Pip kidded!

Discussion in 'Birth Announcements' started by lissablack, Mar 29, 2010.

1. lissablack

lissablack New Member

Nov 30, 2009
    Pip was totally a Champ!!!

She kidded last night before 9, it was rough. But I was able to get coaching over the phone from my vet, and so far everyone is doing okay. The first kid has a huge head. Plus both feet were back. I was able to get one foot out but not the other. When I felt that head I was really afraid. I know my vet, he is a friend too, and another friend was on the phone relaying what he was saying, when she said "Pull!" I got the command voice even though I wasn't hearing him directly, and was able to pull harder than I thought was reasonable, and he got born. And he is alive so far. The second kid is a doe! The first doe this year, I have five wethers to be and one doe. This doe has a fancy coat! And she is a pistol too. I went back and found some birth pictures of Pip and I think this kid has a longer body. I hope so. I won't breed her if she doesn't. And I won't breed Pip again.

Anyway, here is a shot that shows the head size difference:
    [​IMG]

And here is one of the two of them this morning. They are going to be called Bill and Judy, my brother in law wanted me to name them after them. He said it's okay Bill will be eaten.
    [​IMG]

The vet thinks Tsu may not really be pregnant since she was due last Friday and has no milk. We're going to wait til next weekend and then do an ultrasound if she hasn't kidded. I suspect he's right. He is trying to cut his herd down a lot, I might take a Saanen doe in milk from him if Tsu isn't pregnant.

So far I am really happy and relieved that everyone is doing all right. One or two to go.

Jan

2. RunAround

RunAround New Member

Feb 17, 2008
    Massachusetts
    Congrats on getting those kids out alive! :leap: :leap:

3. magilacudy

magilacudy Member

Mar 18, 2009
    Ontario
    Congrats!!!! Cute Kids!!

4. goatiegurl*Oh

goatiegurl*Oh Senior Member

Nov 10, 2007
    Ohio
    Good job,glad you got them out ok. That doe is very pretty,I love her coloring :thumb:

5. lissablack

lissablack New Member

Nov 30, 2009
    Thanks! I have been worried about this kidding since I bred her, at least, it is a great relief to have it over. I won't do it next time I have such a short bodied doe. I have little enough experience that I'm still learning major lessons every kidding season. The little buck is being extremely stupid about getting milk from her, so I have milked her to bottle feed him, I hope we can get over that. He took to the bottle like he was born to it. Anyway, she is an easy milker, with a nice udder. Her mother is longer (and has a gorgeous udder) and her brother, who is one of my bucks, is MUCH longer, so I'm hoping the little doe has a chance to be longer because she is also likely to be a good milker.

6. liz

liz Well-Known Member

Oct 5, 2007
    Shelocta PA
    :stars: CONGRATULATIONS!!

So glad you were able to help the buckling come into the world, I'm sure Pip is greatful too :hug:

Very pretty colored babies...amazing how quick they find their springs isn't it :love:

7. toth boer goats

toth boer goats Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Jul 20, 2008
    Corning California
    congrats....they are cute... :wink: :greengrin: :love:

8. lissablack

lissablack New Member

Nov 30, 2009
  9. toth boer goats

toth boer goats Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Jul 20, 2008
    Corning California