Pictures of our new girls!

Discussion in 'Goat Frenzy' started by hphorses, Apr 25, 2010.

1. hphorses

hphorses New Member

Feb 16, 2010
    Waldron, SK. Canada
    Here are the doelings we bought today. we opted to wait until Fall to buy a buckling... We put them in the barn for the night just to keep them a little calmer.. and we also ended up taking the 4 littlest ones out and putting them in their own stall together because they were getting pushed around way to much.

Now I also have a question.. the picture of the ones head with the star she is REALLY bossy and has pretty pointy horns... is it ok to tip goats like you do long horn roping steers?

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Tara

2. liz

liz Well-Known Member

Oct 5, 2007
    Shelocta PA
    Not sure about tipping, duct tape works great for making horns hurt less! A couple wraps around each to make a ball on the ends would be less stressful foor the doe I think.

3. hphorses

hphorses New Member

Feb 16, 2010
    Waldron, SK. Canada
    Oh that's an EXCELLENT idea, thanks so much!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Tara

4. ZipperDoo

ZipperDoo Member

Apr 18, 2010
    You can get these little foam balls that look like golf balls at the toy store, I think they are Nerf gun refills? Or something? Cut a slit in the bottom of a couple and jam them on the horns, then wrap a little duct tape around them to keep them in place.

I put squeaky-toy refill squeakers on a buck's horns once, under the tape... He went from being an annoying butt-er to being a hilarious squeaker. It was so difficult to take him seriously... but it sure did amuse me. :)

5. chad3006

chad3006 New Member

Apr 5, 2010
    TX
    For what it's worth, we tip the horns on all our keepers. If you do it, keep some styptic powder handy in case you take off a little too much and cause it to bleed (it happens.) You have to get a feel for it because every goat is a little different, but we try to keep the tipped horn (cross section) about the size of a dime, maybe a little smaller.

6. crocee

crocee New Member

Jul 25, 2008
    Northeast Arkansas
    One of our goats had very sharp horn tips. We cut off the top 1/2 inch and used sandpaper to round it over so there were no sharp edges. This was a necessity as he horned a pregnant doe's udder and ripped a gash in it. Removing the tip of the horn also seemed to calm the behaviour of using the horns under the other goats. I guess he figured it wasn't worth the effort if he wasn't going to do any damage.

7. greatcashmeres

greatcashmeres New Member

Jul 13, 2008
    Maine
    Congrats on the group, and I'm sure they'll fit in fine in no time. :stars: You're gonna have lotsa fun! :wink:

8. toth boer goats

toth boer goats Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Jul 20, 2008
    Corning California
    Very nice goats there..... congrats... :greengrin: :thumb:

9. AlaskaBoers

AlaskaBoers New Member

May 6, 2008
    Wasilla Alaska
    aw cute!
    what % boer are they?

10. farmgirl42

farmgirl42 New Member

Jan 2, 2010
    Eastern Ohio
    Very nice group you have there. Congratulations! :clap:

11. hphorses

hphorses New Member

Feb 16, 2010
    Waldron, SK. Canada
    Ok I think we will probably end up just tipping her, then I don't have to worry as much.... I don't know what % the red headed ones are but I do know the two with black heads are out of Alpine Does and only 50%.

Thanks everyone! we are enjoying them already!

Tara

12. HoosierShadow

HoosierShadow Senior Member

Apr 19, 2010
    Central Kentucky
    Congrats! They are beautiful! We just brought our first two girls home and we have fallen head over heels in love with them! They are just so sweet!

13. Congrats, looks like a few might be bred?

14. hphorses

hphorses New Member

Feb 16, 2010
    Waldron, SK. Canada
    lol looked that way to me too but they are not suppose to be.. worms??? they said they wormed them 2 weeks ago with something that started with a D I think...