Pics of how to castrate correctly and incorrectly

Discussion in 'Health & Wellness' started by keren, Nov 16, 2008.

1. keren

keren owned by goats

Oct 26, 2008
    Australia
    Pretty basic, but I thought any beginners might like this.

Castrating band applied correctly with two testicles in band

[​IMG]

Castrating band applied incorrectly - only one testicle in band, second testicle has slipped up into the abdomen. Notice the difference in shape.

[​IMG]

2. toth boer goats

toth boer goats Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Jul 20, 2008
    Corning California
    no matter how you look at it .........OUCH...

3. AlaskaBoers

AlaskaBoers New Member

May 6, 2008
    Wasilla Alaska
    yeah, thanks for the pics! how old is that buck/wether? he seems pretty old for bands. -just wondering, not trying to be rude or anything.

4. SDK

SDK New Member

Jun 26, 2008
    Yucaipa ca
    yea ....mucho ouchage..

but its better than flooding the market with bucks.

5. lesserweevil

lesserweevil New Member

Oct 5, 2007
    yet more evidence for me to think never ever ever to band a goat over about a week of age...

poor goateh :( as toth boer goats said - OUCH !

LW

6. goatnutty

goatnutty Active Member

Oct 9, 2007
    South East,IN
    True LOL!. Thank you for the pics they will be helpful for beginers.

7. keren

keren owned by goats

Oct 26, 2008
    Australia
    Its actually two wethers we were sold to put into our feedlot ... didnt realise they had banded one incorrectly until it was too late. They were just weaned, about 3 mths old. Both were slaughtered about 5 mths old, no buck taint in the incorrectly marked one.

LW - I do understand your view ... but personally I like to let them grow out, let the urethra mature ... have had less problems with UC that way. Considering our wethers go onto a feedlot, high grain diet, more prone to UC etc. Also with any that I might sell as harness wethers, well they are long term animals, so the risk of UC is even higher.

8. ThreeHavens

ThreeHavens 7 does - 2 bucks - 1 wether

Oct 20, 2011
    New Jersey
    I know this is an old thread, but thanks for the pics! Very helpful.

9. keren

keren owned by goats

Oct 26, 2008
    Australia
    Interesting how things change three havens, i now prefer to band at a week or two LOL

10. ThreeHavens

Oct 20, 2011
    New Jersey
    Haha! Really? Has it made them any more prone to UC in your experience?

11. keren

keren owned by goats

Oct 26, 2008
    Australia
    Ha ha, nope no problems whatsoever with UC! I now after a lot more researxh subsctibe to the theory that UC is much.more a factor.of incorrect diet than early castration. I think the main difference is that i.used.to.have paddock goats boers and angoras when these photos were taken so the kids really werent handled till weaning, now i have dairies and they are bottle.fed so.i.find it.much.easier.to do all their procedures within the first two weeks since im.handlimg them.every day anyway

12. ThreeHavens

Oct 20, 2011
    New Jersey
    VERY good to know, thanks! Wow, this is really a constant learning process, isn't it? :p

13. MsScamp

MsScamp New Member

Jan 31, 2010
    Wyoming
    What about growth? Any differences there?

14. Texaslass

Texaslass New Member

May 15, 2013
    I know, totally! [​IMG] [​IMG]Of course, I'm just now really getting into it, but it feels like I ought to know more after having had goats this long!

15. keren

keren owned by goats

Oct 26, 2008
    Australia
    Not that ive seen in my dairy boys goat crazy.

And danielle, yep it sure is :)

16. MsScamp

MsScamp New Member

Jan 31, 2010
    Wyoming
    Thanks Keren!

17. rkendrick

rkendrick New Member

May 30, 2013
    Gangrene

I had the vet wether my year old buck, Lucky. Man alive, does he stink. I looked all over the pasture wondering where the dead rabbit was. It smells like something died which is what is happening. I had the others wethered as bucklings and never had this necrotic flesh smell before. Anybody have any suggestions? I'm calling the vet tomorrow. Seems like Lucky could use a dose of antibiotic. He did have a tetnus shot. I was thinking of putting on some sort of wound dressing. Seems like I should do something. I'm worried about the toxins of the dying tissue enteringhis bloodstream. :confused:

18. Dani-1995

Dani-1995 Active Member

Mar 10, 2011
    Greenville, NC
    He needs an antibiotic! Anytime a banding area is smelly the goat really needs an antibiotic. You can use penicillin or la 200. Also spray on some iodine... It will help dry it out and fall off quicker while killing bacteria.

19. rkendrick

rkendrick New Member

May 30, 2013
    Thank you Dani! I just did it!