Pink eye? Or something else?

Discussion in 'Goat Management' started by Jarrod & Jody, May 26, 2020.

1. Jarrod & Jody

Jarrod & Jody Active Member

Oct 16, 2017
    Shady Point, Oklhoma
    I got home today from work, and two of my little weathers eyes are matted bad! One is really bad both eyes are extremely matted and he’s lethargic with some diarrhea , the other is slightly matted, only one eye, no diarrhea, not lethargic at all. I have quarantined them, and I used some bacterial spray for pink eye and other eye issues. Any thoughts? I’ve never had this before, haven’t brought any new goats into the herd. We have been having CRAZY amounts of rain and thunderstorms, im just at a lose.. this came on within the last 32 hours. They were both fine Saturday/Sunday and I didn’t notice anything Monday morning.

Attached Files:

Moers kiko boars likes this.
  2. Jarrod & Jody

Oct 16, 2017
    Shady Point, Oklhoma
    Oh! I also live in SE Oklahoma

Moers kiko boars likes this.

3. NigerianDwarfOwner707

NigerianDwarfOwner707 Well-Known Member

May 17, 2018
    East Coast, USA
    Can you do me a favor and check their FAMACHA scores? This is the color of their inner eyelids.

Are these goats the same age? Do you have other goats?

What color is the diarrhea?

Take rectal temps please!

First and foremost, give them some probios for the diarrhea! A B complex shot for the lethargic one too... though you could give to both!!

I’d real quick get some fresh raw garlic into them, this will support them overall. 2 cloves each, raw and crushed, see the list here on ways to feed it: https://thegivinggoat.home.blog/2019/01/01/using-garlic-to-improve-herd-health/

4. toth boer goats

toth boer goats Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Jul 20, 2008
    Corning California
    Can you take the goats to the vet?

Get a fecal fr worms and cocci.

The eye's look bad and swollen around it.

5. Jarrod & Jody

Oct 16, 2017
    Shady Point, Oklhoma
    Update! Fecal ran, and blood work. It was major barberpole worms, thanks to all this rain and nasty weather we have been having no coccid thank god! Vet said the worms plus gross weather could have made their eyes like that. So started new wormer and a spray for all eye issues. And the eyes are good and cleared up now!

K's boys and toth boer goats like this.
  6. ksalvagno

ksalvagno Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Glad you got her to the vet and she is doing better.

Jarrod & Jody likes this.
  7. toth boer goats

toth boer goats Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Jul 20, 2008
    Corning California
    Glad she seen a vet, you have answers and started treatment, thanks to you, she should be OK. ;)