The Goat Spot Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
242 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So this morning I went out to check the girls and noticed that one of my younger ones had something wrong with her eye. She kept it closed and when she opened it, I noticed a bit of swelling. Thankfully I think I’ve caught it early. I used some eye drops to flush it out and then put a little eye patch on her to make sure she didn’t scratch at it more, but I’m wondering what else to do? We’ll be contacting the vet if we can’t fix it ourselves.

here’s pirate Betty!
Eye Goat Human body Mammal Sheep

·
Registered
242 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
What kind of drops are you putting in the eye?

What does the eyeball look like?
Ulceration? White area?
Any pics?

Did you look all around in the eye, eyelid and third eyelid for a foreign object or scratch?
Human eye drops, as I read another thread that said they were okay to use. I just used them to flush the eye out in case there was anything in it. The eyeball itself looks normal, it’s the upper lid thats puffy. No white spots, no obvious wound.

Mammal Goat Fawn Wood Terrestrial animal

·
Registered
4,281 Posts
It seems we cannot get terrmycin in Canada.I use Tobrex, which is an Rx pinkeye medication, so a vet needs to prescribe it, and now it is the weekend.
You can get Polysporin Antibiotic eye drops over the counter. They will sting.
I would treat for at least 5 days, twice a day.
Hair Eye Liquid Eyelash Cosmetics

·
Registered
242 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
It seems we cannot get terrmycin in Canada.I use Tobrex, which is an Rx pinkeye medication, so a vet needs to prescribe it, and now it is the weekend.
You can get Polysporin Antibiotic eye drops over the counter. They will sting.
I would treat for at least 5 days, twice a day.
View attachment 213511
Just picked that up! I’ll start one drop tonight and work up to two drops tomorrow, and for the five days recommended. Thanks so much everyone! Her eye is already looking a bit better after the eye patch and the drop.

·
Registered
242 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I wonder then if the goat didn’t get stung or bit by a spider?

How long has the swelling been there?
Is it warm to the touch?
It’s been there for about a day, just noticed it yesterday morning. I didn’t notice any warmth to it either, but I didn’t get a good feel. I’ll have to check again.

·
Registered
791 Posts
She might have gotten something in it too and was bothering her and you flushed it out. Either way good job! Keep up on the ointment, it won’t hurt her at all and keep the patch on until she is fully healed. Most people don’t understand just how much the sun can keep the eye from healing up correctly and how painful it can be for the animal. If she doesnt seem to improve or even starts to worsen really look in the eye for a foreign object. A splinter, a small stem of hay, even her eye lashes turning in but I think she is probably on the mend

·
Registered
242 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Thanks so much for the tip! I went out to check on her eye this morning and it’s looking much better. Don’t know if you can even see the swelling in the pic!
Plant Deer Grass Fawn Natural material

1 - 12 of 12 Posts