Pine trees needles edible?

Discussion in 'Health & Wellness' started by JessaLynn, Oct 1, 2009.

1. JessaLynn

JessaLynn New Member

Aug 29, 2009
    NW Ohio
    Our goats have two pine trees in their pasture (not sure what kind,they have the needles that fall everywhere on the ground) and are always munching on the needles.Are these safe for them to eat.I am getting mixed reports on it and not sure.One book says no and another says yes it's a natural dewormer.UGH! Any help would be appreciated!

2. FunnyRiverFarm

FunnyRiverFarm New Member

Sep 13, 2008
    Hudson, MI
    Yes, they are safe and goats love them! I'm not sure how effective they are for deworming, though...so I would not rely on them for that.

Now, I have heard that pregnant goats should not eat them, but I have no personal experience with them causing any problem.

3. JessaLynn

JessaLynn New Member

Aug 29, 2009
    NW Ohio
    Well we have 2 does that are pregnant and that worries me :question: I wouldn't rely on that to deworm them but it doesn't hurt to help out in that area :) Thanks for replying!

4. BetterBuckskins

BetterBuckskins New Member

Feb 1, 2009
    Taxachusetts
    Our girls think they are not only edible, but delicious, no evidence on our end that they caused problems during pregnancy. :)

5. RowdyKidz

RowdyKidz Senior Member

Apr 2, 2009
    NW Ohio
    Yep! Pine needles are OK for goaties... :wink:

6. liz

liz Well-Known Member

Oct 5, 2007
    Shelocta PA
    Mine devour Blue Spruce! They even get my Christmas Tree when I'm done with it....and they are usually pregnant at that time and have had no adverse effects from them.

Most conifers are ok for goats....it's the Hemlock or "flat needled" pine type tree's that aren't.

7. goathappy

goathappy New Member

Oct 5, 2007
    Illinois
    Ponderosa and yellow pine are also not good for goats, but most pines are perfectly fine and are very high in vitamin C.

8. donbusbin

donbusbin New Member

Aug 30, 2009
    Okay for the goats, not so good for the tree. They will eat it to a nub if possible, I have one for their shade but I had to put six feet of stove pipe around the trunk to save it. They had eaten several others before I realized turpentine did not taste as bad to them as it does to me.
    DON

9. StaceyRosado

StaceyRosado Administrator Staff Member Supporting Member

Oct 4, 2007
    NJ
    correct

Pine is safe for pregnant goats except for the above mentioned evergreens.

Pine is also a natural dewormer but dont use it for a load of worms but as a management tool it works awesome.

For years we gave our goats pine in great numbers due to cuttind down trees for building or they fell down (I live in the Pine Barrons) or after Christmas we would get people's trees and my goats through the winter were real healthy too.

10. JessaLynn

JessaLynn New Member

Aug 29, 2009
    NW Ohio
    I'm puzzled because the pines we have looks like the ponderosa pine tree when I researched them but not for sure.The needles are long and fall off 2 stuck together to make a v and have long skinny pine cones. Anyone know if it's the same or not.They've been doing fine for the past 3 weeks so doesn't seem toxic or would have gotten a reaction by now.They munch on them all the time.Dixie will stand on her hind legs to reach for them on the tree :)

11. liz

liz Well-Known Member

Oct 5, 2007
    Shelocta PA
    What you have described sounds like a white pine, we have a ton of them here but the goats still prefer the blue spruce.

12. JessaLynn

JessaLynn New Member

Aug 29, 2009
    NW Ohio
    Yep looks to be white pine.Sheew :) Glad thats cleared up.They have two in their pasture and I also take them some branches from our apple and pear trees.Thanks liz and to everyone else who responded :hug: I feel better knowing it's safe!

13. liz

liz Well-Known Member

Oct 5, 2007
    Shelocta PA
    They would enjoy the fruit from those tree's too....just not in excess as it will cause them to get diarrhea. Mine will slurp up too ripe pears in a flash!

14. greif

greif Member

Nov 3, 2007
    kaukauna, WI
    ours love cedar, tastes like gin :leap:

15. Laurel_Haven

Laurel_Haven New Member

Oct 19, 2007
    South Carolina
    We have lots of Cedar & Pine and our goats are always eating them. Actaully I see n oway we could stop them as much as we have on our property. Thank goodness they ARE okay. So far we have never had a problem with it. They love them! :thumbup:

16. AlaskaBoers

AlaskaBoers New Member

May 6, 2008
    Wasilla Alaska
    We have tons of spruce, my goats love the needles. :drool: <--- goat looking at spruce saplings

17. 3pygmymom

3pygmymom New Member

Nov 16, 2009
    Lancaster, PA
    I'm new, so please excuse me if I sound........well.........dumb?? I had taken down a small pine tree where we built the goat enclosure because I had read that pine is toxic to goats???? However, they were licking the sap off of the small piece of stump that was left and I tried to cover it with rocks, boards and they STILL got to it! And there I was frantic they were going to get deathly ill and trying to get the sap off that was stuck to them :ROFL: what a sight I must have been!

18. JessaLynn

JessaLynn New Member

Aug 29, 2009
    NW Ohio
    Aww that's how I felt to. :hug: I was all in a panic to but now you can put your mind at ease.Mine eat the sap to :drool: *Silly goaties*

19. 3pygmymom

3pygmymom New Member

Nov 16, 2009
    Lancaster, PA
    Now when we trim the pine trees, I know I can put a few branches in for them as a treat :clap: They love magnolia leaves and the flowers even more!