Pics of new Nigerian

Discussion in 'Mini Mania' started by kelebek, Oct 26, 2007.

1. kelebek

kelebek New Member

Oct 5, 2007
    South Texas
    Ok, so here is introducing...........JOE DIRT!!!! HAHAHA!

This pic does not do the mullet justice, but it is the only one of 18 that actually can out!

Hope you like him!

Allison

2. StaceyRosado

StaceyRosado Administrator Staff Member Supporting Member

Oct 4, 2007
    NJ
    oh my goodness he is BEAUTIFUL!!! Oh I LOVE HIM!!!!

is he a buck or a wether? if a buck he will throw some beautiful kids I am sure

3. cute kids

cute kids Guest

Oct 5, 2007
    he's wonderful. he looks just like my twin ng does....minus the mullet. i have an english cocker spaniel who has a mullet like that-----i adore it. so, 'joe dirt' was a good catch, imo. enjoy!!!!
    how many goatees do you have NOW?????? your place must have a magnetic field underneath..... :roll: :roll: :roll:

4. laststraw

laststraw Guest

Oct 6, 2007
    Oh, Allison! He's gorgeous!! I love his colors.. are you breeding him?

5. marie_martin

marie_martin Member

Oct 22, 2007
    Grenada, Mississippi
    Wether?

I hope he is not a wether, if so, someone did not do that job right? He still has his equipment, ha ha. Very nice looking guy.

Marie

6. kelebek

kelebek New Member

Oct 5, 2007
    South Texas
    Yes, he still has his equiptment!! LOL!

I am cautious in saying this, but he was "given" to a friend of mine with a doe that she purchased. The breeder gives a free wether with every purchase, however this little man was not wethered yet. Well, she gave him to me because she knew that I really wanted a loud colored buck. However, I left a message for the breeder to try and get his papers, and have not heard back. I am scared that this may cause some issues and I am worried about how to proceed.

But, I love him, and even if I can not get his papers I would still like to breed him. He is a very strong and great looking guy!

I know what ranch he comes from, but unsure of his lineage, which kind of scares me, as I have another ND coming from the same place.

AHHH - Stuck! What do I do???

7. moonspinner

moonspinner Member

Oct 5, 2007
    western NY
    If I have the scenario right, this could be a problem. I know if I were the breeder of this buck and I had given it as a wether companion to a sold doe and he was not only not castrated, but given to someone else as an intact buck who the new owner was intending to breed, I'd be rather miffed. Not at you but the buyer. For whatever reason, the breeder wanted that buck wethered, apparently did not receive any payment for him and would have every reason to not only have an issue with the buyer, but of course refuse you his registration. As I see it, the buyer breeched the agreement. And the breeder should have wethered him before she let him go.

8. marie_martin

marie_martin Member

Oct 22, 2007
    Grenada, Mississippi
    Hmmmm

That is a tough one. But if she gave the buck away, knowing he had not been wethered, then she can't be mad for you breeding him. But she may have had an agreement that there would be no papers provided since he was suppose to be wethered and was not. That way his babies could not be registered? I would just talk to the previous owner and explain the situation and see what they tell you. That is all you can do. If there was no real reason for them to not want this buck to reproduce, like obvious faults, then maybe you can work something out? Good luck. I sure hope it works out for you.

Marie

9. kelebek

kelebek New Member

Oct 5, 2007
    South Texas
    I agree, and I feel so caught in the middle. I told the lady that I got him from that I would pay for the papers or if they were alot, that we would need to talk about mabey splitting the fees. I am just a bit upset, as I feel that I am stuck in the middle.

I left a message 2 nights ago, asking the breeder to please call me, did not explain everything on the phone message, but asked her to call me asap.

I have not heard anything. I would be more then happy to give him back if that is what she would want, but I just want to be honest!!!!! I feel like I am so stuck!

10. kelebek

kelebek New Member

Oct 5, 2007
    South Texas
    ok, so I am going out of town until Sunday afternoon and I will MISS YOU ALL!!!!

Allison

11. marie_martin

marie_martin Member

Oct 22, 2007
    Grenada, Mississippi
    Have fun!!

Keep us updated!! Good luck. If you are honest that is the best thing to do.

Marie

12. liz

liz Well-Known Member

Oct 5, 2007
    Shelocta PA
    I LOVE HIM!!! His coloring is beautiful and the mullet look must be something all these young nigi bucks get...and grow out of. My Chief has the same "do". How old is "Joe"?

13. redneck_acres

redneck_acres New Member

Oct 17, 2007
    Idaho
    That sure is a handsome fellow, it would be nice if he could get registered. Then you could bring him or his kids to our Nigerian show in May:).

14. moonspinner

moonspinner Member

Oct 5, 2007
    western NY
    Did you call your friend? That would be the first order of biz for me, as this matter should really be resolved first between her and the breeder. I don't get why the breeder didn't get back to you. Maybe she's wanting to contact your friend first? BTW, does your friend have a companion for the doe? Isn't that why she took him?
    If you really want this guy as a buck and the breeder agrees to that, then I think you should definitely offer to pay her a reasonable fee and thereby get his paper. He looks pretty good from that picture, hopefully enough to make a nice sire. But we still don't know the circumstances - if the breeder tried to sell him intact and couldn't, if he was supposed to be a wether from the getgo, maybe there is some problem with him that precludes his being sold as a buck - like double teat or something. I still don't understand why the breeder didn't wether him before letting him go.
    I think you need to get the facts, and hopefully all will fall your way.
    Please keep us posted.

15. kelebek

kelebek New Member

Oct 5, 2007
    South Texas
    Ok, so here is the update of Joe Dirt!

The breeder contacted me on Friday, as I was heading out of town. Like I explained to her, I feel really bad about all of this and that I would be happy to have him wethered if that is really what she wanted. She said that she had him scheduled for wethering, but had not had it done yet, as she was going to have it done at the vet's office. She said the reason that she was going to wether, was because at the time, he looked to have a bit of a short neck for her liking, but if I wanted to use him as a pet stud buck that was fine. She said that if I would like his papers, I would have to drive him to her for her to look at and if approved then we could talk about the price. I would have to drive about 2 1/2 hours.

I was also told that he had full vaccinations when I got him and that he had been testedfor CAE. once talking to the breeder, I found out that she has a closed herd, but has not tested in 5 years. And that the vaccinations were not complete, as she was only able to give 1 vaccine, as she was having problems with abcessess with the vaccinations. Which, I had one in one of my goats also.

I am just not sure if I really want to waste the time to rive all the way to her, not knowing if I will get the papers, and then have to pay full price, when if I was going to purchase a buck - I would have liked to pick them out myself for exactly what I wanted.

I am so torn.

I am thinking about just selling him off and going from there. What would you all do??? I really would like to breed registered goats. But he is beautiful!

16. ksacres

ksacres New Member

Oct 30, 2007
    San Antonio Texas
    I don't know much about Nigerians, but one thing I have learned about goats in general, is that you should never breed for color alone. Yes, he's beautiful, but you don't know anything about his dam or sire, or what could be hiding in there. Also, if you want registered goats, start with registered goats. Otherwise you may end up selling off stock you are attached to to make room for the registered stock you wanted in the begining. He was given to you, so you don't need to charge an arm and a leg for him. Sell him to someone who is just breeding pet quality minis and doesn't care about milk or confirmation or what have you. What I'm really saying here is that if the breeder didn't think he was stud quality, there was probably a reason for it. I really don't think a "short neck" in a buck was the only thing she was thinking of when she decided he didn't cut the mustard as a herd sire. But not matter what you decide, good luck with him! :)

17. Muddy Creek Farm

Muddy Creek Farm New Member

Oct 5, 2007
    Keokuk, Iowa
    What farm is he from? He is pretty, and I agree with most of what others are saying.

18. hornless

hornless New Member

Oct 5, 2007
    Gotta agree here. Great post!

19. StaceyRosado

StaceyRosado Administrator Staff Member Supporting Member

Oct 4, 2007
    NJ
    do you have any goats you don't mind getting registerd kids out of for a year?

try breeing her to him and then see the offspring, let her see his kids an dthen decide from ther if the kids warrent the papers being passed on.

just a suggestion.

hard decision as bucks do pass on certain trates the the breeders name would be on that buck

20. kelebek

kelebek New Member

Oct 5, 2007
    South Texas
    Since all of my does are unregistered, I think that I may keep him as a stud for them. And not worry about the papers. The only one that I have that is registered is my Buck, Gabriel.

Unfortunately all my does were bred before I got him, so I won't have babies from him unitl next year unless I get another doe.

I have emailed her to let her know that I was willing to send some pics of him and that way she could see if he was even worth taking him 2 1/2 hours for papers, but I have not heard back from her. I am just not going to worry about it.

Thanks All!