Pic of "POSTY" doe for reference

Discussion in 'Kidding Koral' started by liz, May 16, 2008.

1. liz

liz Active Member

Oct 5, 2007
    Shelocta PA
    Alot of you may or may not have figured out the "peg legged" or "posty" look a doe gets to her hind legs just hours befor delivery...alot of times this occurs even before the ligaments get mushy. I had one really good pic and thot I'd share it.

This is Binky around 5 hours before she delivered her twins...her udder had filled that same day.
    [​IMG]

This is Binky...not Posty
    [​IMG]

Hope you can see the difference. :)

2. jBlaze

jBlaze New Member

Oct 9, 2007
    Oregon
    Sorry, but I am not real sure what you are talking about. :)
    I think of post legged as being straight when viewed from the side where the leg is not bent at the hock as it should be.
    What I see in your picts is that the top pict her toes go forward and hocks straight back as they should, and the lower picture she is a little cow-hocked? Surely I am missing something, lol.

3. liz

liz Active Member

Oct 5, 2007
    Shelocta PA
    It is really difficult to describe but I will try.....looking at the rear wether a doe is "cow" hocked or not there is visible difference in the stance... the knees on the rear legs are "in line" with the elbows...not splayed out or too close to the body...and she'll move very stiff legged with the hind legs.

I guess it's easier for me to see because "I know her personally" lol

4. StaceyRosado

StaceyRosado Administrator Staff Member Supporting Member

Oct 4, 2007
    NJ
    until I started to look for it with my does i never noticed it but there is a BIG difference in the way their legs are when "posty"

Good pictures Liz

I have taken TONS of pictures of their rears just to document their udder growth and because of that I was able to notice right off when Flicka went posty. Just knowing your doe and how she usually looks from the rear is important. If you are unsure about wether or not you will be able to tell when the time comes, take a picture somewhere during pregnancy or before and then when she is close keep referring back to that picture for reference to see any subtle changes.

5. jBlaze

jBlaze New Member

Oct 9, 2007
    Oregon
    ok, now I wanna know what to look for with my llama. We have two that are supposed to be due this month and I just keep going out to look for whatever, lol.

6. Sweet Gum Minis

Sweet Gum Minis New Member

Oct 6, 2007
    Easley, SC
    Here's a few photos of mine showing a doe in immenient delivery.

This is Contredanse DURING a contraction...
    [​IMG]

Faith...
    [​IMG]

See that strait legged look?

tiff likes this.
  7. StaceyRosado

Oct 4, 2007
    NJ
  8. capriola-nd

capriola-nd New Member

Jul 6, 2008
    Northwest Oregon
    That's really helpful to know. I always just go by the ligaments and how they are acting but this is good too. Great pics.

9. Sonrise Farm

Sonrise Farm New Member

Sep 18, 2008
    Southwick, Idaho
    awesome!!! This is why I love this forum . . . very, very, informational . . . you guys have helped me understand alot this past week . . . things that would have taken me years to learn . . . thanks!!! :applaud:

tiff likes this.
  10. toth boer goats

toth boer goats Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Jul 20, 2008
    Corning California
    excellent pics of posty.......................you can really see the difference................... :)

11. nancy d

nancy d Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Oct 5, 2007
    near Seattle
    Thanks for the excellent pics! That one doe doesn't look cow hocked to me at all!

12. liz

liz Active Member

Oct 5, 2007
    Shelocta PA
    Thank you nancy...I do have cow hocked does and Binky is not one of them..lol

13. shanzone2001

shanzone2001 New Member

Nov 8, 2009
    Is Binky pregnant too and just not as far along? My goat looks like the second one and I am wondering if she is pregnant or not!
    Thanks!

14. Well, I sure wish someone would tell Jordan she has been like that for two days. LOL :hair:

15. citylights

citylights New Member

Jul 3, 2009
    Southern California
    Wow, those pics are great...this is new to me. I've watched for the ligament-wiggle, the last-minute udder fill, etc; but these pics are great! Thanks!

16. jenparrish24

jenparrish24 New Member

Nov 24, 2009
    Illinois
    Wow, I see the posty look and I understand what to look for now. I love these forums, i have learned so much on here! Thank you guys! I check this alot since i have joined. Since i am new to having goat I have been on here almost daily learning more and more. My one who is close to kidding looks like the third pic from the top of the forum, preg wise. i wish she would stay still for me long enough to take pics but she wont. I am just waiting for when she finally gives birth.

17. logansmommy7

logansmommy7 New Member

Nov 11, 2009
    Shenandoah Valley, VA
    I see that! Good reference pics, I think. I also have a question-I always hear people talking about ligaments that go away when time for kidding-I'm not sure what to look for there...pictures would be great!

18. StaceyRosado

Oct 4, 2007
    NJ
  19. carmen escamilla

carmen escamilla New Member

Jul 23, 2010
    texas
    so when a doe goes straight leg then they r almost near what happens if they dont have a undder will they still do that and do u know the reason being for this ,,so when u mean near does this mean hours or days...