The Goat Spot Forum banner

861 - 880 of 885 Posts

·
Registered
471 Posts
Sometimes you just need to be "that guy." And it's ok. When you don't set boundaries, people don't know any better so it's not actually their fault. Once you've explained how things work, if they don't respect those boundaries then you've got a right to be angry. I understand you don't want to be a selfish jerk to people, but you also don't want to be a doormat. Set some rules about your animals. Now that the girlfriend has brought strangers over and walked right in and messed with your dogs and goats under your eye without comment, they've been given passive permission to do it when you're not there. It will be harder for you to tell them "no" now, and it will be harder for them to accept it. Training people isn't much different than training animals--you need to be firm, fair, and consistent. As a people trainer you need to be comfortable being "that guy." ;)
Oh, I know it! I have a lot of rules and I usually AM "that guy" lol. That's part of why I was trying to be lenient this time. I also gave it a pass because my baby goats ARE the cutest things in the world so I understand the excitement, and because I want to keep peace with the girlfriend. I talked to my mom about it and she said she'd talk to my brother. But I absolutely agree, I should have said something at the time. We have a lot of rules in place for tenants in regards to the animals, but since it's family this time I don't know if the rules just weren't covered clearly or if they thought they were an exception. Hopefully there will be no more incidents.

·
Registered
471 Posts
I wasn't aware of the social media scams.
Calistar, hold your ground!
It's not really a scam, they're honest about being breeders when asked, but the way they word things and the animals they're always bringing in makes it sound like they're a rescue. Lots of their followers think they are. I don't know, I'm probably just bitter (okay, I'm definitely bitter!) but it rubs me the wrong way.

·
Registered
2,739 Posts
@Calistar and as much as I need funding for my rescue, I never ever consider this kind of request, advert or attempt to raise funds in that manner. I will do markets and shows or walk throughs with schools but with permission. Its hard enough fighting off people who think they are animal activists and who have animals interest at heart. But I will never ask the public to fund my shelter or donate to it.

·
Registered
413 Posts
Ok calistar you probably just did my biggest pet peeve of them all! I can not stand that crap! And as bad as it is with fur babies horses are the worse!
I always knew the horse rescues were a scam but I didn’t know just how bad until I started working at the auction for the horse sale. These gals will come in ahead of time and snap pictures of the horses and post them as in danger of slaughter. Which is total BS because there is no butchering here, even if someone gets the bright idea to buy a horse and take to slaughter they are risking jail time and there is no way shipping them out of state is going to be worth it. Most of the buyers are people who buy horses and work with them and resell. Anyways the horses they buy are usually about $400. But they post them for funds, they are going to “be butchered” so all these bleeding hearts start sending money. These girls are getting about $3-4,000 a horse in funds, buying them, work with them and then turn around and resell them for $2,500 because another bleeding heart has to get that horse that was saved for their feel good moment. They are flippers just like the other buyers but because they state they are a “rescue” then it’s all ok while they scam people. One lady made a post that she does all this on a school teachers salary, I replied “no you don’t you do all this on other people’s dime” and was blocked faster then I could take my next breath lol

·
Registered
4,116 Posts
I agree with you guys. If you are buying a horse from an auction it is NOT a rescue, you are buying the animal. Yes maybe the horse is in better circumstances but you are still buying it.
We are a little different over this side of the country because we are close to the Canadian boarder and do have kill buyers at our auctions. There are sorry cases that go through there and there are some diamonds. IF you are buying horses from the auction to retrain and sell you are not a rescue you are a horse flipper. There is nothing wrong with that but call it what it is and dont seek donations. If a rescue is asking for money for a horse's "bail" from a "killpen" then they shouldnt be getting the horse in the first place. They are asking you to fund their hobby and buy them a horse....thats it. The horse isnt at risk, they wouldnt slaughter a horse that they can make money on. Real slaughter bound businesses are not going to waste money housing the horses and advertising them. They are going to pick them up from auction pack them on the trailer and be done with it. The only way its considered a rescue is if you go to these kill buyer auctions along the boarders and buy the horse directly from the slaughter truck.
Sanctuaries for domesticated animals is a scam. Especially if those animals are otherwise able to be rehomed.

·
Registered
29,851 Posts
I'm all for rescuing animals. I'm all for being a bona-fide registered rescue who runs on donations. What gets me is when I see these so called rescues who have too many to care for making the circumstances even worse on the animals health and over all care. We took in donkeys for several years. We had our limit that we could afford to feed and care for. We tamed them..castrated the jacks...taught basic manners...even had a few my daughter taught to jump, pull, back up and so forth. We then rehomed them to vetted each new home and the job the donkey would do. We were not a certified rescue. We had no funding or training or any help. We chose it. When things got lean we stopped bringing them home as much as it pained me...but without enough pasture to feed them or money to keep them in hay, farrier care and vetting..we had to stop. It's irresponsible to take in so many animals you can't care for them properly. And yes I'm thinking a few current places right now. We still get calls to help a donkey and when I do. I get on the phone and do what I can to find placements. A rescue should not be worse than they were saved from!

·
Registered
314 Posts
My computer issue is that I can understand words but I don't understand symbols, I am having more and more problems with things with digital readouts.
At work I said the work truck warning light came on. They asked which light. (Also not having glasses on) I said I didn't understand the symbol. When asked to describe it, I had to say it looked like a hamster with a propeller on one end. Apparently that's the check engine light. Why can't it just say engine? It used to.
I am not stupid but I learned to read, not to interpret pictographs.

·
Registered
768 Posts
My computer issue is that I can understand words but I don't understand symbols, I am having more and more problems with things with digital readouts.
At work I said the work truck warning light came on. They asked which light. (Also not having glasses on) I said I didn't understand the symbol. When asked to describe it, I had to say it looked like a hamster with a propeller on one end. Apparently that's the check engine light. Why can't it just say engine? It used to.
Lol!!! Thanks for making my day! This is exactly my problem.

·
Registered
3,460 Posts
I'm the same way! Our Dodge diesel truck has an engine brake and when we first got the truck I didn't know we had that feature, but I also didn't know what the little button was with the weird symbol on it. It looks like a rather explosive puff of wind. When my husband saw it he said, "What's this fart button do?" I couldn't stop laughing and now whenever I want the engine brake on, I say to Phil, "Engage the fartatron!"

·
8,039 Posts
Pet Peeve: Its Spring- everyone has goats kidding- cute little baby goats. Now, what do you do with all these babies? Take them to the Sale barn, right? Then uninformed but well meaning people buy these poor, scared babies. They get the babies (3 or 4 days old, if that) home. Now what? Oh, call the local goats farms, ME.
" We need milk, help, my baby won't nurse from a bottle, its sick" , etc. Or my favorite, would I disbud their goat with 2 months of horn growth! (NO!) Sheesh- I'm running a dairy BUSINESS, not a petting zoo or vet center. Sorry, I can't help you- I have no milk to spare. Then I feel like the world's biggest jerk. ( I have tried to help them all, but I can't save the world).

I'm sorry, but the above has been repeated 8 times in the last month. People, please educate yourself before you buy any animal. And don't breed just to have babies. Those babies have the potential to live 12-15 years, the average person only has goats for 4 years. Make sure you have a market before you breed for all those babies. Or at least try to arrange for someone to get your extra babies. Ok, off my soap box! (boy, I miss our old goats smilies-)

·
Registered
249 Posts
Pet peeve: not being taken seriously for being a 'piski meye' (little girl). Lol..I KNOW I don't know everything...but surely I have learnt something keeping goats for 5 years! I won't lecture people on how to keep THEIR animals...but it sure is unpleasant to hear comments like, 'iv had animals (as in a cow, not goats) before you were born...who told you they cant be tied up(with a small leash) all day! Why I was caring for cattle( again referring to that cow) when you were still nursing!'....ok sir, I respect your experience, but please let me keep my animals how I feel they're happy! :rolleyes:
having said that..it's not like I mind some good informed advice, delivered nicely:)

·
Registered
314 Posts
Pet Peeve: Its Spring- everyone has goats kidding- cute little baby goats. Now, what do you do with all these babies? Take them to the Sale barn, right? Then uninformed but well meaning people buy these poor, scared babies.
Unfortunately, those people will probably never see your post!
I don't have people calling for milk, I have toothless Tractor Supply customers and their spawn
blocking my driveway (when I am leaving for work) wanting a baby goat.
And getting very angry at me when I say no!
It's that time of the year when I actually try to hide the fact that I am here.
It creeps me out when someone catches me here and the first thing they say is,
"I've been watching your house trying to catch someone home for weeks!"

We do need a "Rant Over" emoji!

·
Registered
314 Posts
Pet peeve: not being taken seriously for being a 'piski meye' (little girl). Lol..I KNOW I don't know everything...but surely I have learnt something keeping goats for 5 years! I won't lecture people on how to keep THEIR animals...but it sure is unpleasant to hear comments like, 'iv had animals (as in a cow, not goats) before you were born...who told you they cant be tied up(with a small leash) all day! Why I was caring for cattle( again referring to that cow) when you were still nursing!'....ok sir, I respect your experience, but please let me keep my animals how I feel they're happy! :rolleyes:
having said that..it's not like I mind some good informed advice, delivered nicely:)
You are so right and it does sound like you are trying to be resectful, you should get credit for your experience no matter what age you are.
I am often treated like I am helpless, and don't now anything about goats because I am one of the "old" people!
I cannot tell you how angry I feel when someone comes to buy or see a goat and starts telling me all the
things they see at my place that they don't agree with!
I try to be tactful but invariably resort to rudeness.

·
Registered
768 Posts
I definitely understand that. My family especially used to not really take my knowledge seriously. But now I think I’ve gotten to the point where they are just like: “they’re YOUR goats!” So they leave me alone about it. Especially since I’ve done quite a few goat presentations and lectures for the local AG kids and ranchers.

861 - 880 of 885 Posts