The Goat Spot Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
479 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have this buckling with a wet cough and irritated eye so I talked to the vet and they suggested Pen-G for the eye SQ and Nexcel for the cough. I told them that I was already treating the eye with pen-g but putting it in the eye. Got a blank stare so I am guessing that wasn't something they have heard of. Nexcel was supposed to be for 4 days but he is still coughing. Eye is looking better but not 100% yet. So my question is, if the Nexcel is an antibiotic but I am guessing stronger than Pen-g, why would I use both? And does anyone know anything about the Nexcel? I have seen several meds. on this site and that isn't one of them. But it was the only thing they said they had. I didn't take him in but told them I figured he had Pnuemonia so that is what we are supposed to be treating for. Yes, he has had worm/cocci check and the cough is also with some rattly breathing. Doesn't act sick and in fact seems to be feeling better. Just wondering if it will take longer to get rid of the cough or to continue with a few more days of Nexcel?

·
Super Moderator
58,834 Posts
Naxcel should be given for at least 5 days. If it is doing nothing to help the cough, then you either need a stronger antibiotic like Draxxin or his problem isn't pnuemonia.

·
Registered
479 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Well what else would the cough be from? It isn't the cough so much that worries me. It's the wet rattly breathing. Sounds like chest congestion.

·
Super Moderator
58,834 Posts
I think it is time to take him in to the vet. Sounds like it would be best for someone to physically see the goat.

·
Registered
30,555 Posts
Ive read many do use both Pen and Draxxin together...I prefer Nuflor for upper resp. infections...3 cc per 100# once a day.

Does your buck still run a fever?
is he eating drinking peeing pooping berries, bright eye,alert, chewing a cud?

Is the rattly breathing the only symptom left..??
I would give Tussen to help clear the congestion...Benadryl will help if he is having a bit of allergies...
Probiotics are needed to help restore flora after antitbiotics..

·
Registered
479 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Yes he is fine otherwise, eating pooping temp, etc. I wonder about my grain as I have it mixed and it seems to have a lot of very fine particles in it I guess from the mixing? The goats love it but I wonder if it doesn't make them cough a little and maybe he inhaled some and got an infection. Nobody seems to cough a lot but I do notice when they eat they do. I thought it was because they were trying to get the most since the different pens of goat I have( which is 9 pens for about 30 goats so pretty separated) they are fed together in those pens and it seems like a race to see who will get the most, lol.

·
Registered
479 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Honestly, I am very impatient when trating anything, lol. I'm one of those people who will give a shot and stand around waiting to see a change :p

·
Registered
30,555 Posts
I have a few who had trouble with our mix of whole oats, Boss, beet pulp and calf manna...gobblers inhale those whole oats and choke, cough..one couldnt have it at all because she choked so bad...just being piggies...but if your mix has a lot of dust particles it could cause the coughing..perhaps your buck had more difficulty with it, maybe feed him alone so he doesnt feel he needs to rush...try some tussen to see if it helps with the rattly breathing

·
Registered
30,555 Posts
6 cc per 100# for Tussen or robintussen..

1 - 12 of 12 Posts