Pine branches

Discussion in 'Goat Management' started by upstate10, Jan 2, 2010.

1. upstate10

upstate10 Guest

Jan 2, 2010
    I've just read that pine needles, when fed to goats, can help as a natural de-wormer and actually detour coccidia------anybody know anything about this?

hello! i'm a newbie, btw. i take care of about 20 goats at a farm-----lots of eastern pine being brought down due to expansion of the farm.......sad to see the trees go------so many branches leftover, which got me wondering about feeding some of them to the goats.

thank you for any input!

2. ProctorHillFarm

ProctorHillFarm New Member

They love love love pine trees

We tossed our XMas in the goat pen yesterday morning and it was a skeleton by the time we got their for night feeding :slapfloor:

3. StaceyRosado

StaceyRosado Administrator Staff Member Supporting Member

Oct 4, 2007
    NJ
    yes they do act as a natural dewormer -- as to reducing cocci numbers that I dont know.

But goats love pine :greengrin:

4. liz

liz Well-Known Member

Oct 5, 2007
    Shelocta PA
    This time of year when vegetation is sparse, mine tend to gravitate to the Blue Spruce that line my yard. And the girls will be getting my Christmas tree tomorrow :wink:

5. upstate10

upstate10 Guest

Jan 2, 2010
  6. Yes this is true as with the brier black berry bushes.

7. upstate10

upstate10 Guest

Jan 2, 2010
    yay!

ok....so how much is too much? i work with 16 goats. can they have a few branches everyday? once a month? a bunch at a time?

thanks~

8. Lawanda

Lawanda New Member

Jun 11, 2009
    West Virginia
    WHAT? REALLY? I am so giving them our xmas tree, then! I never realized this!

9. Like anything, too much of one thing cold cause a tummy ache but at the end of the day you will not hurt them. Like uak, eventually they will eat it all but most won't over do it at once.

10. upstate10

upstate10 Guest

Jan 2, 2010
    thank you!

the goats are VERY happy!

11. farmgirl42

farmgirl42 New Member

Jan 2, 2010
    Eastern Ohio
    This really surprises me, as I had been told that the pine needles are a danger to the goats - some have punctured the goat stomach. Have I been told wrong? Anyone else hear of this?

12. liz

liz Well-Known Member

Oct 5, 2007
    Shelocta PA
    Hmmm...thats the first time I've heard of punctures from pine needles....if anything they would hurt the mouth first. Goats tend to eat things that we think they shouldn't because of injury. I've seen mine go after mouthfuls of wild rose bushes as well as crab apple branches...those hurt just looking at them.

13. That is correct. You were misinformed. Along with what Liz said my goats killed off the wild brier bushes and they have thorns the lenth of my finger nail at LEAST in some cases. They tare though it like nothing. And pine needles have been eaten here a LONG time.

14. nutmegfarm

nutmegfarm New Member

Dec 22, 2009
    NE Ohio
    A goats grinding teeth would destroy pine needles in a goats mouth, so they really can't "puncture" any part of the goats stomach system. Like anything though, pine needs to be fed in moderation. They love them though!

15. Itchysmom

Itchysmom New Member

Apr 2, 2010
    Washington
    This is great news! Is any pine type tree Ok, or are there ones I should keep them away from? I have several different pines on my property. I will also be planting some blue spruce so will have to keep them away from those until they are much bigger!

I also have wild roses that I do want to get rid of. When they eat those do they kill them or will they come back again the following year?

16. StaceyRosado

StaceyRosado Administrator Staff Member Supporting Member

Oct 4, 2007
    NJ
    ponderosa pine can cause abortions but other then that all pines are good :)