Pic of horn damage

Discussion in 'Health & Wellness' started by Di, May 17, 2008.

1. Di

Di Crazy Goat Lady

Jan 29, 2008
    central PA
    Here's a pic of the damage.

[​IMG]

She's laying on my lap, will she go into shock?

2. goathappy

goathappy New Member

Oct 5, 2007
    Illinois
    Its pretty blurry but it doesn't seem that bad. She could go into shock if she loses enough blood, get the bleeding stopped(which I think you said you did) and just keep her calm, take her out to nurse on her mother now and then if she is still nursing.

You will have to cut that horn off of her, but not now of course :wink:

3. sweetgoats

sweetgoats Moderator

Oct 18, 2007
    Peyton CO.
    DI,
    I had a baby doe three years ago, get her horn knocked almost off. I had to take her to the vet and he pulled it off and bandaged it really well. The problem with it being exposed like that is the air gets to that nerve and that is very painful for them. It need to be wrapped and treated with medication. Now the way it was done the horn grew back and you can barely see which horn it was.

What they did was wrap it and the wrap went around her head and under her chin. It stayed there until it fell off on its own.

If it was my doe I would take her to the vet.

4. Di

Di Crazy Goat Lady

Jan 29, 2008
    central PA
    Thanks Lori, Vet will be here soon, I'm glad to know it'll probably grow back. I was wondering if it would, I've seen goats with only one horn and was wondering if she would be a "unihorn"!

5. sweetgoats

sweetgoats Moderator

Oct 18, 2007
    Peyton CO.
    Glad a vet is on the way. I also gave Arnica Montana for the pain and stress.

I know how hard it is wit hthe horns but since we have to have them what I do to my smaller goats is I take a piece of like PVC pipe to the horns that is just long enough so it will NOT go through the fence. i have done that and sooner or later the tape will fall off and then they do not realize it so they do not go thought the fence anymore. But if they do get another piece and do it all over again. They look really funny and they hate the pipe but hey it is better then this happening.

6. Di

Di Crazy Goat Lady

Jan 29, 2008
    central PA
    You're right, I've seen that before, I will do that as she's the only one that puts her hear through the fence. Thanks for reminding me.

7. sweetgoats

sweetgoats Moderator

Oct 18, 2007
    Peyton CO.
    DI, what did the vet do to this little girl? How is she doing?

8. Di

Di Crazy Goat Lady

Jan 29, 2008
    central PA
    Sorry, vet had serious emergency, since he didn't feel she's critical I'm taking her in tomorrow 11:00. She seems fine, eating well, staying away from the fence. I'll report back with pics after her appt. Thanks for interest & concern.