pics of my geese, and the rescues

Discussion in 'Photogenic' started by SDK, Jan 30, 2010.

1. SDK

SDK New Member

Jun 26, 2008
    Yucaipa ca
    the other day i got a call from our local feedstore, they know i have a soft spot for geese, they had a guy who discovered his mother in law was hoarding animals at 82. She is in the hospital and he went to feed her dog for her and discovered a yard full of chickens , cats, geese, ducks, rabbits and other things. so of course i took all the geese and the two ducks that were left. total of 5 animals all together.

so after rounding them up they came to goatland.. one gander will be staying, and then the other two and the two ducks will be going to live with my friends up in tollhouse.

so here's what i got

2. Idahodreamer

Idahodreamer Senior Member

My Grandma's geese were nasty creatures---I got myself pecked and chased too many times to count. . . I like the first one best though--looks wise.
    Is that an egg in the last pic?

3. heathersboers

heathersboers New Member

Sep 5, 2008
    Wilson N.C.
    I wonder if his MIL will want them back....I would be so upset if someone gave away my pets....:( They are pretty!!!

4. SDK

SDK New Member

Jun 26, 2008
    Yucaipa ca
    its a golfball... panic's imaginary egg.

the MIL is literally bedridden and deathly sick in the hospital.. i dont think they'll let her have them back, i mean the poor things are thin and filthy.. they went a while without food, since teh SIL and daughter had no idea the animals existed.

anyone know how to tell geese apart? like i've heard only males hiss, but that's a total lie, my three pilgrims are all girls and they hiss..

but i've heard that the males have high pitched shrill cries whereas the females honk. and i also heard males have bigger knobs than the females ( the pilgrim girls and the pomeranian girl are breeds without knobs)

5. Idahodreamer

Idahodreamer Senior Member

As far as I remember the males have the bump on their nose . . .but it's been 5 years since we last had geese on our property.

6. DebMc

DebMc Member

Dec 10, 2009
    >anyone know how to tell geese apart<

Aside from vent sexing or egg laying and breeds that are sexully dimorphic, no. However, I've found that from an early age ganders tend to be more vocal and generally have higher pitched shrieks.

( *)< "Huh-onnK!" <(# )

Kudos to you for helping out.

Deb Mc

7. SDK

SDK New Member

Jun 26, 2008
    Yucaipa ca
    forgot to add that the white guy has beautiful blue eyes :)he's gorgeous.. but a bit of an A$$....

the chiniese geese both sexes have knobs, but the males are larger?? the white one sounds like a high pitch raspy wheee-onk.. where as my 3 pilgrim girls are whonk whonk

8. greatcashmeres

greatcashmeres New Member

Jul 13, 2008
    Maine
    He's very sharp looking in his pic, and blue eyes to boot, doesn't get much better! Pain fits right in with your girls, is she just a little darker, or is that just the shadow? You are all doing a wonderful thing giving them homes! :applaud:

9. SDK

SDK New Member

Jun 26, 2008
    Yucaipa ca
    he is a pretty guy.. nice carriage about him too, hopefully i'll get some cute hybridized goslings. since pilgrims are a meat breed and chinese are the egg breed (100-200 egg a year)

pandora is my new girl, but yes that's a shadow on pain.. she's the "goose princess" and is very much my goose friend.

10. kelebek

kelebek New Member

Oct 5, 2007
    South Texas
    to bad your not closer - I would have taken the ducks for you :)

11. SDK

SDK New Member

Jun 26, 2008
    Yucaipa ca
    i hate most birds.. couldnt stand my sisters ducks in HS, and i hated my chickens.. so they left, but i LOVE LOVE LOVE Geese :) fantastic creatures..

I just felt so bad for these poor little ducks i had to take them.. now i have to home them!