-Known Member

Sep 12, 2010
    Gustine Texas
    Yes!! Screaming yearlings Here too!! And will have to put up with it until breeding season is over.

16. Moers kiko boars

Apr 22, 2018
    Oklahoma
    Yes..the doelings first heats turn all my.girls into gymnasts. They are jumping and rearing..while they wag their tails and attempt to play leap frog. Then they sing to each other and play chase. What I love is when they lean into the fence and then put their butts in the fence. Right across from the Bucks pen. Really? 6 ft away? It needs to be 6 miles lol lol . I turn on the electric fence and put vetrx on my boys. It seems to.help. poor boys... lol

17. Tanya

Tanya Well-Known Member

Pet peeve. When they think its funny to bring home a day old chick and you do the all round feeding

Attached Files:

18. AndersonRanch

AndersonRanch Well-Known Member

Oct 17, 2020
    California
    What is that!!!! I want it :love: this guy gave me a box of baby pigeons. Once I realized pigeons were NOT like chickens and I had to hand feed them, that was the coolest thing ever! I love my pigeons and enjoyed raising them.

Moers kiko boars, Kass and Feira426 like this.
  19. Tanya

Tanya Well-Known Member

If I knew I could get the right baby food. Right now it could be anything from a Pidgeon to a muisvoel. Whatever it is it is ALWAYS hungry. But I do run a rescue. So rescue I must.

20. Boers4ever

Boers4ever Well-Known Member

Jun 28, 2020
    East Texas
    Tanya your amazing! I couldn’t imagine feeding those things round the clock like that. Raising a bottle baby is hard enough!!

Moers kiko boars and Iluvlilly! like this.