Pet Peeves

Discussion in 'The Chatter Box' started by goatygirl8, May 4, 2018.

1. Tanya

Tanya Well-Known Member

Cant she become some ones pet?

2. AndersonRanch

AndersonRanch Well-Known Member

Oct 17, 2020
    California
    You know what don’t be so hard on yourself! You raise dairy goats, more then 2 teats is not that common of a thing. So this was a fluke thing and something that was understandable missed.
    Now I and my close goat friends have a on going joke about things like this. I don’t know if you remember the guy I sold a buck to that claimed he had no balls? If not this is the story:
    Sold the buck, 100% had balls because I check testicles for splits because the sire did throw some splits. 9 months later the guy contacts me saying he has no balls and wants a refund......the guy had to have done something there. Anyways so at times like this I would say, it could be worse, you could have taken 9 months to realize your buck had no balls lol

3. Goats Rock

Goats Rock Member

Jun 20, 2011
    NE Ohio
    Yes, I do remember the "No Balls" story!
    That made me chuckle.
    I usually check the kids for extra teats. Somehow missed her. Unfortunately,
    most people don't want pet goats.

My truck is in the body shop, so she has a week reprive. ( A deer hit it a few weeks ago).

4. luvmyherd

luvmyherd Well-Known Member

Apr 9, 2011
    NorCal
    I feel for you and understand. I have made similar mistakes. It is part of the lifestyle.

I have posted the pet peeve of our neighbors. UHG!!! We have owned this property since 1979! We had a vacant lot to the south and an old (quiet) lady to the north. We now have a neighbor on the south who is okay. Once in a while he plays music too loud and after we have had enough we call and he says sorry and turns it down. He has also been very helpful when our pump has stopped and we need to tap into his well for a few days etc. (We also help him out.)
    But since Bebe died; the situation to the north has been horrible. We tried to buy her land but lost out to someone with CASH. He only lived there 2 years before he died and his son took over. For 18 months we put up with tenants who blasted rap music well into the wee hours of the morning. We would often call the Sherriff and it would stop, very temporarily. (After 18 months they disappeared in the middle of the night.) It was quiet for quite a while. The property was condemned by the county.
    Then, a motor home showed up! And another and another. Basically we have a homeless encampment next door. Now, I have every empathy for the homeless. I would have kept quiet if they would. I mean; they are living there illegally so it seems they would want to stay quiet and not be noticed. Not so! They play loud music and stand in the yard right outside my bedroom window and talk really loud. So much so that this 67yo woman (me) went out on the porch in my pajamas and screamed some expletives the least of which was calling them idiots and reminding them that it was 2AM!!
    Getting rid of them gets really sticky in that the only way to have the law come in is to sue the landowner in small claims court so he will evict them. Then it gets super sticky. The landowner wants to evict them but can not afford the lawyer and filing fees required to get them out.
    What really gets my ire up is that in 1984 our house burned down. We asked the county if we could live in an RV while we rebuilt. We were told an emphatic NO! Little did we know that if we had just done it without asking permission; we would have been fine.
    Sorry this is so long but it is a rant that has been building for some time. And they are still there with their barking dogs and loud voices not caring at all about the neighbors.

5. Goats Rock

Goats Rock Member

Jun 20, 2011
    NE Ohio
    Yikes! I sure hope your vagabonds leave soon! How annoying, can you set up targets and start target practice? (just kidding, sorta!)

6. luvmyherd

luvmyherd Well-Known Member

Apr 9, 2011
    NorCal
    Don't think it hasn't occurred to us.

Iluvlilly! likes this.
  7. Tanya

Tanya Well-Known Member

At least there its easier to evict. Our courts send us to high court and the first sitting out of 20 only occures 2 years after filing. It can take 20 years to evict. And probably such damage to property that no one can use it again.

8. Tanya

Tanya Well-Known Member

And load shedding has been implemented again. In summer and during lock down. Really.

Iluvlilly! and Moers kiko boars like this.
  9. Goats Rock

Goats Rock Member

Jun 20, 2011
    NE Ohio
    The US Postal service gets the PET PEEVE of the year award. Sheesh. I got Christmas cards delivered the day after New Years! They lost 2 bills that I paid, bank said they never cleared, but I personally put them in the slot at the Post Office. Then to top it off, my check for the NAPGa didn't arrive. Who knows what lost letter land that is sitting in.
    DH had to get a truck, old one finally died. The bank sent out his first payment paper Dec. 4. We got it YESTERDAY. It came from Cleveland, 50 miles away. A toddler could walk that sooner than the post office delivers.

I am beyond frustrated. The USPS whines that they need more money, raise stamp prices, then don't deliver in a timely manner and wonder why everyone is going to online banking. Gee, it doesn't take a business degree to figure out, if you don't deliver, there won't be any customers.

I am old fashioned and mail my checks for every bill, every month. Heck, I didn't even get one bill until the day it was due......

Sorry for the rant, just so frustrated......................

10. bisonviewfarm

bisonviewfarm Well-Known Member

Apr 2, 2015
    CO
    People that reply to my sale ads not buy but to tell me how I should word it! I decided to list a couple does and buy some that are due earlier. I put them as exposed to my wether buck. First message it can't be a weather ( his spelling) and a buck. Well no but it can be a buck with genetics geared towards producing wethers . His response Dont put breed to my weather buck, lut breed to buck for show weathers .
    Hmm doubt I'd make many sales selling does breed to weathers peopled probably avoid me like the plague for not knowing what I'm talking about or atleast I would. He's now spam

11. Motherof5

Motherof5 Member

Apr 17, 2019
    Kentucky
    When I hear that people leave their goat outside at night in an area where coyotes are everywhere. Am I just stupid??? Aren't you supposed to bring them in at night?

Moers kiko boars and Iluvlilly! like this.
  12. Sfgwife

Sfgwife Well-Known Member

Feb 17, 2018
    North Cakalaki

A lot of people do not bring their herd in at night.

13. bisonviewfarm

bisonviewfarm Well-Known Member

Apr 2, 2015
    CO
    I think I know of one person in my area that brings them in at night and only because they have a high mountain lion population. We've got coyotes but they don't seem to have any interest in the goats.

14. AlabamaGirl

AlabamaGirl Well-Known Member

Jun 18, 2020
    Southeast
    A find it slightly annoying when I am searching for bucks and all I can find are pictures of their dam or sisters. I want to see what he looks like, not them.

15. Motherof5

Motherof5 Member

Apr 17, 2019
    Kentucky
    I think we spoil ours then. Lol.

Attached Files:

16. goatblessings

goatblessings Fair-Haven Supporting Member

Jan 5, 2015
    Southwest Ohio
    People post dams and sister to a buck, because genetically that's what important in the udders. They should however, include pics of the buck. I bring my in at night because I have the space, no LGD, and I worry.

17. Moers kiko boars

Moers kiko boars Well-Known Member

Apr 22, 2018
    Oklahoma
    Mine are all spoiled. They come in on their own. Thet are feed and they like their home. I do have LGDs and they come in too. I dont know.if they all dont.like the dark..are scardy cats. Or just like the comforts of home(rofl)(rofl)

18. NigerianNewbie

NigerianNewbie Well-Known Member

Jun 5, 2018
    Central NC
    Mine come into shelter on their own whether night or day. Granted if there were an immediate threat to their safety, more than likely the doors to their individual stalls would be closed and fastened until the threat was taken care of.

From my own experiences, coyote travel in daylight as much, if not more, than nighttime. I have had more problems with free roaming domestic dogs and absolutely no problems from the coyote.

19. Tanya

Tanya Well-Known Member

My two are taken in to a pen at night. Its locked with a padlock. We have stock theft every now and again. Being sick they come into the house now. My chickens are locked away too. Theives are not interrsted in my other rescues.