The Goat Spot Forum banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Premium Member
23,224 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Alot of you may or may not have figured out the "peg legged" or "posty" look a doe gets to her hind legs just hours befor delivery...alot of times this occurs even before the ligaments get mushy. I had one really good pic and thot I'd share it.

This is Binky around 5 hours before she delivered her twins...her udder had filled that same day.

This is Binky...not Posty

Hope you can see the difference. :)

·
Registered
254 Posts
Sorry, but I am not real sure what you are talking about. :)
I think of post legged as being straight when viewed from the side where the leg is not bent at the hock as it should be.
What I see in your picts is that the top pict her toes go forward and hocks straight back as they should, and the lower picture she is a little cow-hocked? Surely I am missing something, lol.

·
Premium Member
23,224 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
It is really difficult to describe but I will try.....looking at the rear wether a doe is "cow" hocked or not there is visible difference in the stance... the knees on the rear legs are "in line" with the elbows...not splayed out or too close to the body...and she'll move very stiff legged with the hind legs.

I guess it's easier for me to see because "I know her personally" lol

·
Premium Member
29,236 Posts
until I started to look for it with my does i never noticed it but there is a BIG difference in the way their legs are when "posty"

Good pictures Liz

I have taken TONS of pictures of their rears just to document their udder growth and because of that I was able to notice right off when Flicka went posty. Just knowing your doe and how she usually looks from the rear is important. If you are unsure about wether or not you will be able to tell when the time comes, take a picture somewhere during pregnancy or before and then when she is close keep referring back to that picture for reference to see any subtle changes.

·
Registered
254 Posts
ok, now I wanna know what to look for with my llama. We have two that are supposed to be due this month and I just keep going out to look for whatever, lol.

·
Registered
3,837 Posts
Here's a few photos of mine showing a doe in immenient delivery.

This is Contredanse DURING a contraction...

Faith...

See that strait legged look?

Reactions: tiff

·
Registered
1,511 Posts
awesome!!! This is why I love this forum . . . very, very, informational . . . you guys have helped me understand alot this past week . . . things that would have taken me years to learn . . . thanks!!! :applaud:

·
Registered
129 Posts
Wow, I see the posty look and I understand what to look for now. I love these forums, i have learned so much on here! Thank you guys! I check this alot since i have joined. Since i am new to having goat I have been on here almost daily learning more and more. My one who is close to kidding looks like the third pic from the top of the forum, preg wise. i wish she would stay still for me long enough to take pics but she wont. I am just waiting for when she finally gives birth.

·
Registered
61 Posts
so when a doe goes straight leg then they r almost near what happens if they dont have a undder will they still do that and do u know the reason being for this ,,so when u mean near does this mean hours or days...

1 - 20 of 31 Posts