Pinkeye in newly preg doe

Discussion in 'Health & Wellness' started by nancy d, Oct 6, 2010.

1. nancy d

nancy d Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Oct 5, 2007
    near Seattle
    Friend has newly preg doe (one mo along) thus far topical treatment has not made imrpvement.
    I suggested biomycin but have since learned that there is risk for abortion so he's holding off on that till further word.
    What would you suggest? Pen G?

2. StaceyRosado

StaceyRosado Administrator Staff Member Supporting Member

Oct 4, 2007
    NJ
    Oxytetracyline (LA 200, Biomycin, Duramycin) is used to keep does from aborting in cases of Chlamydia so with that in mind I cant see the Oxytet causing the abortions. :shrug:

3. nancy d

Oct 5, 2007
    near Seattle
    Thanks Stacey that makes sense!
    See this is the frusterating thing about the goat world. Info floating around that at times may or may not be valid.
    I do know from my own experience that when topical treatment makes no significant improvement the biomycin knocks it right out. BUT I have never given it to preg doe either. Going to call a vet tech.

4. lissablack

lissablack New Member

Nov 30, 2009
    When I was researching pinkeye, one of the things (bacteria?) that causes it is the same as the thing that causes chlamydia, so if her doe aborts it might not be because of the Biomycin. Pinkeye is caused by lots of different things, I didn't know that before. What I had that got cured with biomycin was not the pinkeye we usually think of, because no one else got it.

Jan

5. bheila

bheila New Member

Jan 9, 2009
    Kent, Wa
    At least IF she does abort she was only a month along. I'd definitely go with BioMycin.

6. nancy d

Oct 5, 2007
    near Seattle
    Talked to my vet tech friend. For now we go with tetracycline eye stuff or nitra furzone? (SP)

7. myfainters

myfainters New Member

Oct 29, 2009
    Lancaster, CA
    I would treat for the eye infection with tetracycline BUT I would ALSO give Bio Mycin to treat for possible Chlamydia when she is further along. The Bio Mycin will keep her from aborting those kids if the pink eye is Chlamydia related.

8. myfainters

myfainters New Member

Oct 29, 2009
    Lancaster, CA
    Here is some info on Chlamydia that I found. Of course not all pink eye IS from Chlamydia. :)

Chlamydiosis (Chlamydia, Enzootic Abortion)
    Chlamydiosis, commonly known as chlamydia, is the most frequent cause of abortion in goats in North America. It is associated with pneumonia, pink eye, inflammation of epididymis (a part of the buck's reproductive system), and inflammation of the joints. It can be transmitted to does through the direct contact of feces from infected pigeons and sparrows. Chlamydia can be also transmitted to goats by ticks or other bloodsucking insects.

Chlamydia multiplies in the blood and is located in the reproductive organs of the doe. In pregnant does, this microorganism can be found in the fetus and placenta, leading to an inflammation of the placenta that prevents normal transfer of nutrients from the doe to the fetus. It can also lead to miscarriage or abortion. Abortions can occur any time between days 100 and 130 of gestation. Does may show no symptoms other than a bloody vaginal discharge two to three days prior to aborting. During the first three weeks after abortion has occurred, the doe will have uterine discharge containing chlamydia. If chlamydia is not diagnosed and treated, the infection will persist and the infected doe may abort again during the next pregnancy.

Diagnosis
    A diagnosis of chlamydiosis is based on the history of the herd, clinical signs, and characteristics of the placenta. When chlamydiosis is suspected, aborted fetuses and fresh placenta should be packed in ice, marked with correct identification of the doe, and sent to a lab for positive diagnosis. Up to three days after abortion, a vaginal swab should be taken by a veterinarian and sent to a diagnostic laboratory for isolation of the microorganism. Serum samples from the aborting doe can also be used for immunological tests, such as the enzyme-linked immunosorbent assay (ELISA) or the indirect inclusion fluorescence antibody (IIFA) tests for diagnosis.

The presence of chlamydial antigens in ground placenta or vaginal swabs collected just after abortion may be detected by ELISA with diagnostic kits developed for human C. trachomatis infections. In human medicine, polymerase chain reaction (PCR) or its variation, ligase chain reaction (LCR), are considered to be the most sensitive diagnostic methods available for diagnosis of chlamydia. But this is expensive.

Treatment and Prevention
    Infected does should be treated with tetracycline, oxytetracycline, and chlortetracycline. The injection of 20 mg/kg of oxytetracycline given by intramuscular route at 105 and 120 days of pregnancy can prevent abortion but cannot prevent chlamydial shedding at kidding. Tetracyclines affect the replication of chlamydia and can be effective in preventing abortions. Chlamydia psittaci are susceptible to chlortetracycline. In an infected herd, abortion can be prevented by administrating 80 mg/head/day during pregnancy. In an outbreak, 250 mg/head/day for 3 weeks has been recommended and appears to be effective.