Phantom Limp in Saanen Doe

Discussion in 'Health & Wellness' started by kornhypknotic, Oct 9, 2009.

1. kornhypknotic

kornhypknotic New Member

May 14, 2009
    Waco, TX
    Howdy all! :wave: Been gone a while!

I have an amazing 4 year-old doe that recovered from an intense bout with septic mastitis 2 months ago that left the infected half of her udder scarred and drawn up. At least she's still with us! :hug:

It's strange though . . . as soon as her udder recovered she developed a limp in her left foreleg and I cannot figure out what is wrong!! :hair: I thought it would go away with time since she does have CAE and I thought it was acting up because of the stress of her illness. But it's been 2 months now and it looks so painful! I've seen the "big knee" mastitis that is characteristic of a CAE infection and this doesn't really look like that. It's as if she is walking on the tips of her hooves on that leg. It's like she's walking on tiptoes . . . what does that mean? :scratch:

I've trimmed her hooves looking for thorns or infection and they are fine! I've felt the joints of her knee, fetlock, and pastern in that leg and there is no heat or swelling. The only thing I've noticed is that there is audible crepitation (snap-crackle-pop) in her joints when she walks. I wish I could treat her pain, but she is a dairy goat and we cannot give her pain meds while we are selling her milk.

I would appreciate any suggestions that people may have. :shrug:

2. toth boer goats

toth boer goats Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Jul 20, 2008
    Corning California
    She is around 4 years old... and has been diagnosed with CAE ....if you didn't find anything wrong otherwise...then it is most likely CAE ...causing the pain...... :hug:

3. kornhypknotic

kornhypknotic New Member

May 14, 2009
    Waco, TX
    I think her pasterns might be swollen, but it's hard for me to tell . . . she flinches when i touch the area directly above her hoof (fetlock, pastern area)

Can I treat her pain without giving her meds? Anything to get her over this hump :?

4. capriola-nd

capriola-nd New Member

Jul 6, 2008
    Northwest Oregon
    I agree with Pam, it is likely the CAE flaring up. There may be some herbs you could give her to deal with pain. One that comes to mind for pain right off would be Black Cohosh. I have never used it on goats (or myself) so cannot say whether it is safe or not. When I have the time to do more research and make sure it is safe, I was thinking of making a tincture, bu haven't the time to do the thorough research yet. Here is a link I found right off the search engine: http://altmedicine.about.com/od/blackco ... cohosh.htm

Banamine is good for pain but is a drug and prolonged use is not good at all.

Here is a link to an herbal tincture for pain relief from Fias Co Farms: http://www.fiascofarm.com/herbs/mollysh ... cts/ow-eze

5. kornhypknotic

kornhypknotic New Member

May 14, 2009
    Waco, TX
    That would be awesome if we could use some alternative medicine on her! The only problem is that I think even the herbal stuff can be excreted in the milk and who knows if that would be against the law to sell or not :shrug: :help:

Well, we had to dock her tail today because of a degloving injury so I can't use her milk anyway for another week . . . maybe I'll give her something during this time that she's out of rotation :greengrin:

What's the milk withdrawal on aspirin?

6. liz

liz Well-Known Member

Oct 5, 2007
    Shelocta PA
    Aspirin is dosed at 1 - 325mg tablet per 10 lbs of goat......milk with holding time is 24 hours.