The Goat Spot Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
228 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I got Bentley a few days ago and we've been bonding nicely. He loves being fed (shocker, right? ;)), belly rubs, and being sang to.
Today I was sitting in his pen and reading a book and he came up to me and starting nipping at my toes, running his nose into me, and tried to hump my leg a few times.
What was up with that?
Oh, and he also randomly breathed out of his mouth a few times, making sighing sounds.

·
Registered
228 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Yes, he's intact. But he is young. I'm guessing less than 10 or 12 weeks.

·
Registered
69 Posts
Sounds like he "likes" you....buck breeding behaviors. They are sexually active at a few weeks old...if u arent gonna use him for breeding i would get him wethered. Intact bucks are smelly and only think about one thing most of the time... It can be quite annoying...Wethers make fantastic pets.

·
Registered
8,603 Posts
Um, Electra, this is a pig, not a goat. :p

·
Goat Girl
1,985 Posts
He is probably just trying to be dominant over you. If you are wanting him as a pet, I would have him cut now. Pigs handle it younger way better than they do older as they do have to be cut since they can't be banded. It isn't very hard and if you have someone do it who is good at it, it will be done in a matter of minutes.

Pigs seem to have more human like sounds/actions than some other animals. The mouth breathing is most likely just him sighing. As long as he isn't breathing heavily all the time, snotty nosed or sounds crackly he should be OK.

·
Registered
69 Posts
Haha...sorry thought it was a goat named Piglet:)). Hahaha!
Thats the best laugh i've had all week!

·
Registered
3,499 Posts
He is probably just trying to be dominant over you. If you are wanting him as a pet, I would have him cut now. Pigs handle it younger way better than they do older as they do have to be cut since they can't be banded. It isn't very hard and if you have someone do it who is good at it, it will be done in a matter of minutes.

Pigs seem to have more human like sounds/actions than some other animals. The mouth breathing is most likely just him sighing. As long as he isn't breathing heavily all the time, snotty nosed or sounds crackly he should be OK.
Agree. Usually pigs are castrated in the first week if not few days of life. Once they're over a month to siz weeks or so old cutting gets a little toughers. Find a pig person and have them do it. Its a simple process just a little more complicated since he'll be bigger and more... ummm... developed.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts