Photos of my new preggy mule sheep =]

Discussion in 'Goat Frenzy' started by lesserweevil, Mar 8, 2009.

1. lesserweevil

lesserweevil New Member

Oct 5, 2007
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

all 2 year old first timers scanned with twins to lamb in April :party:

2. FunnyRiverFarm

FunnyRiverFarm New Member

Sep 13, 2008
    Hudson, MI
    Cool...you sure are going to have your hands full with all those...lol :)

3. lesserweevil

lesserweevil New Member

Oct 5, 2007
    I actually think some of the white ones are cheviot mules, some may be Welsh mules or North England mules. Heck they're all mules. Which basically mean their sires are Blue Leicesters, their dams are either Scottish Blackface, Welsh Mountain, North England hill sheep or Cheviots, etc.

LW

and yeah... hands full :help:

4. Shelly

Shelly New Member

Oct 5, 2007
    California
    Very nice looking girls. But whats up with the red on them? I thought it was from a marking harness at first, but they have it on their heads :shocked: lol. Do you use the wool? Shelly

5. lesserweevil

lesserweevil New Member

Oct 5, 2007
    I didnt mark them myself, they were like that when I got them, so I assume they were marked to distinguish them in some way for the previous owner.

I dont use the wool, no, I simply sell it on, we dont get much money for wool over here, it's basically a garbage disposal service!

LW

6. kelebek

kelebek New Member

Oct 5, 2007
    South Texas
    So I have seen color on the backside of animals for breeding marks - but the head?? What is that coloring for?

They are very cute! Congrats!!!

7. KW Farms

KW Farms Moderator Supporting Member

Jun 21, 2008
    Wapato, WA
    Those are really neat looking sheep! Congrats on getting them all!!

8. lesserweevil

lesserweevil New Member

Oct 5, 2007
    well I dont know what the mark on the back of the head for these particular sheep means, but I do know that with my own sheep I often mark them there once they're dosed if I'm doing a large number and there is the possibility of them getting mixed up with the "dosed" and "undosed".

LW

9. kelebek

kelebek New Member

Oct 5, 2007
    South Texas
    ahhh,

That would make sense! :wink:

10. lesserweevil

lesserweevil New Member

Oct 5, 2007
    they're not very good pictures because I couldnt get closer than about 20 yards to them cause they're all frightened. But next week I am going to bring them into the barn and house them until lambing, so hopefully they will warm up to us a bit more.

Also I am scared of their babies dying if I leave them outside... either from them rejecting them (as first timers) or foxes, or cold... considering we're still getting snow in March... and my friend found the leg of someone's lamb in our front garden... I guess left there by a fox. So anyway... housing it's gonna be!!!

Sadly I cant bring them in just before lambing as they'd probably all go down with stress-induced hypocalcaemia so I need to bring them in asap - will be 3 weeks before lambing so hopefully not too late then.

LW

11. StaceyRosado

StaceyRosado Administrator Staff Member Supporting Member

Oct 4, 2007
    NJ
    well after last year I hope all lambing goes smoothly for you!