The Goat Spot Forum banner

1 - 20 of 54 Posts

·
Registered
201 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was wondering if bagged pine shavings were OK for bedding. Since I have had a doe with a cough. Was wondering?

·
Registered
8,709 Posts
I use shavings because I absolutely hate cleaning out all that straw? When it starts getting colder I will probably add straw, but until then, they get shavings ;)

·
Banned
5,944 Posts
I was wondering if bagged pine shavings were OK for bedding. Since I have had a doe with a cough. Was wondering?
Don't use shaving for kidding - stick to straw or old hay. The shavings stick to the baby and can block their nose, mouth, and they make it harder for Mom to clean the babie(s).

·
Goat Momma
346 Posts
We use pine shavings. So much easier to clean out than straw. And since we switched to shavings the stalls and barn aren't as wet! It soaks up a lot better. In the winter we just let the wasted hay pile up over top of the shavings to keep the barn a little warmer.

·
~Crazy Goat Lady~
29,202 Posts
I use pine shavings too :) I use loose hay in the winter if it gets extra chilly.. But if they are doing ok and aren't cold I use just shavings as long as I can.. I hate cleaning hay and straw! Plus straw is $10.99 a bale right now.. I can't afford that all the time! I buy some to use in my kidding stalls to keep every thing as clean as I can for mom and baby and extra toasty for the kids :)

·
Rusty
192 Posts
What do you do with all your wasted hay when you muck your goat barn- I just hate that stinky stuff-Ive been just turning it under ground when I clean it out to "kill" the stinky!

·
~Crazy Goat Lady~
29,202 Posts
I throw mine on the compost like in the woods... I clean loose hay out of the inside every day... So it's rarely wet an icky..

·
~Crazy Goat Lady~
29,202 Posts
My guys will nibble on any fresh bedding I put down.. But not enough to do anything to them.. And they eat bark off trees and eat little twigs so I don't see much of a difference... :shrug:

·
~Crazy Goat Lady~
29,202 Posts
I get flies in the summer.. But other then that I do t find I have any more bugs then before I had goats... And I have always used the shavings and we have never had to deal with live or mites on the goats..

·
~Crazy Goat Lady~
29,202 Posts
I'm in New Hampshire.. Guess there is a bit of a difference there huh? :laugh:

·
~Crazy Goat Lady~
29,202 Posts
Lol!

What type of bugs?? I just get it at my feed store compressed into paper or plastic bags..

1 - 20 of 54 Posts