The Goat Spot Forum banner

1 - 20 of 54 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi everyone, just wanted to share some pics. I'm not really a photographer, just like taking casual pictures. If any of you have any advice or critiques for me feel free to share! :)
Thanks Kallie!

·
Boers & Nubians
1,938 Posts
I love photography! Got my first camera last Christmas. Your black goat with the blue eyes is very pretty :)

I have loads of goat pictures crammed in my computer!!! They are so hard to get shots of sometimes, but I cant stop taking them.....

·
Goats of da UP
1,142 Posts
I'm not a photographer either. But I've found if you take a bajillion pictures, you can find a couple of awesome ones in the bunch. After taking pictures (of anything), I go through deleting dozens, sometimes hundreds of out of focus, poorly lit, etc. pictures. I do know to mess with some of my camera's settings to get better pictures. Like when I want a close up picture of a goat eyeball, macro mode is valuable. I can make my crappy little point and shoot take a pretty decent picture if all my ducks are in a row, right shutter speed, iso mode, planets are aligned correctly, etc.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Little-Bits-N-Pieces-ADG: Thanks! And I'd love to see some of yours!

TrinityRanch and StacyKins: I feel the same way! My camera and computer are filled with almost all goat pics! And you have to take a billion to get a few good ones.

goatgirl132: I don't know what it's called either at the moment lol! But I haven't edited these pictures at all, sometimes I get carried away with editing though. I'm trying to get good pictures without lightening/editing/ect. so it's probably my camera that needs to be worked on.. possibly?

Thanks for looking everyone!

·
Registered
2,204 Posts
It might just be lighting. Or the camera isn't "up to par" and amazing no offence.
But try it some. Also try some color splash.
If you mind I took your pic I'll delete it :)
I do quite a bit of photography BT I'm picky

Attachments

·
Goats of da UP
1,142 Posts
It might just be lighting. Or the camera isn't "up to par" and amazing no offence.
But try it some. Also try some color splash.
If you mind I took your pic I'll delete it :)
I do quite a bit of photography BT I'm picky
Do you have any secrets to good 'action shots'? Almost every single one is just a goat shaped blur! This is an example of one that didn't blur (much) today, but it didn't turn out as well as I would have liked. You can't really tell from the angle that he was at a full run!

I often get down to goat level. It seems to help...except when goats take it as an invitation to MOB the the person with the camera. It is like they are saying "mom, I am helping!" No, no you are not! Now go over there and look cute, darn it!

Attachments

·
Registered
2,204 Posts
Can you turn up the shutter speed?
The shutter speed can make such a difference!
And look at what setting its in.
Also look to see what kind of light its set in. (Daylight, cloudy)
And on the 2nd paragraph- YES!!! that's always me!!!!

·
Registered
17,285 Posts
Alright, not exactly goats, but it is pictures :)

Last ones' a bonus pic :D

Ice from this year
ice3.jpg

Sunset from a couple months ago
sky.jpg

Random sunlit fallen tree in my pasture
tree.jpg

Some Koi fish
Easter and the animals 037.jpg

One of my female cattle dogs, Candy, on the trampoline in the snow
candy 2.jpg

My Dixie Pup, when she was little, shes huge now :)
dixie.jpg

Some piglets
piglets 2 weeks.jpg

Bonus pic! Autum :)
my phone2 2448.jpg

Attachments

·
14,760 Posts
All are lovely photos :) I think IMO the biggest thing in photography is...what does the picture mean to you? After all, your capturing your experiences & memories :)

Anyone that wants to learn how to take nice pictures, really needs to learn about their camera, the settings, and what their camera is capable of doing.
Putting a camera on auto or some pre set like sports, landscape, etc. and then thinking you'll get that perfect photo may not always work. Now for the average photo, sure it might. But if you want to improve your photos, you have to go beyond that.

Most cameras these days come with more options. I use Canon DSLR camera's and usually either shoot in full manual mode, or TV <shutter Priority>. I like having as much control over the camera settings as possible.

When you take a picture of a moving object, you have to make sure you have shutter speed. Without shutter speed you are more likely to have a blurry image. When I take pictures of the goats, I try to make sure my shutter speed is no less than 500. If I have good lighting then I prefer a shutter speed of 1000.

I photograph horses, it's my favorite hobby <and a nice side job>. I take photos at our local horse track in the spring/fall during the racemeets, I do local horse sales off and on through the year, and some horse events.

Here's a link to my photostream on flickr:
http://www.flickr.com/photos/hoosiershadow/

Albums:
http://www.flickr.com/photos/hoosiershadow/sets

·
Goats of da UP
1,142 Posts
If only I had the shutter speed setting faster, maybe the iso a little lower, then this probably would have been a perfect picture. Oh well!

Attachments

·
Well, my username says it all... :)
2,751 Posts
Here are a few. I'm no photographer at all, as you can tell! But I like pictures. :)

Attachments

1 - 20 of 54 Posts