Pine trees and goats don't mix?

Discussion in 'Dairy Diaries' started by newtogoats, Oct 7, 2008.

1. newtogoats

newtogoats New Member

Aug 27, 2008
    So here is what kept me up worrying last night. The place I've envisioned for my goats is on the side of the house where I can see them, away from any dangerous plants (rhododenderons, mt. laurel, weeping cherry). It is bordered by mostly birch and beech woods, so far so good, right? But there is a huge white pine in the middle and this year there are more pine cones down then I've ever seen. The dog actually got all sticky from them and needed a bath. Pine needles fall too, of course. So if I want to keep my (future) goats here, will they nibble on these things and get their milk all resiny tasting? I'd have to rake every day this time of year to keep the pine cones away, and I'd never get all the needles. There is no other really good, clear place for them. They can spend lots of time in our woods, of course, but unsupervised time and their shed needs to be here, I think. Any ideas, experience with the pine issue? Thanks, L

2. Amy Goatress

Amy Goatress New Member

Oct 1, 2008
    Ours have eating pine branches but we don't usually give our pregnant girls any though but after they kidded, the kids still drank their milk though and we haven't had any yucky tasting milk either!

3. capriola-nd

capriola-nd New Member

Jul 6, 2008
    Northwest Oregon
    Our goaties love to eat pine. . . . our neighbor has a tree that borders the property and all the needles fall down, the goats eat them just fine. It's not white pine though. . . . .

4. Julie

Julie New Member

Oct 5, 2007
    Southern PA
    I throw pine needle branches in for my goats all the time. They love it, and it's good for them. Pine needles are suppose to act as a natural dewormer. I never noticed any bad flavor in the milk before ... unless I just didn't notice it because I didn't drink much of it. I used most of the milk for bottle babies I had here.
    However, I'm not sure what kind of pine needle trees my trees are, plus my goats haven't eaten the pine cones. So I can't say for sure if there's any difference with a "white pine" and/or with the pine cones.

5. newtogoats

newtogoats New Member

Aug 27, 2008
    Thank you for the replies so far. These are the really large trees, about my arms-wide in width (and they can grow that big in only about 50 years). They are quite common up here in the Catskills. I had thought that I'd read that pine needles gave a taste to the milk,and I thought with all these pine cones it might be worse, but maybe I was wrong, or maybe they won't even be interested. Or maybe I can start a new "Retsina" ( a Greek wine) flavored milk!

6. StaceyRosado

StaceyRosado Administrator Staff Member Supporting Member

Oct 4, 2007
    NJ
    goats wont eat the pinecones, and I have never had milk taste weird because of the pine needles.

Yes pine is a natural dewormer --- I give mine christmas trees every year and they go crazy for them.

We have only oak and pine here in the pine barrons of NJ so thats what my goats get

7. Sonrise Farm

Sonrise Farm New Member

Sep 18, 2008
    Southwick, Idaho
    No Pine Needles for our goats . . . we get horridly bitter milk from it. A natural dewormer? I might try that next worming time . . .

8. newtogoats

newtogoats New Member

Aug 27, 2008
    Any danger for bred does?

9. StaceyRosado

StaceyRosado Administrator Staff Member Supporting Member

Oct 4, 2007
    NJ
    no there is no danger to bred does.

10. kelebek

kelebek New Member

Oct 5, 2007
    South Texas
    Mine will go running out into the pen after a wind storm and search out the fallen pine limbs. They also get the christmas tree. It is like crack for goats! :ROFL:

11. newtogoats

newtogoats New Member

Aug 27, 2008
    Yum! Do they eat the cranberries and tinsel too?

12. sparks879

sparks879 New Member

for the most part pine is fine, i assume you are talking about the christmas tree type fir and whatnot. Actual true pine trees, ponderosa pines. the kind with the long double needles and large pine cones that have the large pine nuts in them...can cause abortions in pregnant ruminants, this includes goats sheep and cows.
    beth

13. newtogoats

newtogoats New Member

Aug 27, 2008
    Well, these are east coast, what I've been told are "white pines", bundled needles, long (5" or so) cones...

14. sparks879

sparks879 New Member

I cant find anything saying the white pine causes abortions. As for the milk tasting off i imagine it would take quite a bit of only eating pine for it to have any effect.
    beth

15. liz

liz Active Member

Oct 5, 2007
    Shelocta PA
    I have white pine as well as blue spuce all over the place here...winter time is when I see mine eating the pie boughs...never the cones and mine haven't had any ill effects..milk was fine too.

16. Ivy

Ivy New Member

Aug 9, 2008
    Midwest
    All our goats have their pens smack in the middle of our pine groves, white and red pine.
    Never had a prob. Never had yukky milk. Its a no issue here.
    They dont eat the cones. They love the shed needles.

The only thing I have to deal with is my Angora buck pen. The 2 Angora bucks in there use the trees to rub their horns and they try to eat them. Needless to say, the trees in their pen have the trunks all wrapped in chicken wire so the trees are not injured.

17. Epona142

Epona142 The farm that Hope began

May 25, 2008
    Madisonville, TX
    This is something I was concerned with, because the property we are working on is 99% pine, the tall kind with lots of pine needles, not sure about the cones. We're clearing a bunch of the trees but not all. I've also read somewhere that pine can cause a goat to abort? :shrug:

18. liz

liz Active Member

Oct 5, 2007
    Shelocta PA
    It depends on the "type" of pine tree...blue spruce and white pines are in abundance here and are very safe for goats...maybe try and get the specific name for the pinetree and do a search as to wether they would harm your goats.

19. alpinemom

alpinemom New Member

Oct 28, 2007
    Waldoboro, ME
    Up here in Maine we have alot of white Pine, fir, and hemlock. My goats love the Fir, needles and bark. The Hemlock will make them sick(I was told this by a veteran goat breeder). The long needle pine is another favorite. My milk never has an off taste. I cleared a pasture for them last summer and they ate as much as they wanted.

20. sweetgoats

sweetgoats Moderator

Oct 18, 2007
    Peyton CO.
    OH Pine is not harmful at all to the goats. I have lots of friends that have lots of pine trees and the goats love the needles. Matter of fact. people contact us, ask us to bring the goats over to eat up all the vegetation from under the trees to help reduce the chance of fires. Cashmere goats are GREAT for that.