The Goat Spot Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi! I don't have any vet who knows anything about goats within 5 hours of me, so I am totally lost. One of my does has been milking poorly and today her little bit of milk was pink. I suspect a calcium deficiency, and I will begin treatment of dolomite powder asap, however she has a kid (it was her first pregnancy and she only had one) and I am concerned. The kid still drinks from her udder, and has always seemed to be a little sickly and undersized. Lately, the kid has developed occasional diarrhea, which I was unable to diagnose (I thought it was worms). Could the kid's sickness be caused by her mother's calcium deficiency? If yes, should I start her on a calcium supplement as well? Thank you so much for your help! I'm a complete newbie at this, although I've had goats for years they are usually so healthy I've never had a huge problem. ~Miss Rose

·
Goat Girl
2,018 Posts
Pink milk is generally caused by mastitis in which case you need to wash her udder really good, wash your hands and wear clean gloves, get a clean container and take a sample from each side of her udder. Label which side each sample came from and send it off for testing, either with a vet or you can send it to LSU (Louisiana State University). To go to LSU it does have to be overnighted and it does have to be kept cold which can be pretty expensive this time of year to do. They will test it for mastitis for free. If it comes back with mastitis you will want to have a sensitivity test done on it to determine which antibiotic(s) will kill the bacteria in her udder. I think they charge for the sensitivity, but not sure how much. If the overnighting will be too expensive any vet that knows about cattle and udders will be able to help you. They can have the sample tested through their own lab which will be much cheaper.

Giving the doe added calcium won't hurt, but if you suspect mastitis it is not healthy for the kid to be drinking her milk so you might want to consider pulling the kid and bottle feeding. If she does have mastitis and you have to infuse the udder with antibiotics you will need to keep the kid separate anyways because you don't want her drinking the antibiotics.

·
Crazy Goat Lady
4,324 Posts
Have you treated the kid for cocci? Cocci is a parasite that is in the gut of all goats, during times of stress they multiply and cause problems in young kids (and adults sometimes). These little buggers will kill your kid. I do not trust a fecal for cocci. I am on cocci preventive, I treat kids at 3, 6, 9 weeks of age. I use Baycox, but, don't wait for a delivery, get some Sulmet liquid and dose the kid asap. Cocci pooh has a distinctive odor...not the usual "smells like hay" pooh...it's a nasty smell, and the pooh is really sticky. How old is the kid? Take the temp to be sure that is fine.

Not sure about the doe. Sometimes pink milk is just a minor injury to the udder. Make sure there is no mastitis going on there. Get the testing kit from your supply store. Good luck!

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
The kid is almost 5 months old. Her "diarrhea" comes and goes. It doesn't have any abnormal smell and she is otherwise healthy - eats, is alert, happy, and all that.

I am testing for mastitis with a friend who has the equipment, so hopefully I will get this resolved. Thanks for your replies!

·
Registered
187 Posts
mastitus tests for goats aren't very reliable. I would pull the kid and bottle feed him till you get her cleaned up. I had a NICE boer kid that I lost from him drinking his mom's tainted milk.

·
Registered
30,668 Posts
I would treat baby for cocci, dimethox is a good OTC choice. Treat for five days . You may need a second round in three weeks if the runs come back. For mom I would test for mastisis with a CMT ypu can get at tractor supply... The treat with today/ tomorrow if needed. Sometimes pink milk with otherwise normal milk/ udder can be small veins that burst so to being to rough while nursing or milking. Feeding her back about 30 cc of her own milk a few times a day will help her body build antibodies against any bacteria. Take both their temps. If you can have fecals done, check lower inner eye for color , seek pink to red is good color, if they are pale to white I would worm them both with either ivomec plus or valbazen.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts