Pictures of how disbudding should look

Discussion in 'Goat Frenzy' started by RunAround, Feb 15, 2009.

1. RunAround

RunAround New Member

Feb 17, 2008
    Massachusetts
    Don't know if there are any other topics about this. But I disbudded Dorcas's girl today and remembered to take a picture before I put the Blue Kote on her head. This is what it should like like after you burn with a X30. I know there are a few beginners on the board who might like a picture so here it is:

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2. KW Farms

KW Farms Moderator Supporting Member

Jun 21, 2008
    Wapato, WA
    Thank you for sharing! I usually take mine to the vet to have it done, but this year I will be trying it on my own. What do you like to use to put on the burn after disbudding?

3. RunAround

RunAround New Member

Feb 17, 2008
    Massachusetts
    I just put a little blue kote on after. Then I send them off to get a good drink off their mom.

4. MissMM

MissMM New Member

Oct 22, 2007
    McGregor, MN
    Somebody please help me muster the courage to do this on my own after my goaties kid. I have the X30 disbuddiing iron, but I'm absolutely terrified to use it! It looks like you did a very good job though & thanks for sharing!

5. RunAround

RunAround New Member

Feb 17, 2008
    Massachusetts
    It's a terrible thing and I hate doing it, but I also don't like horns. And you can't show a nigerian with horns.

I goes a lot smoother if you have a person to hold the goats head still while you burn. I find that, despite the box, they still manage to wiggle away from the iron and I end up burning more.

I always pick them up right after, hold them close and tell them how sorry I am. Once they get a good drink from mom I give them some more hugs and let them fall asleep in my lap.

Here she is after some blue kote and mommy milk:
    [​IMG]

6. MissMM

MissMM New Member

Oct 22, 2007
    McGregor, MN
    I still think I'm gonna bribe my DH into doing it so they associate him with the nastiness & not me :)

buy stock in Miller Genuine Draft everybody, cause I'm gonna be buying a lot of it come April!

7. Jenna

Jenna New Member

Jan 7, 2009
    I just disbudded my kids about a week ago, it went fine.... Something I don't care for! :tears:

8. sparks879

sparks879 New Member

Looks good. Thats exactly how it should look when you get a good burn. Sometimes if you do really young kids (like a day or two old) you wont get the copper ring, but you will get a completly white hole almost, this is another way you can tell it was a good burn.
    Im suposed to be doing a clinic for the 4-h kids on how to disbud and tatoo here in a month or so. Once we get a fair number of kids. I will see if i can get someone to video the process of disbudding. Ill try and remember to ask someone to shve their goats heads before so you can see better without all the smoke.
    Its really not too bad of a process. I did a couple kids last night. Its fast and easy and so much easier then having horns.
    beth

9. StaceyRosado

StaceyRosado Administrator Staff Member Supporting Member

Oct 4, 2007
    NJ
    what I do is have my brother get the kid and he puts it in the box (well I help but stay perfectly quite and try to not let the kid see me. I burn the kids hornbuds and then I pick him/her up and cuddle -- hence I am the good guy. Worked the past couple kids --- brother wasnt happy as the kids would run from him. :(

10. RunAround

RunAround New Member

Feb 17, 2008
    Massachusetts
    Thanks, I probably could have burned a little more, but ick. I think I take disbudding worse than the kids do. I always burn one side, then the other and check the original side I burned. If it looks weepy or bloody then I touch it up, then I do the same on the other side. I think the key is as long as there is no blood or clear fluid then you have a good burn.

Sheila still gave me her mommy cry a little while after I did it and jumped in my arms, so I guess she forgives me. :love:

A video would be awesome sparks, I just never have enough people around to video tape anything.

11. HollowbeadRanch

HollowbeadRanch New Member

Oct 5, 2007
    NW Alabama
    Thanks for the pics!

Gosh... I hope I can do this when I have kids born.... I just don't know.... :shrug: :tears:

12. yonderhill

yonderhill New Member

Jan 15, 2009
    Upstate NY
    Thanks for the pictures..You did a great job!

Jennah

13. BeeLady

BeeLady New Member

Thanks for taking the pics. I still need to buy a disbudding iron and I suppose a box. I'm glad you said there should be no blood or weeping of the wound; I suppose the heat cauterizes the blood vessels, etc.

A video would be great as I would like to see in real time how long the iron is held on (would rather only do it once!). Seems like I've read it should be 10 seconds or so but I'm afraid I might lose track of time and pull it off too soon. So seeing what it actually looks like would be very helpful. Reminds me of cattle branding -- took a few tries (on different animals) to get the timing down.

I hope I have forgiving little kids!

14. sparks879

sparks879 New Member

10 seconds for me is way too long. I have intervals depending on the breed and age and sex of the animal. Having alpines, some of my buck kids are born ready. I have done them as young as twenty four hours old. Doe kids are usually two or three days. Nubians tend to need to cook their buds a little longer. Nigies i have done up to six weeks of age. I start out with three seconds and check after that. I would rather have to put the iron on their head again rather then have it on their too long.
    I always use a box and wear leather gloves when i disbud, in case i slip, keeps me from burning my hand.
    i found a decent video of a kid being disbudded. The iron is very different from mine and they hold it on longer then i would. but i think mine probably gets hotter.

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xz844hBl-XM&feature=related"]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xz844hBl ... re=related[/ame]
    beth

15. RunAround

RunAround New Member

Feb 17, 2008
    Massachusetts
    Yeah, with my X30 I hold about 3 seconds, check it out and then burn more if needed. I also do the X over the horn bud.

My friend is trying to convert me to a portasol, but I really like my x30.

16. Dreamchaser

Dreamchaser New Member

Oct 29, 2008
    Camp Verde, AZ
    *passes out* Sorry, I know that is has to be done, but ick! I'm a little squeemish. I'd be terribly afraid of doing it wrong.

17. liz

liz Active Member

Oct 5, 2007
    Shelocta PA
    The "other" reason why I take them to a breeder friend and stand OUTSIDE the barn!

I like horns....but having requests for it to be done was a first last year.....and I know I'll be making the trip again this year with my first reg. nigi kids :(

18. PotterWatch

PotterWatch New Member

Jan 23, 2009
    So. California
    One of my boys just had the scab fall off today and he has a spot that is bloody. Is that normal? I put some neosporin on it for lack of knowing what else to do. What, if anything, should I do for it? It looks like a scab will be falling off the other side soon.

19. KW Farms

KW Farms Moderator Supporting Member

Jun 21, 2008
    Wapato, WA
    I think it's pretty normal for the scab to come off and have very minimal bleeding, the neosporin should be good enough, maybe even put a little bandaid over the top to keep the dirt out and then take it off once it dries pretty good.

20. RunAround

RunAround New Member

Feb 17, 2008
    Massachusetts
    I just spray more blue kote or some iodine on.