photograpghy as income?

Discussion in 'The Chatter Box' started by AlaskaBoers, Nov 15, 2010.

1. AlaskaBoers

AlaskaBoers New Member

May 6, 2008
    Wasilla Alaska
    I took pictures at the local 4-H and open shows this year at the AK state fair
    I really enjoyed it and the results were good IMO
    Here's the link to some of the photos I took
    http://www.flickr.com/photos/[email protected]/sets/72157624829951972/

I'm now investing in a Canon T1i DSLR
    http://www.usa.canon.com/cusa/consu...slr_cameras/eos_rebel_t1i_ef_s_18_55mm_is_kit

anyway, I was thinking that since the ADGA shows here usually don't have a photographer that I've seen, 4-H doesn't (except the market animals and buyer) and horse sellers here might want photos taken of their horses that are 'semi' if anything professional. Do you think I may have something here?

2. Heck ya!! I say go for it! I'm always lookin for someone with an "eye" and a good camera to take pics for less than a pro! :thumb: You could take pics of peoples kids doing events and post them on a website for people to purchase too!

3. HoosierShadow

HoosierShadow Senior Member

Apr 19, 2010
    Central Kentucky
    I think you should definitely go for it! You are a wonderful photographer!
    I've heard great things about the T1i too, I think you'll like it! Once you get it and learn how to use it, I do recommend upgrading your lens.
    If you want to do indoor shows, I'd recommend a lens that can get you down to about a F2.8, but they can be costly. I hear Tamron makes some nice lenses though and they aren't as costly. I have the Canon 70-200mm f2.8 lens and love it. Just make sure any lens you buy in the future has 'IS' in the name, the Image stabilizer is a must IMO :)

I know lots of people that make an income doing this kind of stuff, and if there aren't any photographers going to those events, then you aren't stepping on anyones toes, and therefore you could certainly draw in business.

This is actually something I"d like to learn how to do, I think it would be fun to photograph kids and their animals at the fairs/shows.
    Of course my husband thinks I am crazy because I told him as long as what I do pays for itself...then I don't care about making a lot of $$ LOL

A website is a must, but since you already have Flickr, you can use it too. I know a lot of people that use Smugmug, but I think they are more expensive than Flickr.
    Make you some business cards with your name and contact info, and always keep some on you :) This is my mistake...I make them...and leave them on my desk LOL

I don't do a lot of selling of my pictures through the year, I take my pics for the websites I do some work for, get paid whatever we make.
    But at the end of the year I will take some pictures and sell them on ebay. I just started this a week ago and have around $350 in sales, and 2 auctions haven't finished yet.
    I also have private orders for 100 pic photo albums from friends, and prints.

This is how I pay for my kids Christmas, I always donate to the Salvation Army, and this helps us pay for the holidays.
    If you can find a way to market your nature shots....well you got all the scenery you need.... :)

4. AlaskaBoers

AlaskaBoers New Member

May 6, 2008
    Wasilla Alaska
    there are lots of dairy goat breeders who i'd think would really love to have a good person come over and have pics taken. How much would you charge (or pay) for a photographer (and would you charge a flat fee per hour, or ??)

I'm mostly looking for a way to better represent Alaska's livestock, and pay for hay :D

I do LOVE hiking and getting out an seeing the real Alaska, so that'd suit me fine too ;)

5. toth boer goats

toth boer goats Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Jul 20, 2008
    Corning California
    Yes... go for it..... :thumbup: ... it is neat because.... you really enjoy it... as you make money..... :wink: :thumb: :greengrin: :hi5: :hug:

6. HoosierShadow

HoosierShadow Senior Member

Apr 19, 2010
    Central Kentucky
    I'm not sure what you should charge starting out.
    But I would start with, travel. How far you'd have to go, and set a small fee for gas mileage for trips that are I'd say more than 30-45 minutes away.
    You can charge by hour, or charge by photo wanted.
    Right now I typically charge for photo wanted, just because I do most of my work either for my own use, or for a website I supply pics for. If a pic sells through them, we split the $$. If it doesn't, then it doesn't, but I own the copyright and I can market them however I want. Except for some stuff that some places that credential you for won't allow you to sell <media sells only>. That's why I am soooo GLAD I wasn't credentialed for the Breeders Cup a couple of weeks ago. Not being credentialed I can sell my Zenyatta pictures/any pics freely because I didn't sign a paper stating otherwise.

Okay I tend to ramble LOL
    People ask me all the time what I charge. If they want me to do pics for them what they are willing to pay. Sure, seems unprofessional, but I like to get an idea of the price range they have in mind, and go from there.
    I had a woman approach me at a horse sale in Sept and ask me to photograph 15 horses for her. I asked her what she was expecting to pay, and she told me $200. It was a lot of work, but I felt $200 was fare since she wanted email not prints. But it was a time thing I had to get them emailed ASAP before the horses entered the sales ring.

You have to put yourself out there, but don't undersell yourself too much. It's okay when your starting out and just getting the hang of it, but once you are comfortable with it, make sure you are getting your $$ worth out of your time. As you know it takes time to take the pics, edit the pics and order pics. In fact, I have spent ALL morning ordering pics...ugh...LOL
    My standard prices are:
    8x10 $15-20
    5x7 $7.50-10
    4x6 $3.50-5
    I have that price range depending on the subject. If your doing a big show, use the higher end of the scale, if your doing a small show, use the smaller end.
    Also it depends on where you print from as well. If I use the pro lab <WHCC>, I charge my standard high rate, if I use Walgreens I go for the lower end. BUT, it also depends on how many pictures are ordered, the more that are ordered the more of a discount I give.
    For example, a horse racing friend wanted 50, 4x6 prints of horses from their favorite trainer. I did not go out of my way to get these pics, I would have taken them anyway. Some were big name, some were not. I printed at Walgreens, and charged him $65 including shipping. That is VERY inexpensive. But, Walgreens doesn't carry high quality printing services, so for an order that big, I charged what I thought was fare. This person orders from me at least 2x a year, and large # of prints.
    It cost me around $5-6.00 to print those, and about $5.00 to send. So my profit is $50.

I am not the most business savvy person, but, I just like to try and charge what I think is fare.

Okay I am done rambling LOL