Phantom's Got a Puffy, Crusty Eye

Discussion in 'Health & Wellness' started by MellonFriend, Feb 21, 2021.

1. MellonFriend

MellonFriend Well-Known Member

My buck Phantom's left eye is having some sort of issue. A few days ago we had a lot of rain and the bucks got very stir crazy and there was some major sparring going on. After that I noticed that above Phantom's left eye it was rather puffy. Not the actual eyelid, but just above it. I figured that because of all the sparring, maybe he just basically got black eye. I just kept an eye on it (pardon the pun) and the swelling went down, but now today the eye looks like it's draining and crusty. It's still a little puffy above it. It also looks very red at the corner opposite of the tear duct, not the eye, but like the membrane around it. I tried to get a picture of that, but it's only visible when he looks in a certain direction. I think I know what I should do, but I don't have it on hand. Is this a job for LA 200 or is this just going to go away by itself? When I'm not messing with him he holds his eye pretty normally. Also he's acting very normal otherwise. It doesn't seem to be bothering him. IMG_6912.JPG

2. goatblessings

goatblessings Fair-Haven Supporting Member

Jan 5, 2015
    Southwest Ohio
    Being so close to the eye itself, I wouldn't risk infection. I would use the LA 200 on it for at least 5 days.

Goats Rock and MellonFriend like this.

3. MadHouse

MadHouse Well-Known Member

I would treat for pinkeye. Just because the swelling was the first sign in Jeffrey’s pinkeye, and I didn’t treat it thi king it was something else. Becasue I left it untreated for 5 days, it took 12 days to get rid of.
    If it is that, the tears are contagious.

MellonFriend likes this.
  4. MellonFriend

Alright, I'll try to get a hold of some LA 200 tomorrow. I've been meaning to get some on hand anyway. How much should I put in his eye?

5. MadHouse

From Medicine Cabinet 2020

LA 200/Oxytetracycline
    --(Brand Names:LA-200, Oxy-Tet 200, Bio-Mycin 200, Liquamycin LA 200, Geomycin 200, Agrimycin 200, Maxim 200)
    (...)
    Pink Eye: administer a couple drops Oxytetracycline directly into the eye(no needle). Do this for 5 days, 2 x a day.

toth boer goats and MellonFriend like this.
  6. MellonFriend

Thanks for getting me that. I should have just looked for it myself. :confused:

MadHouse likes this.
  7. toth boer goats

toth boer goats Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Jul 20, 2008
    Corning California
  8. MellonFriend

Any suggestions for how to give a buck eyedrops when he really doesn't want them? :bonk: It's been quite a struggle each time.

GoofyGoat likes this.
  9. MadHouse

Before I got my headholder it was a two person job. One straddles him and tries to open his eye as much as possible, the other onedoes the eye drops.
    Good luck!

10. MellonFriend

Okay, I'll get a second set of hands to help me next time. That might make it easier. I have a habit of trying to do things by myself.:imok:

GoofyGoat, MadHouse and Iluvlilly! like this.
  11. MadHouse

Some of them hate it more than others when you have to do something like that! My guy has big horns ... it was a little like giving eye drops to a scorpion... :imok:is right!

MellonFriend likes this.
  12. MellonFriend

I can't believe how strong Phantom is. I mean he's not vey tall, but he's got major power!

GoofyGoat and MadHouse like this.
  13. MadHouse

Especially the neck muscles, right!?

MellonFriend likes this.
  14. MellonFriend

I know, it's crazy! I swear he must be lifting weights with his mouth when I'm not looking. :haha:

GoofyGoat and MadHouse like this.
  15. MellonFriend

So my helper accidentally squirted about a whole cc and a half into his eye because the syringe plunger got stuck. (embarrassed) So... should I still put more in his eye tonight or is he good for the day?

16. MadHouse

17. ksalvagno

ksalvagno Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

I would do it twice a day. That whole thing wouldn't have stayed in his eye.

MadHouse and GoofyGoat like this.
  18. GoofyGoat

GoofyGoat Well-Known Member

Sep 21, 2018
    TEXAS
    You can halter him and short rope him to a fence to make him hold his head up then you can put the drops in. Just tilt his head up a bit higher than normal It gives you more control.
    Good luck, bucks have more power then we think.

MadHouse and MellonFriend like this.
  19. toth boer goats

toth boer goats Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Jul 20, 2008
    Corning California
    Tie his head snug to a fence post and wrap his horns snug to it as well. Tie up one back leg and he shouldn’t be able to move too much.
    Two people is wise.
    One opens the eye and the other puts the drops it in. ;)

MadHouse and MellonFriend like this.
  20. MadHouse