Pining away

Discussion in 'Goat Frenzy' started by newtogoats, Sep 7, 2008.

1. newtogoats

newtogoats New Member

Aug 27, 2008
    I just wanted to say that I'm pining away for the day (month?, year?) we're ready to get goats. I'm hoping for spring or summer, if I can convince my husband we have the time it takes. Reading about the beautiful babies doesn't make it any easier. Just one question, can anyone with mini-nubians or other minis tell about the reason you might prefer them to Nigerians (personality?, milk production?). Thanks to everyone who made me feel so welcome and answered my questions so far.
  2. liz

liz Active Member

Oct 5, 2007
    Shelocta PA
    You're so sweet!! I don't have Nubies but I do so love those ears....I got minis because of the cuteness factor and because they are small they are easier to handle than the bigger breeds. Mini Nubians have the best of both breeds...Nigerian Dwarf smallness and the ears and milk production of the Nubian.....and being super cute too.

The day you get your goaties will come faster than you know, just don't pine away too much....looking forward helps the time go faster. :hug:
    As far as the time it takes to have and care for goaties....I work 8-10 hours a day 5 days a week with 2 days off....I spend my afternoons with my "kids" while dinner is cooking or clothes are washing/ housework suffers at times but then again, I don't have a problem telling my hubby that he lives here too :ROFL: and can pitch in when the vaccuum needs run or laundry folded.

3. ArcticGoats

ArcticGoats New Member

Jun 9, 2008
    Fairbanks, Alaska
    I second Liz's opinion - they don't take much time - building barn and fences was another story! but really they are easy compared to a horse or dog that you need to train so much (of course i don't do shows or fairs so maybe thats a different story) - anyway - hope you get them soon!

4. Di

Di Crazy Goat Lady

Jan 29, 2008
    central PA
    The goats are happy with whatever time you can give them. I spend more time then necessary, probably, because I sit and talk to them while I work. But, here it's just Hubby and I. So, I do the "chores". Cleaning out water buckets takes the most time. I do that 3 times/week. But, goats are not like dogs that need constant attention. I have to say, however, I have excellent fences. It's all new fencing, put in by professionals. So, don't try to save money there. I live on a busy highway, and the last thing I wanted to worry about was the animals getting out onto the street. :GAAH: So it was worth every penny!
  5. heathersboers

heathersboers New Member

Sep 5, 2008
    Wilson N.C.
    For a few goats-it doesnt take much time- With lots of goats-especially huge boers-Your day will be filled with-goats getting out (bucks fighting and tearing down fences), Cleaning dozens of water troughs, feeding, haying??, Worming, shots, building NEW pens,shelters, bottle feeding kids, delivering kids etc. etc. It is all worth it when you see the kids running at your heels though!!!! sometimes I wish we went into smaller goats-I love Nigerian Dwarfs!!