Picky Does!

Discussion in 'Goat Management' started by ProctorHillFarm, Oct 1, 2009.

1. ProctorHillFarm

ProctorHillFarm New Member

I have never had a doe discriminate between bucks- until this year!
    Ive had two or three does now that were not at all interested in certain bucks
    One doe I couldnt even hold to stand for the buck I had planned on breeding her too, but I picked a different buck and put him in the pen with her and she let him breed her multiple times.
    Today I took one of our junior bucks into the doe pen to see if any of my does I already bred were coming back into heat- and this doe was all over him wagging her tail, it took everything i had to drag him out of there without her in tow, she loved him.
    So I said well I may as well breed you- I went and got the buck I WANTED to breed her too, and she wanted no part of him. I was able to hold her- and he succesfully bred her, but what the heck?

2. sweetgoats

sweetgoats Moderator

Oct 18, 2007
    Peyton CO.
    OH I had that problem this year. I had a doe with a buck I wanted her bred to. She beat the snot of of him and no way was he going to get to her. I was getting worried about him so I put the other buck in with her, (the one she liked), and sure enough she stood there for him and was bred in less the 5 minutes.

I guess it is like arranging a marriage, Poor girls. :ROFL:

3. ProctorHillFarm

SO funny!

I left my doe in with the buck today to see if he can win her over- probably not though, poor guy.
    I will just hold her for him later and he can try again I guess :scratch:

4. redneck_acres

redneck_acres New Member

Oct 17, 2007
    Idaho
    Sounds like the only way you'll get that breeding you want is if you A.I. to that buck.

5. ProctorHillFarm

Oh no- she was definately bred while I held her, so unless a doe can keep herself from ovulating too, she should be bred :)

6. toth boer goats

toth boer goats Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Jul 20, 2008
    Corning California
    That is funny... :ROFL:

Maybe... the buck ....that she wants ....stinks more or is older and more mature....she wants a real man ..LOL :wink:

7. sparks879

sparks879 New Member

Glad you got her bred! I have only had one doe be picky, a nubian. she didnt breed the three years i had her. I finally sold her and told the lady what was up. Navajo had triplet bucks that year!
    I have had horses be picky, my mare jewel, was in flaming heat, triped to breed her to an appy stud, which is the horse i wanted her bred to. She wanted the percheron gelding. wanted nothing to do with the appy.
    beth

8. ProctorHillFarm

In this case she wanted the junior buck! She wanted nothing to do with the stinky hairy boy! :ROFL:

If she re-cycles and doesnt stand for poor Roulette next cycle- I guess she wins and I will breed her to the junior buck she likes Oh so much :roll:

9. toth boer goats

Jul 20, 2008
    Corning California
    wow.... she is picky .....that is very frustrating..... :hug:
    I hope you get her bred to ...the buck you want ...and not the one she wants... :wink: :hug:

10. Mully

Mully New Member

Jun 23, 2009
    Mt Ulla , NC
    She is a female and has has to have several choices. :slapfloor:

11. ProctorHillFarm

HAH- when I got there tonight she was back to her tail wagging in love self- he must have spent the day sweet talking her, and she's fallen for him :love:

12. redneck_acres

redneck_acres New Member

Oct 17, 2007
    Idaho
    Oh I see.....She just wanted the younger man;-).

13. SDK

SDK New Member

Jun 26, 2008
    Yucaipa ca
    lol it's the rare cougar -goat.... luring in the young naive handsome men

14. toth boer goats

Jul 20, 2008
    Corning California
    hehe....you all... are so funny.... :ROFL:

15. Ariel301

Ariel301 Guest

Oct 12, 2009
    Hahaha that is funny!

One of my does was in heat today and in with the buck; he did breed her twice, but she showed little real interest in him. He pinned her in a corner of the pen to breed her. And this evening the same doe was all over the five month old wether we're saving for butchering in a few months. She was flirting with him big time, and he was trying his best, but he's not even tall enough to mount her even if he could do anything about it. There's no accounting for their taste in males lol...

I've heard of stallions being picky too. I majored in equine science in college, and there were stallions at the university's research center because they had issues. There was one there who would only breed mares that were the same color as his mother. Well, they say men pick wives who are like their mothers lol...

16. ProctorHillFarm

Very funny- luckily I deal with warmbloods- and there isnt anyone that would risk their high dollar stallions or mares for live cover-so it is ALL Artificial insemination- so the stallion still gets his fun I guess with the AV, but the poor mares dont know what hit them they usually have a nice dose of tranq and wake up, voila, pregnant! :ROFL:

17. Ariel301

Ariel301 Guest

Oct 12, 2009
    Yeah, we handled a lot of AI stallions there too. There was this one little 14 hand Arab...it took four men with stud chains to lead him into the breeding shed, and they had the dummy in there as well as a teaser mare in a chute next to it, but he didn't even look at the live mare. He nearly slipped and fell in his hurry to get to the dummy! The poor mare was just going crazy trying to get his attention.