The Goat Spot Forum banner

1 - 20 of 47 Posts

·
Registered
4,120 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
@Junipurr sells aprons for bucks and rams. Those of you who use them, would you please share your pictures and / or experiences (in words)?

Thanks!

·
Registered
4,120 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I am very much looking forward to your coming photos and stories! What does your buck think of it? Mine were not so fond of them... "Hey! What are you doing? Take that stupid thing off me! These girls are NICE!!"

Other members? I know I have seen pictures here, but for now I do not re-find them.

As usual ... (blush)

·
Registered
1,517 Posts
I have 3 bucks and all of them have an apron. The security strap is a must! My first apron didn't have one and that buck gets it off all the time! He even lost it(It's a black one so I suggest a bright colored one) and bred a yearling I hadn't planned on breeding. I do find that my bucks slip their front legs behind the barrel strap and walk with the shield in front of their legs but I don't check them daily like I should.

·
Registered
4,120 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
slip a leg through a strap, eh? Are they tight enough? Or shall we prefer a strap diagonally on the sides of the neck?

·
Registered
3,658 Posts
I haven't had one slip a leg through, although I did have them slip off the back end a couple of times. A string tied from the apron to the goat's collar fixed that problem. I have photos somewhere but it would be hard to find them.

·
Registered
4,120 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Yeah, but not quite that many straps, eh? I had a strap forwards, and then two additional from the withers (?) to under the neck, supporting the breast (?) strap.

(Apologies for not finding the right words!)

·
Registered
4,120 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Okay, very nice drawing! My aprons were secured with a not forked strap from the "saddle" to the center of the breast collar, on both sides. Nothing more. So far, I have not been able to understand how a leg can possibly pass inside that belly girth.

Before I started to secure the aprons, my bucks often put the apron on their back while trying to convince a lady. (doh)

·
Registered
11,199 Posts
The apron has been on my 15 months old buck for nearly a week now. I have not installed the extra security strap thing. It is staying in place but I do snug it up every 2-3 days.

The downfall is he is acting a bit full of himself now that he is living with all the does and his four freezer buck friends are no longer around to challenge him. He has begun challenging equipment (so far, the gate and my Kubota UTV) but not me yet. However, I am seeing that he may choose to challenge me soon as he has begun crossing in front of me, turning his head, and a bit of prancing. He will move back to his own pen & pasture when this year's buckling are weaned and I will keep a close eye on his behavior to put him in his place.

I'll let you know if any does turn up pregnant in 5 months to see how the apron did!

·
Registered
11,199 Posts
All is still well with my buck's apron. I still have not needed to install the security strap. I need to get a photo to share! I do think he is burning more calories and losing some weight being with the doe herd. Right now, I don't think the does are overly harassed by his presence but it's difficult to assess. I'm sure August when rut begins will be a different story (he'll be moved out by then). It has been a great solution for a temporary situation, but I don't think I would use it year-round. Not through any fault of the apron - just from a management perspective!

·
Registered
6,063 Posts
I just got a buck apron for Merlin and the extra small is too big. He a 21/2 month old ND even with the extra strap it falls off or he gets tangled. He is really small though. So it's a onesie that's been cut to hang in the front in a 6-9 month old size. I can't wait until it fits though so he can go play with the herd. In this picture, he's wondering who the handsome devil in the oven is lol.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
4,675 Posts
I just got a buck apron for Merlin and the extra small is too big. He a 21/2 month old ND even with the extra strap it falls off or he gets tangled. He is really small though. So it's a onesie that's been cut to hang in the front in a 6-9 month old size. I can't wait until it fits though so he can go play with the herd. In this picture, he's wondering who the handsome devil in the oven is lol.
Awwww dang! I was hopin it would fit him. But i like your apron. (blush)

1 - 20 of 47 Posts