Picky Saanen Doe

Discussion in 'Health & Wellness' started by LuvMyNigies, Aug 12, 2020.

1. LuvMyNigies

LuvMyNigies Active Member

Sep 14, 2013
    Hey all!

I have a ff Saanen doe that was unexpectedly bred and kidded with a single buckling at the end of June.

She was on pasture and in great condition before kidding. After she kidded, I started giving my regular feed mixture as much as she wants (usually a couple cups) once a day...
    -16% Sweet Feed
    -12% Mare and Foal
    -Crimped Oats
    -Beet Pulp dressing

She also gets free choice Sweetlix Meatmaker minerals and grass hay and is on good quality pasture/forage 24/7.

Her kid is growing great, but she’s really struggling to maintain her weight. And then out of the blue she started refusing her feed a couple days ago.
    She acts hungry and will eat hay and alfalfa pellets free choice (and dog food ‍♀️), but just picks at her feed. I added some Tucker Mills Starter Booster Pellets, and she ate a couple mouthfuls and then dumped out her bowl. Ugh.

Does anyone have any suggestions for what the issues are? Any problems with my feed mix? I’ve been feeding it for several years and my other does eat it well, but I’m stumped with her.

MadHouse, Goataddict and Iluvlilly! like this.
  2. Moers kiko boars

Moers kiko boars Well-Known Member

Apr 22, 2018
    Oklahoma
    Have you done a fecal.on her? Whats her famacha score? Temperauture? Have you listened for any rumen sounds?

3. LuvMyNigies

LuvMyNigies Active Member

Sep 14, 2013
    I have not done a fecal on her, but I've been keeping an eye on her FAMACHA, and her eyelids are still bright red. I can try for a temp tomorrow and listen for rumen sounds, but she seems to be doing fine otherwise. In fact, there was a little dog food spilled next to her feed bucket, and THAT she gobbled up, but is not really interested in her actual feed. I've tried adding a bit of powdered probios and that doesn't really seem to make a difference. I've tried separating the feeds to see if there was one thing she preferred more than the others, but the only thing she was really partial to was the Beet Pulp.

Moers kiko boars likes this.
  4. Ashlynn

Ashlynn Well-Known Member

Sep 30, 2017
    Lutz, FL
    Vitamin B-complex gel can sometimes help with appetite. Is she under any stress like weather changes or her kid being away from her for somewhat long periods of time? Maybe grind up extra alfalfa pellets and sprinkle it on the food so it smells like the pellets that she likes, but she eats mostly the feed.

5. happybleats

happybleats Well-Known Member

Sep 12, 2010
    Gustine Texas
    I would suggest moving the dog food to a place she can not get it. It is super bad for her. Has animal byproducts and ruminates should never be fed animal byproducts. B cimplex wouldn't hurt and I agree to get a fecal panel done..good to know whats happening there.

6. Goat Whisperer

Goat Whisperer Well-Known Member

Dec 3, 2018
    I agree, get a fecal done.

I'd also offer some baking soda in case she is trying to get acidosis.

MadHouse and Moers kiko boars like this.
  7. toth boer goats

toth boer goats Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Jul 20, 2008
    Corning California
    A fecal is wise for cocci and worms.

MadHouse and Moers kiko boars like this.