The Goat Spot Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
4,162 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
We had a break out about 2-3 months ago of pink eye.
Got so bad one doe went blind & was out down.

Everything cleared up but now....

Now we have another break out of the nasty stuff!!
How do we get rid of it?!!?
We've been giving them some kind if shot the drops in their eye after we flush it, but is there something we can give to the whole herd? Even the ones without it right now?

I just need something to get rid of it. It's such a pain!

·
Registered
1,455 Posts
I think I have heard that chronic pinkeye is related to chlamydia? Also, you really need to do a major disinfecting of where the goats live after you treat them. I would get some opthalmic antibiotics from your vet, they will have stuff that is just for the eyes. I know that Tobramycin is one that is a pretty heavy duty opthalmic one. Also, I learned after dealign with a severe eye injury in one of my horses, that opportunistic fungus love to infect debilitated eyes, my vet had me use yeast infection cream Miconazole.

·
Goat Feeder
1,436 Posts
When fescue grass gets high it can cause pinkeye to break out. If you have a lot of high fescue keep it cut to under 1 foot.

·
Registered
4,162 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thank you for that Audrey!!!! I will deff try some of those:)
We have disinfected all the barns. Just not the feed or water troughs, should we bleach them out?

Gtallen: we dot really have high grasses but what is fescue grass?

·
Goat Feeder
1,436 Posts
Thank you for that Audrey!!!! I will deff try some of those:)
We have disinfected all the barns. Just not the feed or water troughs, should we bleach them out?

Gtallen: we dot really have high grasses but what is fescue grass?
It is a common grass in many areas. You can google it and see what it looks like.

·
Registered
4,162 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
It is a common grass in many areas. You can google it and see what it looks like.
I looked it up & we don't have much fescue grass. What little we do have, is very short.
Thanks for that though. Now I know to keep the grass down!!!

·
Registered
30,003 Posts
I agree with a good Ol' cleaning...bleach is fine or white vinegar...as for the pink eye its self..you can also use tylan 200 as a eye drop...but if they have any ulcers you should stop the tylan 200 and use triple antibiotic cram such as neospordin...pink eye must run its course but keeping the eye area clean and dry help prevent spread and also cleaning the area..feeders ect.....

·
Registered
4,162 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I agree with a good Ol' cleaning...bleach is fine or white vinegar...as for the pink eye its self..you can also use tylan 200 as a eye drop...but if they have any ulcers you should stop the tylan 200 and use triple antibiotic cram such as neospordin...pink eye must run its course but keeping the eye area clean and dry help prevent spread and also cleaning the area..feeders ect.....
Ahhhh. So if you were to just keep cleaning it, and let it run it's course, it would eventually go away?

·
Registered
30,003 Posts
Once they go through this strain if pink eye they wont get it again...but they can get a different strain : ) the key is as soon as you see a goat with watery eyes...wash the face and eye area ( I use a vinegar water wash) and keep it clean and dry..if it becomes cloudy start Tylan 200 drops..and so forth...Its about staying on top of it...clean and dry clean and dry...its a pain..

·
Registered
4,162 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Once they go through this strain if pink eye they wont get it again...but they can get a different strain : ) the key is as soon as you see a goat with watery eyes...wash the face and eye area ( I use a vinegar water wash) and keep it clean and dry..if it becomes cloudy start Tylan 200 drops..and so forth...Its about staying on top of it...clean and dry clean and dry...its a pain..
Yeah:/ cause one of my does had it for a day MAYBE that. Then she went right back into the herd and hasn't gotten it yet **knock on wood**!!
But I don't want my dog (lgd) or my other doe out there to get it.

·
Registered
30,003 Posts
Oh yes...and you..make sure to wear gloves when treating : )

·
Registered
1,628 Posts
Your vet can take a culture and send it to the lab to make a vaccine. You can vaccinate any goats that haven't has it and any new herd members in the future. Problem is that there are several strains. :/

·
Registered
4,162 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Your vet can take a culture and send it to the lab to make a vaccine. You can vaccinate any goats that haven't has it and any new herd members in the future. Problem is that there are several strains. :/
Ahhhh. Thank you!! We were looking for one medicine that we could use on all of them. I will talk to the vet:)
It's just a big pain!!

1 - 14 of 14 Posts