The Goat Spot Forum banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi everyone!
My neighbour has got a pigmy goat which is sick.
She is quite old I must say, she is about 10 years old or even more.
She was always a healthy goat, but suddenly she started to behave strangely: she keeps moving in circle, she apparently can't rest though she is not coordinate at all, as a result she keeps falling down. I live in the Italian Alps and she is free to go wherever she wants, she used to spend a lot of time in a moraine close to our houses, where many wild animals, such as deer, live. I'm afraid she might have been infected with a disease from them.
I love her with all my heart though she is not mine, I don't want her to suffer this much and I'm sure her owners won't do anything for her, not even calling a vet :(
Have you ever experienced this situation? What should I do? Is there any solution?
Three days ago I found her stuck in the moraine, she wasn't able to go back home and I had to bring her back. But the next day she seems almost fine and she does eat.

·
Super Moderator
32,251 Posts
I agree...thiamine needs to be 500 mg. Straight thiamine is best but b complex is ok in a pinch. Must be injectable..gice every 4 to 6 hours. Penicillin needs to be 1 cc per 10 pounds sub q every 4 to 6 hours. ( always pull back the plunger before injecting to check for blood. No blood is good to go. See blood, re adjust and try again. This is around the clock treatment.
She will also need either dexamethsone 1 cc per 20 pounds IM once a day or Banamine 1 cc per 100 pounds once a day (for 3 days then evaluate if more is warrented)
Treatment needs to be done until not less than 24 hours of zero symptoms. Thennits best to ween off meds.

Beat wishes

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
It's been few days, the owners refused to accept my help saying that they contacted a vet and he told them she had a stroke. The only solution according to them is euthanasia, but they want to do that. Yesterday she suddenly fell down and I thought she was dead. So I went there to see if she was dead, but as I touched her she had a little convulsion and got up. But today she looked much better as she did not fall down, but she keeps circling like mad. I'm really sorry for this. Do you think she could have had a stroke? If she had one of those diseases, you guys mentioned, shouldn't she be already dead? Thanks

·
Super Moderator
32,251 Posts
It's possible she had a stroke. Its possible she has seizure disorder. Did the vet examine her or just guest? Does her eyes look OK, no twitching. How about her head..does she pull it flaked against her side...other than circling..what is she doing. Either way the thiamine/b complex would not hurt..a round of penicillin would not hurt. Dexamethsone certainly woud not hurt. I know it must be hard to watch a goat in trouble and have no say in her care. I'm sorry.

·
Super Moderator
32,251 Posts
She will be predator bait or if not found to help up she can bloat and suffer. Time for rhem to make a decision for her well being.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
I reckon something happened to her, I haven't seen her the whole day :( I just hope she didn't suffer any longer.
She was always by side, even though she wasn't mine, she cheered me up during my bad days in teenage with her funny behaviour.
I will never forget her.
Thank you guys for the help, I wish I could do something more for her.

·
Super Moderator
32,251 Posts
I'm sorry. Stinks

Reactions: MadHouse
1 - 20 of 20 Posts