The Goat Spot Forum banner

841 - 860 of 885 Posts

·
Registered
2,078 Posts
I have to go to the end of each post to
find the latest.
Same here. Used the "mark all read" button after reading through that multitude of the very first start up daily posts. (After being frustrated over having to search to find the most recent reply each and every post.) Since reading through the very first start up longish post listings and then clearing those posts by marking the forums as read, the threads now show up with the most recent post first.

·
Registered
768 Posts
There was a lady I bought a couple doelings from that went ON AND ON about this doe that she is selling. Finally I decided to go ahead and give it a try. When I went over there to pick up the doe she has a ballooned udder, very overly grown hooves, skinny, and can barely walk. Went ahead and got her since we drove all that way. Later found out she is almost ten! Still can barely walk. I’m not so sure that she’ll even be able to make it through her pregnancy in this shape. I’m doing everyone I can for her but it still makes me pretty mad that she would sale a goat in her condition without giving any warning to me! I decided to keep her for a year and if she doesn’t kid by then I’ll sell her.

·
Registered
314 Posts
I unfortunately had a TSC build a store directly across the street from my home several years ago.
I tried to be a nice "Country Person/Farmer" and be polite, all that.
Now I am mean, dismissive and rude. I also call the cops a lot.
I am not the TSC hobby farm/petting zoo.
I have a big freaking sign on the gate that says no goats for sale.
I had to add no chickens, trailer, motorcycles for sale either.
I have had my "No Trespassing" signs stolen. Twice.
I lose 3-4 mailboxes a year to TSC customers wrecks.
I actually used to hide on their outdoor animal sales days.
I cringe and bite my tongue when people say how much they love TSC.
All of their and their customers trash/flyers/receipts/plastic bags end up in my ditch, on my fence or in the pasture.
All that to lead up to my peeve: I was sleeping soundly this morning (only day off + rain)
When my dogs start carrying on because their is some guy at my gate yelling.
I wasn't really focused so I staggered out and there is some weird dude telling me he has this ram he wants to sell...
I pointed out that I did not have sheep. He said he didn't want any goats.
Did I point out that I work nights? and at the time of this encounter I had been asleep approximately 2 hours?
So this bizarro guy just isn't making sense to me.
I told him I didn't want his sheep, that he had woken me up and that he needed to go away.
Then he said, not joking, that he needed me to get my husband because I didn't know any better.
I checked the padlock, told him to wait right there. I went to the carport and called the cops.
That poor man was still at the gate, waiting for my husband when the Sheriff's deputies showed up.
Okay. Rant over with. For now.

·
Registered
Kinder Goat Breeder
2,960 Posts
My Pet Peeve: When you have two very large, territorial livestock guardian dogs and a gate at the end of your property with a sign on it that says "beware of the dog" and yet some psychotic lady bring a two year old and LEANS ON YOUR GATE while looking at your goats. The dogs are freaking out and barking their heads off and you LEAN ON THE GATE!?! Okay, so my dogs wouldn't hurt anyone, but still, this psyco doesn't know that. How does she know that my 36in tall dog won't jump the fence and attack or kill your two year old? They are barking like they would. You shouldn't even be anywhere near my gate. There's plenty of space to stand without being right on my property line. I'm absolutely livid! 😡 I'm thinking about putting a sign on the gate that says, "Absolutely no leaning on the gate allowed, especially if you have a kid".

·
Registered
3,460 Posts
Stories like that make me very glad I don't live anywhere near a town or highway. I'm not far from stuff, but I'm off the beaten path on a dead-end road so the only people we see near our property are usually other country folk. I even have a super long driveway so my house and animals aren't visible from the quiet dirt road we live on, so it makes life very tranquil. Sorry you guys have to deal with humans making nuisances of themselves!

·
Registered
413 Posts
Pet peeve- stupid cheap rude people trying to buy your goats!
So the long story short, guy contacts me wanting dapple does. I have seen his ISO ads all over FB. He just wants commercial and I was planning on just sending to the sale so figure why not help the dude out.
So I tell him I’ll get pics and prices when I get the chance. I get the “pictures yet” any pictures? Hello! HEY! (I kid you NOT he sent HEY!
So I get around to it and send. He offers $300 less if he takes all. Ok it never hurts to ask if someone will take something less. Not offended or upset at all. So I send him the invoice of what I have been getting for my kids, which is close to what I told him. He tries telling me that’s for does not 3 month old kids.
Now I’m annoyed but keeping my cool. I tell him no that is for kids, if you think they will go for what your offering then buy them threw the sale no hard feelings I’m trying to be fair but not screw my self. He asks where I live and I tell him. He says that’s a hour and a half away.....it’s not it’s 45 minutes I looked this dude up and he loves by a friend of mine, and offers $250 less then what I’m asking. That is cheaper then after commission and I wouldn’t even have to waste a hour or two meeting with this joker. So I’m done. No more replying from me. For HOURS I get messages how he can come tomorrow, then he can come today, will I take his offer then the random “hello” and “???????” I knew I didn’t have it in me for this crap, it’s the same crap from people EVERY year.
But a rave in this as well! Thank goodness to my wonderful goat friends I have made on here because I was so annoyed I messaged my good friend Moers about it and she talked me out of being mad and made me laugh over it lol

·
Registered
471 Posts
Omg alwaystj, MellonFriend, and Jessica, I'd be livid! People are unbelievable.

I have a couple new peeves too. My brother has recently moved back to the family property with his girlfriend. For the most part they don't visit the livestock much (that I know of) mostly because of my brother's lack of interest. Last week my mom got a text that my brother was going to bring a coworker over to see the baby goats. I was a little annoyed that he texted her and not me (they are MY goats after all, and a visit would disrupt MY routine) but whatever. So I'm out feeding the goats that evening and my brother's girlfriend walks up to the goat pen with two stranger in tow, starts petting my two barking Pyrenees over the fence (I always discourage petting over the fence because I don't want them to learn to jump on the fence) then lets herself into the goat pen (all without acknowledging me or, you know, asking permission) proceeds to let herself into the kid pen, and starts passing kids over the fence to her friends to hold!!! I was pretty furious but I went along with it because I didn't want to be "that guy," but seriously, who does that?? And I was right there loading up hay, how hard would it be to ASK before going in the goat pen? And I do NOT want my dogs that I've spent years training learning to accept strangers that just anyone brings by! And it may be the family property, but we're all adults here. My younger brother is almost 30. It's not like they didn't know better. I'm still furious over that one!

Second peeve is also my brother! He's on a roll! So again, we're all adults but it's my parents' property we live on. I wanted to get another dog but my parents weren't on board. Having another dog running around is different than, say, adding another goat. So I respected their decision (especially since they already graciously put up with my two Pyrenees and their night barking) but was still trying to convince them that I needed a third dog. So my brother moves back to the farm with his hyperactive 3 year old Queensland heeler that he can't keep under control, and his girlfriend's geriatric mixed breed. I have no love in my heart for his aggravating heeler but he already had the dogs so what can you do? Then, a couple weeks ago, he shows up out of the blue with- want to guess? A hyperactive one year old Queensland heeler! Did he ask first? No! Did he know that no one else on the property (including his girlfriend) wanted another heeler around? Yes! So frustrating because I try to be respectful and he just does what he wants! Now if I get my 3rd dog we will have 6, and that's just too much. I have lots of farm animals besides the goats and I'm stressed enough trying to keep everyone healthy and safe without dogs everywhere and girlfriends passing my goats around to strangers like party favors! Argh! I just need to vent and maybe install some electric fence...

·
Registered
471 Posts
Wait wait, I've got another one! Popular social media accounts that are always asking for donations "to help feed the fur babies"/for vet bills/to help BUY A NEW FARM, etc....and who are actually getting those donations! Now I don't mean rescues. I mean breeders and individuals who otherwise SHOULD be able to pay for their animals themselves. Everyone has heard of Esther the Wonder Pig, right? Owners bought a teacup pig, it turned out to be a full-sized commercial hog, owners asked the internet for money so they could buy a farm to keep their giant pig, and the internet actually delivered! And there's a farm that raises cute cows and is always asking for donations to "feed the fur babies" or to donate to calf XYZ's medical care, and gives off a rescue vibe...but they're breeders. They recently asked for donations for a down payment on another farm and it sounds like the internet gave it to them. Hey, I have a lot of animals- who wants to buy ME a farm? Anyone want to pay MY huge feed bill? They're my animals that I bought and they're my responsibility, but why shouldn't the internet want to donate to feed my "fur babies"? I'll even post cute pictures of them! Argh, makes me irrationally angry every time I see that crap!

Phew, I need to settle down, it's a work night!

P.S. If you'd like to donate to help feed the fur babies so I don't have to go to work-- okay yes I'll stop now for real!

·
Registered
3,460 Posts
I was pretty furious but I went along with it because I didn't want to be "that guy,"
Sometimes you just need to be "that guy." And it's ok. When you don't set boundaries, people don't know any better so it's not actually their fault. Once you've explained how things work, if they don't respect those boundaries then you've got a right to be angry. I understand you don't want to be a selfish jerk to people, but you also don't want to be a doormat. Set some rules about your animals. Now that the girlfriend has brought strangers over and walked right in and messed with your dogs and goats under your eye without comment, they've been given passive permission to do it when you're not there. It will be harder for you to tell them "no" now, and it will be harder for them to accept it. Training people isn't much different than training animals--you need to be firm, fair, and consistent. As a people trainer you need to be comfortable being "that guy." ;)

841 - 860 of 885 Posts