piglets...sow has a problem.

Discussion in 'Other Pets' started by AlaskaBoers, Oct 28, 2009.

1. AlaskaBoers

AlaskaBoers New Member

May 6, 2008
    Wasilla Alaska
    hi
    so my sow farrowed on Sunday night with 13 piglets...12 survived, but all are doing well.

got a problem...

the sow has developed a hot and hard udder...mastitis, but no temp. she has a bit of discharge tonight. i'm thinking an infection. i just want to double check. would 10cc o penG be ok? the hog forum i'm on takes awhile to respond, and the one i'd rather use doesnt email you an activation email. :roll:

so i'm thinking the penG, i cant get ahold of any oxytocin :doh: for milk let down...and maybe some peppermint cream to make her udder feel a bit better. :hug:

2. toth boer goats

toth boer goats Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Jul 20, 2008
    Corning California
    Katrina ...I am sorry... your sow is having problems.....I wish I could help....but ...I do not know anything about pigs... :( ....I hope... you can figure out the dosage and heal her ...right away....I will pray.... for her and the piglets ...are you having to bottle feed them now? 12 babies is alot of work........hope she is doing better today.... :hug:

3. sparks879

sparks879 New Member

Im not a pig person, but i just read the dose for dex ( a higher poered antibiotic) is 20 cc's. depending on how large your sow is ten might not be enough. Can you contact the local 4-h leaders? Maybe they could get you a dosage. Hope she gets better.
    beth