The Goat Spot Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

· Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Does anyone know if Photinias poisonous? We have a bunch of, i think red tip Photinias along are fence line where ill be fencing in my goats. Might have to pull them out! :x Oh and the neighbor has rhoides along his fence, Ill have to go have a talk with him. :eek:

· Registered
215 Posts
Re: What plants do you worry about?

I've had some Photinia experience here- my goats chow on it with no problems, a friend of mine lets her rescued nigerian dwarf browse freely on it with no problems. I hope it isn't toxic, it's not listed anywhere as toxic, those bright red leaves look toxic, but they so far have shown no problems.

· Registered
41 Posts
Re: What plants do you worry about?

Here is what Wikipedia says about photinia toxicity "Photinia is poisonous to grazing animals. Although generally avoided due to the red color, cuttings mixed in with feed can cause adverse or deadly reactions. Animals without sufficient feed on which to graze will nibble on what they can."
Although I have several good poisonous plant websites that I usually refer to and don't find photina listed on any of them. Makes me think that the photinia toxicity would be extremely low but that is just a guess.
Hemlock trees are fine but poison hemlock or water hemlock the herbaceous plants are deadly. The biggest problem I find with poison oak is that the goats like to eat it and then the oils get transferred to me.
Denise

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.