Pioneer Peak ! Alaska

Discussion in 'The Chatter Box' started by AlaskaBoers, Aug 24, 2010.

1. AlaskaBoers

AlaskaBoers New Member

May 6, 2008
    Wasilla Alaska
    [​IMG]

We finally got a break in the clouds! took a 15 minute drive up to Hatcher's Pass and got to hang out with friends :thumb:

[​IMG]

Same mountain 6,398 ft Pioneer Peak, a monolith above the Matanuska Valley.
    Below it you can see the small town of Palmer.

pic quality isn't great, taken at 9:45pm and my battery was almost dead!
    Gosh I love this place.. saw two moose (cow/calf pair) along the road on the way back but the batteries were long gone! if it weren't a last minute detour i wouldn't have forgotten them :)

2. AlaskaBoers

AlaskaBoers New Member

May 6, 2008
    Wasilla Alaska
    oh yeah as you can see.. in Alaska we don't have 'foothills' it's all or nothing baby!! LOL

3. HoosierShadow

HoosierShadow Senior Member

Apr 19, 2010
    Central Kentucky
    WOW!!! That is spectacular! At least you were able to get some pics before your batteries gave out!
    The only mountains I've ever been to were in TN, so I am used to the foothills! In fact, they start about 45 mins from here, long before you get into TN. I LOVE the Gatlinburg area. I think one of the tallest mountains I've been on might be Clingman's Dome? Not sure though.

4. HoosierShadow

Apr 19, 2010
    Central Kentucky
    Since I can't sleep, and seeing your post it got me thinking about the mountains...LOL
    Clingman's Dome is the tallest peak in TN, 6,643 ft. They have a walking trail 1/2 mile from the top - we took it last summer for the first time, and it was spectacular! What was even so neat was the temperature change. It was in the mid to upper 80s down in the valley, and only in the mid to lower 60s up on the dome and windy.

What kind of temp changes are on Pioneer Peak? Do you know? Just curious. We were all in summer attire forgetting about the temp change LOL

5. cdtrum

cdtrum New Member

Aug 25, 2008
    Northern Indiana
  6. Chi Chi

Chi Chi New Member

Mar 7, 2010
  7. Lawanda

Lawanda New Member

Jun 11, 2009
    West Virginia
    That is a beautiful pic, I think. So dusky... Gorgeous mountain. My parents love Alaska, they have been there three times :)

8. AlaskaBoers

AlaskaBoers New Member

May 6, 2008
    Wasilla Alaska
    :) thanks !

well down in the Valley the temp was 57-60 (when a cloud passed over and poured rain, hail and (we EVEN HAD THUNDER!!!) we get thunder once...maybe once a year) and the temp rose to almost 61ish when the clouds passed and the sun beat down hard. we got up to the pass, which is actually an old gold mine, called Independence Mine and it was 40's and with a slight breeze.
    Up there the weather is usually way off whats happening down below.. I went up there many times early in the morning for hiking and usually you cannot see 500 feet in front of you because the fog is so thick. Other days it's clear, lots of ground squirrels, beaver, moose and bear, to top it off there's a lake at the summit...called Summit Lake.. I know, original. Anyway it's clear blue and freezing!! it's fed by glacier water, and little waterfalls all around it. Only crazy Alaskan's or tourists jump in.. LOL
    I'm planning a 2 dat camping trip up there.. i'll bring batteries and take pictures for you guys :D

9. Mon Reve Farm

Mon Reve Farm New Member

Jun 25, 2010
    Southern DE
    The pictures are just amazing!! Thank you for sharing!

10. HoosierShadow

Apr 19, 2010
    Central Kentucky
    A camping trip there would be so neat! I wish I lived closer!!

I just realized I had some pics up from our camping trip in TN last summer. Here are some pics from Clingman's Dome looking down at the 'rolling hills' haha...
    Let's see if it works this time... <flickr and their changes...bleh...>

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

When we were on the trail going up to the dome
    [​IMG]

Camping in TN seems to be a real challenge if you want to camp at one of the state owned parks/lakes. We got REALLY lucky and got a camp spot with only 3 left - no electric, so we were doing it right LOL
    Douglas Lake in Seiverville, TN at sunrise...most beautiful sunrise I'd ever seen

[​IMG]

Mountains to me are just a symbol of beauty, and intimidation. I love them. I'd always dreamed of going out west to see the Rocky's. When I was a kid I begged my parents to take me to Denver, CO LOL Never happened, my dad told me I had to be happy with the Smoky's!

11. toth boer goats

toth boer goats Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Jul 20, 2008
    Corning California
    Wow...nice pics all......... :thumb: :wink:

12. nancy d

nancy d Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Oct 5, 2007
    near Seattle
    So much enjoy both of your pics!

I tell ya, mts everywhere at least stateside are nothing compared to the ones in Alaska they are way bigger in real life & just stunning!

13. Polarhug

Polarhug New Member

Jul 1, 2010
    Southcentral Alaska
    Breathtakingl view! I would love to take that drive sometime, you will have to show me where you go

14. HoosierShadow

Apr 19, 2010
    Central Kentucky
    I meant to ask Katrina - which camera did you end up settling with?

I agree Nancy - I have heard the mountains there are spectacular. A friend just took a cruise there last month and raved about how beautiful Alaska was, and that was after I begged and pleaded for her to pack me in her suitcase so I could go too! LOL!

I can imagine the weather up there changes quite a bit on the peaks. See a little bit of everything all in one day!

15. AlaskaBoers

AlaskaBoers New Member

May 6, 2008
    Wasilla Alaska
    Thanks!

I got a canon powershot.. same model :D next year I will upgrade.

I agree .. I LOVE ALASKA

16. LuvmyGoaties

LuvmyGoaties Member

Mar 8, 2010
    Great pics. I work for a pet supply company called PetEdge and we send many orders to a pet store called Pet Zoo that has locations in Wasilla, Palmer and a couple other Alaska towns. It is neat to "know" someone from one of the towns and to see pics, even if they are from a distance, of another of the towns.

Jen

17. AlaskaBoers

AlaskaBoers New Member

May 6, 2008
    Wasilla Alaska
    oh yeah Pet Zoo is downtown Wasilla, mostly small animals. Animal Food Warehouse is the Livestock feed store in Palmer (love that place)

18. mrs. lam

mrs. lam New Member

Apr 20, 2010
    Man I miss Alaska. :( I'm so tired of the hot weather. Baa Baa would love it. Not sure how the goats would like the winter. It is better than this cold, wet, mess we call winter here. :sigh: You know....goat coats are easy to make....Hey Honey....Let's load up the "kids" and go to Alaska! :greengrin:

Gina

19. Mully

Mully New Member

Jun 23, 2009
    Mt Ulla , NC
    Too funny ...here in NC they talk about weather in the mtns and the foothills all the time. Great photo what a view!!

20. AlaskaBoers

AlaskaBoers New Member

May 6, 2008
    Wasilla Alaska
    haha! actually my goat love the winter, 75 is just TOO hot :p