Phew - what a stink!!!!

Discussion in 'Goat Frenzy' started by Trace, Jan 14, 2010.

1. Trace

Trace New Member

Dec 28, 2008
    It warmed up today - and boy did the girls pen start to stink.

I am concerned becuase my horse and goat pen is quite near to my house.

What can I put down to get rid of some of the smell.

How do you manage the smell!!!!

How can my two tiny goats stink more than my 1300lb horse!!!!!!

2. myfainters

myfainters New Member

Oct 29, 2009
    Lancaster, CA
    hmmm... sounds like the pen needs to be scraped out (you need to dig out the soiled layers) and then try a thin layer of lime to dry it out. :- )

3. Dreamchaser

Dreamchaser New Member

Oct 29, 2008
    Camp Verde, AZ
    I was going to say lime too, but I don't know if it would hurt the goats or not.

4. pennylullabelle

pennylullabelle New Member

It warmed up here and you could smell the girl's stall from the house...about 300 feet away! But 5 girls hung out in the stall - refused to leave - for over a week. I stripped it clean. Got every last bit of compacted decomposing bedding and feces out, let it dry for a couple of hours, then laid down new bedding. That's my recommendation, it worked great!

5. Trace

Trace New Member

Dec 28, 2008
    This isn;t where they bed down - its where they eat and stand along the fence line. I know that they come to see us - squat and pee.

So I am going to have to strip the soil and replace all the time to get rid of the stink?

6. crocee

crocee New Member

Jul 25, 2008
    Northeast Arkansas
    I wouldn't strip the soil. Just rake up all the hay and let the sun do its work. The sun goes a long way in deodorizing the pen here.

7. Trace

Trace New Member

Dec 28, 2008
    There's no hay to strip - my horse eats EVERYTHING that they don;t eat lol.

Just the stinky pee areas.

8. pennylullabelle

pennylullabelle New Member

Well, in that case you can try a few things. Cover the spots in dry dirt. Or, baking soda...yup...same stuff you give them for their tummies, dust the smelly spots really thoroughly with it. And lastly, as mentioned, lime, though I don't recommend it, some people use it near their animals.

9. Trace

Trace New Member

Dec 28, 2008
    I will try the baking soda - and see how that goes.

I think taht I will start feeding them in another spot too so that they don;t congregate around the area closest to the house and our noses. LOL.