Phantom pregnancies in rabbits

Discussion in 'Other Pets' started by Bianca, Apr 6, 2008.

1. Bianca

Bianca New Member

Oct 24, 2007
    Hi. I have a rabbit that is hopefully pregnant. The thing is, on the morning of day 27 of her pregnancy, she started pulling out her fur, so I thought, good, she's starting her nest. But since that morning, she has made no more attempts at nest building whatsoever. It's now day 31, and still nothing. So I was wondering, could it be a phantom?

2. Muddy Creek Farm

Muddy Creek Farm New Member

Oct 5, 2007
    Keokuk, Iowa
    Just curious - how long are rabbits pregnant for?

3. Bianca

Bianca New Member

Oct 24, 2007
    Rabbits are pregnant usually between 28 and 31 days, so I know my rabbit could still be pregnant, but it's odd that she started a nest by pulling fur and then did nothing else.

4. dobe627

dobe627 Senior Member

Oct 16, 2007
    southeast PA
    Yes rabbits are usually pregnant for 28-31 days however I have one mini rex that never has hers until day 32. I have some that will make their nest a few days before than act normal and have them. Also if you pick her up and palpate her belly you will be able to feel the babies. Or you can try putting her in a pen next to a male. Most time the female will growl at him if she is pregnet. But not always. Some females will even actually let the male breed her even if she is preg. that is why I don't put the females in to test. I know some breeders do. Also, what breed is she? Some of the larger breeds can be preg a little longer. Hope that helps.

5. Bianca

Bianca New Member

Oct 24, 2007
    She did decide to go to day 32. :) She had three babies from what I can tell. She is a mini rex, so I guess she's like yours, dobe627. I probably got worried a little too soon, but I never had a rabbit go about nest building in quite that way before or go that long. Oh well, I am just so relieved she gave birth. I had several unsuccessful breedings lately and this was my last chance to have babies old enough to show, which probably also contributed to me being anxious. Thanks for sharing dobe627. I'll keep your ideas in mind if I ever have a rabbit go over again.