Physical Signs of Breeding?

Discussion in 'Goat Management' started by dldolan, Feb 25, 2019.

1. dldolan

dldolan Member

Jan 19, 2017
    North Bay, California
    Hey There,
    So the Boer buck has been here for a month, and I saw him mate with one of my does the first week he was here. There was foreplay with the second the week after that (both had kids by him a year ago) and although I didn't see the act, I saw her dripping (semen??) over the next, oh, say, 30-ish hours. My third doe and youngest at 14 months, was in heat just before he got here, and it's been a month. She seems to have a swollen vulva again, and appeared to be gooey back there today, but I couldn't get closer than about 5 feet, so not entirely sure. Any other signs to look for that the buck has been doing his business with the girls? Thanks! (Last year I never saw sex yet they both ended up pregnant. Added in the Nubian/Boer cross this past summer.)

2. ksalvagno

ksalvagno Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Many times you see no signs at all with the male living with the does.

3. Jessica84

Jessica84 Well-Known Member

Oct 27, 2011
    California
    Messy tails is what I keep a eye for, well other then the obvious of the buck breeding them. There’s really nothing else to watch for and even then the mucus on the tail isn’t always noticeable.

toth boer goats and SalteyLove like this.
  4. toth boer goats

toth boer goats Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Jul 20, 2008
    Corning California
    Yep, sometimes too, with older better rutted bucks, you will be a dark stain in the flank area on the doe when she has been bred, from the bucks stained smelly legs, where he pee's on them. ;)

5. dldolan

dldolan Member

Jan 19, 2017
    North Bay, California
    Thanks, all. I guess I'll just hope for the best, and keep him here the full 45 days that is recommended! He's not bad, as bucks go!

toth boer goats likes this.
  6. dldolan

dldolan Member

Jan 19, 2017
    North Bay, California
    BTW I tried to upload several files, but always get an error, even after I made them smaller.

7. dldolan

dldolan Member

Jan 19, 2017
    North Bay, California
    Sancho is 5 years and is a proven stud. We had kids by him Fall 2017. I think he rubbed the fur off one spot on the back of one of the girls! So, what about buying an EPT preganacy kit and sticking the little sticks under the girls pee? Would this work? If I check in, April, maybe?

8. NicoleV

NicoleV Well-Known Member

Dec 11, 2015
    SF Bay Area, CA
    Unfortunately, urine pregnancy tests don't work on goats! Blood is best, or watch that they don't come into heat again.

toth boer goats likes this.
  9. Dwarf Dad

Dwarf Dad Well-Known Member

The only way people are able to upload,as far as I know, is the "The Goat Spot" app. I installed it from Play Store onto phone and tablet. Apple may also have it.

10. toth boer goats

Jul 20, 2008
    Corning California
    Yep, the App for now.

Hopefully they are going to fix the pic error soon.

11. Trollmor

Trollmor Well-Known Member

Aug 19, 2011
    Goatless in Sweden
    We look forward to all the photos that are eager to get onto the Goat Spot after these technical problems! :)

My goat marriages were easy to see, even if I was not witnessing the actual act:

Before real heat the young bucklings practice, hunting the poor doe over the place. Since she is not yet in real heat, and in addition wants the Best Party, she is not interested in them, escaping and butting. This lasted among my goats around 4 days.

When I saw the grown up billy being interested, I knew it was serious, and I usually tried to help him separate the youngsters from the bride. (After some years, I began to slaughter the young bucklings by Midsummer, to increase the peace in the flock.) Then the doe was also interested, leaning towards the billy, sometimes even pointing (!) out to him, that "Look, I am HERE! See Me!!", by putting her horns into his side. This stage lasted about 4 hours.

And afterwards, oh, how sweet a honey moon they spent! She peacefully eating, he following her closely (some meters) to "protect his sperm". This lasted one or two days, depending on how many other does he had to attend to at the same time.

goatblessings likes this.
  12. dldolan

dldolan Member

Jan 19, 2017
    North Bay, California
    But I'm using a laptop? Download the app onto my laptop?

13. dldolan

dldolan Member

Jan 19, 2017
    North Bay, California
    This all sounds like what i've seen with the two older girls. The younger gal is still being flirty. Thanks so much!

Trollmor likes this.
  14. Dwarf Dad

Dwarf Dad Well-Known Member

No, don't think so.

15. toth boer goats

Jul 20, 2008
    Corning California
  16. Trollmor

Trollmor Well-Known Member

Aug 19, 2011
    Goatless in Sweden
    Next time you will make a mark in your calendar, count your 148 days or what your breed usually has, and Tally-Ho! you have a rough delivery date!

And, to be really thorough, you also count 21 days, to see if the heat returns. Here that is called to "run again".

GoofyGoat and toth boer goats like this.