Pictures and some questions about kids

Discussion in 'Kidding Koral' started by Epona142, Jul 25, 2008.

1. Epona142

Epona142 The farm that Hope began

May 25, 2008
    Madisonville, TX
    Hello again

I know you must certainly be tired of all my pictures and questions, but I can't resist learning all I can from you all!

So far, we're pretty sure Hope (Nigerian) is pregnant (mostly pretty sure cause of you guys! :greengrin: ) and I had some questions about after she kids.

I really want to milk her, but I also don't want to bottle raise the babies. I've read that I could seperate at night, and let them out with her after a morning milking. What age should I start seperating them? Should I milk her out once or twice a day beforehand to make sure she's using full capacity, or leave it up to the kids. Should I milk out in the evenings even after the kids have spent the day with her, before putting them up for the night? I really want to keep any doelings she has, so how can I go about weaning them? I am able to seperate them at night, but it's too small a space for long term seperation. I've read about taping the tears, what tape should be used for this and are there any other things I should know about it?

My goodness, that's alot of questions! I really want to do things properly, as when I first got her, I was milking once a day into a pickle jar! But it was a great learning experience. The pickle jar will be retired thank goodness! I'm going to order one of those lovely milking pails from Hoegger's Goat Supply, and we're building a milk stand tomorrow.

Without further adu, some pictures.

Is there any way to tell how far along she is? She may not look pregnant to you in the pictures, but its obvious to me she's gotten much "deeper" and has gained A LOT of weight since we got her.

[​IMG]

No post could be complete without a pooch pic, right? :wink: It looks like there's something on one of her teats, but there isn't, dunno what that is in the picture.

[​IMG]

She stretches like this alot..normal? Also, her tail. She ALWAYS holds it like that. Is she just weird?

[​IMG]

Thank you so much for your patience and for sharing all your knowledge with me! :hug:

2. StaceyRosado

StaceyRosado Administrator Staff Member Supporting Member

Oct 4, 2007
    NJ
    how long ago did you get her and when was the last time she was exposed to a buck? that will give you an aprox for how far along she is.

You really have to play the separating milking thing by ear. There is no set way to do it. Just what works natural for you and the goat/s.

Once i separate I would milk out the doe. In the morning I would milk her 3/4 or more of the way out and then leave the rest for the kids.

There is specific teat tape - look for it from heoggars.

It is very hard to break that mother daugher bond especially if you keep her in milk.

3. capriola-nd

capriola-nd New Member

Jul 6, 2008
    Northwest Oregon
    I'll try to help answer some of your questions. . . . we separate kids at night no sooner than 3 weeks of age.

If you do milk her more than once a day, you should be able to get more milk from her, it just depends on what you would like to do. For us, we only milk once a day w/ babies on the momma because you do not get much from the evening milking, so it's not really worth it to us, but we're different than others.

Sometimes, we do not wean doe kids until they are 3-4 months if we feel it is beneficial to their growth and development. For the most part, momma will do a lot of the weaning (hopefully) there are some very tolerant does. Not quite sure how I would go about that without a more secure set-up. Maybe, time and money provided, you could work on better securing them away from momma? Not quite sure on that one. . . . other people's ideas would probably be much better than mine.

She could be about 2 months along, more or less, it's hard to tell without a "before" picture. :) When did the buck visit?

Hope that helps some, if only just a little. . . .

4. capriola-nd

capriola-nd New Member

Jul 6, 2008
    Northwest Oregon
    Oh, the stretching thing. . . . some of our does do that a lot when they are pregnant, more so than when not bred. I notice them do that more often when in heat too. It could just be how she acts when pregnant. . . .

5. Epona142

May 25, 2008
    Madisonville, TX
    Well, I got her in early May.

She was kept with a buck in the same field, and the lady said she had recently sold her last kids. The lady also said she was due sometime between August and October. With my luck it'll be all the way to the end of October!

I hadn't thought about the whole mother-daughter bond, eep. Maybe I will buy some welded wire panels so I can set up a separate place for them for a few months? Or maybe I'll just terribly unlucky and have little bucklings. An excuse to buy some new goats, right? :greengrin:

6. Suellen

Suellen New Member

Mar 9, 2008
    Paragonah, Utah
    Very cute! I love seeing pictures of other peoples goats!

Suellen

7. liz

liz Active Member

Oct 5, 2007
    Shelocta PA
    She's a pretty little nigi! The stretching is something I've seen my preggy girls do alot...they don't do it often at all when they're open. She looks really good to otherwise I'd be worried with a back to back breeding/kidding. As far as the bottle feeding...I don't know, all my babies are dam raised.

8. Epona142

May 25, 2008
    Madisonville, TX
    Thank you for telling me she looks good!

She was terribly skinny for a little while when we first got her, and I took alot of time with her diet trying to get her looking better, and I fretted over her breeding so soon as well, I don't want anything to happen to her.

Bottle-feeding is something to consider, I have the time to do it, just not to experience. Can you point me to some good threads about it, or websites?

Thank you so much, everyone. :grouphug:

9. liz

liz Active Member

Oct 5, 2007
    Shelocta PA
    Theres a good many threads here on bottle feeding, just do a search and you will find lots of info on it as well as feeding schedules and the pros/cons of doing so.

10. Epona142

May 25, 2008
    Madisonville, TX
    Thank you, I did do a search and found a few good threads that were very helpful, though I'm certain when the time grows nearer I'll have tons more questions.

:greengrin: