The Goat Spot Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
sister to goatszrule
1,904 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My family just got a pig and yes we are going to slotter it but I have some questions about the care of a pig

What kind of fencing should I need?

What shuld it eat?

There will be more questions in a while but i need all the help i can get.
:ponder:

·
~Crazy Goat Lady~
29,202 Posts
When we had pigs, we used electric wire.. When the first one was little he was in some chain link but he busted through it all the time...

As to feed.. We use a piglet & sow pellet or crumble soaked in goat milk or water while they were still tiny, then we moved to the hog grower pellets, and all along they were getting our table scraps, and friends brought scraps, one friend had an apple tree they have us all the apples from, bakery's and Stonyfield yogurts will give you stuff, just have to look around for 'old' foods and stuff ;) good luck with you pig :) your gonna love it when he's on your plate! The best pork ever!

·
sister to goatszrule
1,904 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Yes the only thing he will eat is goat milk and honey

·
Registered
30,566 Posts
They also enjoy Hay..take tons of feed to feed them out...plain scraps with no supplement feed will create a very very strong meat ..raw milk and Whey are great for them....when we picked up ours from process the butcher came out and asked my husband what we fed our pigs...he said in all his years he never saw such beautiful pork :D He told him our secret was raw goats milk...
also provide a large enough trough for them to get in...they do need to keep cool...
We use portable panels to keep them contained...

·
Proud goat momma
423 Posts
Your going to want at least one strand(I'd do 2 personally) of hot wire. Once they learn to get out a couple times they will do it daily. We have 4 pigs right now in electro netting for pigs. The little one(i've named a$$) totally thought an afternoon snack of zucchini greens was an important addition to his diet. So important in fact that the small zap the electro netting provided was no obstacle to said greens. He ate several rows...like 50 feet of them(nom nom nom) so we finally added a strand of wire inside the netting and low and behold the zap provided by the bare wire keeps the rotten little thing in! Did I mention I hate pigs?? Ugh! I was ready to shoot him and invite the neighbors for a pig roast(no joke)

·
sister to goatszrule
1,904 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Ok He also keeps digging up rocks how do I stop that

·
Registered
30,566 Posts
digging is their nature...you wont stop that... Our pigs got out once..pushed the gate opened...we put a t post in front of it and bingo..no more escapees... yet lol

·
sister to goatszrule
1,904 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Well what else should I know?

·
Registered
1,887 Posts
Don't trust them:) I had a female Yorkshire last year. I got her at about 8 weeks old. My husband wanted her for meat. I wanted her for a pet:) it got to the point she would charge me and try to bite my legs and feet if I turned my back. The bigger she got the meaner she got. I'm not scared of much but ended up being terrified of that pig. I had to put her feed and water buckets on a rope that I could pull over the fence and then drop back over instead of going in with her. I loaded her and took her to the slaughter house myself and sooner than we planned. In the beginning I told my husband that I couldn't take care of her and then eat her but in the end I was happy to eat her:)

·
sister to goatszrule
1,904 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Dont worry I already want him out of here! We keep him at our horse barn up the street so once I was all alone at the barn the barn's dog next to me. The pig got under the fence and into another stall. I went to open the door and The dog got into the pen with the pig and started chacing the pig around!
Everyone is fine now but next time I'm not going to bother opining the door.

·
Registered
13 Posts
We have pigs and we use hog Panals as fencing on concrete if u plan on houseing them on dirt be prepared they can dig alot and sometimes dig under a fence. We raise them for shows like the fair so we feed them show pig feed u might want to trie something different I'd go to your mill and ask they will tell you what you should feed them and we also give them extra goat milk

1 - 12 of 12 Posts