The Goat Spot Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
1,041 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello,
I'm new to goats, and am wondering if it's normal for black pigment to come off on one's hands when petting a black goat. Her coat is very glossy right now, and it never fails that I come away with blackened hands when I handle her. It's not dirt, even though they roll in it, because our dirt is kind of grey-beige. All I get from petting her mostly white mom is the expected dust from dust bathing.
Thanks!

·
Banned
5,944 Posts
That's a new one. I am at a total loss to even try to suggest what could be causing this.

·
Registered
361 Posts
Is this a goat that you've had for a while, or one that you recently bought? In other words, is there any chance that her coat has been treated or dyed with something? Otherwise, I'm mystified as well.

·
Registered
1,041 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Hi, I've had her just shy of three months, she's a kid, but I'm sure she wasn't dyed with anything, as she was represented to me as black with white markings, which is exactly what she is. The breeder isn't into needless treatments, and as she's a healthy little thing, it seems doubtful that it's anything that's been applied to her coat. Maybe she's the true source of Grecian Formula? ;)

·
Registered
368 Posts
Could they have sprayed her with a show product that might be coming off now. I use a hoof spray at shows that makes the hoof glossy they have one that makes the hoof black. I'm not sure on this one.

·
Registered
1,041 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
TDG, perhaps it is her skin oil making the dust look much darker. It's just so very much darker, it really surprises me. Thank you, everyone, for your replies.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts